Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car Storage Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Car Storage Question Reply with quote

Running out of body work weather here in the Midwest. I will have the bodywork done on the chassis of my 56 Oval and some high build 2K urethane primer covering it. It has to be stored in my attached 2 car garage until spring returns. Does anybody have a recommendation on a car cover that might protect it from the high humidity over the winter, or would that even help? I sure saw what it can do to exposed metal last winter. I actually thought about shrink wrapping it. Stupid idea? any thoughts? Thanks for any thoughts... Jeff
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humidity typically drops in the winter. A car cover wont help. If your car is inside and the garage is reasonably clean and free from major drafts, etc. you really should be ok. The only thing that I've seen that might help is a bubble, you drive in, seal it & inflate - basically a climate controlled environment. rather pricey and doubtful as to help. I used a car bag years ago. But that was outside. Just leave it in primer & as long as the garage is not damp, you should be fine. About the only thing car covers do is keep excessive amounts of dust off, uva off and dust trapped under it.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.carbag.com

I have one for each of my Beetles - they work exactly as the website describes.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, mine was a shelterking, same procedure (light indoor cover then the bag) - about the same price - despite the "warning" I used it outside and as long as you didn't allow moisture in through the zipper & kept it out of extreme temp spikes - it worked fine, so inside it'd be fine, but to me overkill and not sure that it would reduce humidity (I never checked). But I wouldn't bother with just a cover.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You car will come out of the carbag the same way it went in. I use to have disc brakes on my '56 and the rotors never had a speck of rust when the car came out of the bag.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to leave my bus in epoxy primer for a few years, after leaving town for work. It was left in a non temperature controlled barn, in an area that has very high humidity over summer. I left it in a 4layer Breathable cover and it is fine. The 4 layered breathable fabric allows air movement and seems to wick away surface condensation/moisture before it reaches the car. Mine came from WWest, I can definitely recommend it as long as its in a leak free garage. Also make sure there are no thin areas of primer, on sharp edges etc if there are give them a squirt.

Definitely dont use cling wrap as you were thinking, or anything that effectively creates air pockets/trapped air, in a humid environment with temperature fluctuations you will be creating moisture….
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to leave my bus in epoxy primer for a few years, after leaving town for work. It was left in a non temperature controlled barn, in an area that has very high humidity over summer. I left it in a 4layer Breathable cover and it is fine. The 4 layered breathable fabric allows air movement and seems to wick away surface condensation/moisture before it reaches the car. Mine came from WWest, I can definitely recommend it as long as its in a leak free garage. Also make sure there are no thin areas of primer, on sharp edges etc if there are give them a squirt.

Definitely dont use cling wrap as you were thinking, or anything that effectively creates air pockets/trapped air, in a humid environment with temperature fluctuations you will be creating moisture….
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the worst possible environment. I have to keep my primary car in the garage, so I haul in ice and slush..The concrete floor stays wet from the sweating and fall off until the spring thaw. Even if I didn't haul the water in from the outside, the air stays wet enough to keep the floor wet with condensation. Would the carbag keep the humidity out? Do you use the desiccant they sell?
Center Pin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a dehumidifier in my shop (Vancouver BC) and was amazed the first time i did. Now I do it all winter.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then go with the car bag. You can check either of the two that were mentioned and look at materials. Remember - car cover is only going to cover the top of the car - the bag will cover it all. Joey seems sold on it, me - if your garage is that bad - go ahead and get one. Just make sure the zipper is up off the ground and you might want to duct tape it shut and I got about 4 or more of the dehumidifier bricks that I put in each corner and in the middle (its been awhile and don't remember where I got them or what they were called, don't think they came with the bag - maybe.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The desiccant comes with the purchase of the carbag - it's re-usable.

My unheated/uninsulated garage gets damp because of the temperature swings we get here during winter... one day it's -10C and the next it's +10C. I have two ceiling fans going which keeps the moisture down a bit but the floor gets damp. I lay down sheets of plywood to go under the car and carbag...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Been doing it this way for 9 years and the car always comes out of the bag 5-6 months later looking like the day it went in. I roll the ends of the bag where the carbags zipper starts/ends and put old CV joints on to keep them put.

JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great input. Joey has me sold on the carbag... sounds like he's got the same nasty winter we do. Joey.... what size do you use for the bug? It looks like the smallest one would work. Thanks
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size S2 is for VW Beetles.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: