Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clean out bad gas
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denwilmat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Clean out bad gas Reply with quote

Greetings all!
I just joined this forum. I have a Thing that I've had for 25 years. Drove it regularly for pleasure for most of those years. Unfortunately, I neglected to run it for the past year and can't get it to start. I have siphoned all the old gas out of the tank and replaced it with several gallons of ethanol free gas. Engine turns over but won't start. Obviously there is bad gas forward that I was hoping if I cranked the engine for a while it will blow out. No such luck. So, I need advice on what to do. Are there things to check before rebuilding the carburetor? Thanks for any guidance!
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean out bad gas Reply with quote

Denwilmat wrote:
Unfortunately, I neglected to run it for the past year and can't get it to start.

I wouldn't be quite so focused on bad gas being the issue... We were able to start and drive our '65 earlier this year... on gas from the late 1990's. Shocked
It was way down on power of course. But it started, idled, and ran just fine. It idled beautifully in fact. Shocked

If you pull the air cleaner off and work the throttle a few times, can you see fuel squirting out of the accelerator pump nozzle? If so, pump the pedal a few times while cranking, and see if it kicks. If so, but it won't start or won't keep running, time to clean out the carb. If gas doesn't come out, either the float is stuck or something upstream in the fuel system is suspect.

If you see fuel come out the accelerator pump nozzle but it DOESN'T kick when cranking and pumping, time to look over the ignition system. Wink
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean out bad gas Reply with quote

Oh, and:
Denwilmat wrote:
Greetings all!
I just joined this forum.

Welcome to TheSamba. Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the points have gotten corroded the engine may not start. Determining if you have spark would be a good place to start.

FWIW, a rig with a tank of 20 year old fuel may well start and run better than a rig with 4 month old gasohol.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!! It's awesome you've had your Thing so long, and a wonder it took you so long to find the samba!! Lol....

GreAt advice so far...
Only 3things that engine needs to run...... Fuel, fire and air....
Air is there, unless the carb throat is stuff with a rag...... Wink

A simple test for fuel is to remove the outlet hose from the fuel pump, and crank the engine over.. If fuel flows, then you know it's an ignition problem..

Quick test for ignition would be to pull a spark plug wire from the distributor and have someone crank the engine while you hold the wire "near" it's terminal in the cap.. Watch for an arc, if so, then you know it has fire...

Good truck, let us know where ya end up!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
fragile_this_side_up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the same situation... except mine only sat for a month!!! Sad ran when we bought it. then we neglected to start it weekly.. now it won't start. i think i flooded it out. mine's on a hill as well so i'm thinking carb issue.

good luck.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

hey Guys,

just sayin,

if you want to rule out the gas tank itself, due to rust corrosion, etc.

I (when i discovered my tank was full of rust particles) just bypassed
the tank with a 5gal tank and a hose to the fuel pump.

But, the carb, pump, float, jets, all that can be funked up too.

In my case, rust particles and old tank sealer turned my fuel filter purple and the particles clogged the carb, had to dissasemble twice to fix, and replaced the tank and screen.

Side note, will starting fluid start the engine, if so the electrics are good.
problem then could be fuel system related.

hope that helps

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Denwilmat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the help and advice! I'm a little behind on doing my homework, since its been so freaking cold in my unheated garage! So here's where I am.

I disconnected the fuel filter and replaced it. When I crank the engine the fuel does run through the line but very slowly. In fact, it took a long time to even fill up the fuel filter, and I notice after I stop there is some back flow (the gas goes back down on the filter. Not sure what the fuel pump is, but if it's got a diaphragm could that have a hole in it? Can I take off the fuel pump and look at it?

I got some starter fluid and sprayed into the carborator intake and the car starts right up, so I know my ignition system is operational. Of course once the fuel start fuel runs out, the engine stops.

So before I go to look into the carborator, how can I make sure my fule pump is working correctly?

And then what's the advice of cleaning the carborator? Is it something I should try to tackle? Are there any videos/pictures of cleaning the carborator on this site?

Thanks for your advice in advance. Spring is coming and I gots to get my Thing out ;-}
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check to see what kind of pressure your fuel pump is putting out, but since they are so cheap it would be easier to just buy another pump and install it. There are specs for how far the pump actuation rod needs to stick up out of the guide.

Starter fluid is H@!! on engines, best to not use it.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denwilmat wrote:
Spring is coming and I gots to get my Thing out ;-}

Don't get arrested for indecent exposure! Laughing

Free, 2 person fuel pump check:

Make sure car in in N. Disable dizzy.
Disconnect fuel line from carb.
Aim/stick hose into bucket or other receptacle.
Have other person crank.
You should get strong spurts of gasoline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Denwilmat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I didn't have any one around to help me, but I put an extention tube on the outflow to a bucket. I cranked the engine multiple times and there was only a little bit of gas in the bucket. Should I check to see if my engine has an enlarged prostate? Laughing I will try with a helper to confirm. So then where can I buy a fuel pump?

Since the car has been sitting for over a year, should I go ahead and change the oil while I'm at it? Not sure about oil break down science.
Thanks for helping me!!!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy yourself a copy of John Muir's Idiot Book and do some reading. Also search on line to learn about your local VW clubs to get info on repair shops and parts houses close to you.
Denwilmat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sage advice, guess you and John Muir have me pegged. Embarassed I ordered his last edition. I will need to clean out the Victoria Secrets Catalogs near the throne to make room. I was looking for a Robert Bentley book on the Type 181/Thing and can not find one. Is there a book specific for the Thing?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denwilmat wrote:
So, I didn't have any one around to help me, but I put an extention tube on the outflow to a bucket. I cranked the engine multiple times and there was only a little bit of gas in the bucket. Should I check to see if my engine has an enlarged prostate? Laughing I will try with a helper to confirm. So then where can I buy a fuel pump?

Since the car has been sitting for over a year, should I go ahead and change the oil while I'm at it? Not sure about oil break down science.
Thanks for helping me!!!

That's why you need a helper/cranker. You'll need to SEE the gas spurt. It'll only be about ~1/4 cup (if that much)per crank, so you'll wanna see if it spurts or dribbles out. Also, if the car has been sitting, it could be hardening of the arteries (clogged fuel line). To test that, you'll need to supply fuel directly to the pump, not from the tank.

You may be able to find a fuel pump at your local auto parts store, or you may have to order it online.

After you've sorted out your fuel supply issues, I urge you to put a cheapy plastic fuel filter under the tank, or near the trans. Just not in the engine room. Also, swage (sp) the copper tube into the carb, or at least wire-wrap it, so as to avoid accidental disconnect. (I just saw a picture of what I'm talking about, but can't find it now.)
Good Luck! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denwilmat wrote:
I was looking for a Robert Bentley book on the Type 181/Thing and can not find one. Is there a book specific for the Thing?

A Thing is not much more than a Beetle with a different set of clothes. Buy a Bentley for a Beetle of the same time period.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denwilmat wrote:
I was looking for a Robert Bentley book on the Type 181/Thing and can not find one. Is there a book specific for the Thing?

Best bet is the Bentley 'Orange' manual that covers VW's from 1970 to 1979, http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Official-Service-...ce+manuals. Try to locate an early edition that has the color wiring diagrams in the back. There will not be an 'Thing' specific items in the manual, and a color wirning diagram can be obtained from the Technical section of TheSamba . . .

As to your fuel issue, gasohol will gum up in a 'New York minute.'
Denwilmat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang!
Okay, so Im fairly certain its a bad fuel pump. I disconnected the intake gas line and blew air towards gas tank and it bubbled in the tank and gas flows fine. I cranked the engine and very little gas flows out of the pump. I'm ready to replace the pump. Can I just get one from auto zone or Napa? I would also like to replace the rubber/mesh lines. Where can I get these? The ones at Autozone are just rubbe an slightly bigger. Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denwilmat wrote:
Hey gang!
Okay, so Im fairly certain its a bad fuel pump. I disconnected the intake gas line and blew air towards gas tank and it bubbled in the tank and gas flows fine. I cranked the engine and very little gas flows out of the pump. I'm ready to replace the pump. Can I just get one from auto zone or Napa? I would also like to replace the rubber/mesh lines. Where can I get these? The ones at Autozone are just rubbe an slightly bigger. Thanks

Pumps are readily available from many sources. Don't know what brand Autozone or NAPA might be selling, but sometimes you can get good parts through them. There are certainly plenty of online vendors who can set you up with good parts.

Here are a bunch of places listed as being in Va:

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_search_map.php?state_id=46

You want to use either 30r9 or 30r14 fuel line as they are resistant to today's alcohol laced fuels. The Gates Barricade 30r14 hose is available in both a 1/4" and 3/16" sizes, IIRC.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: