Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Solex vs Zenith carbs
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Early Solex vs Zenith carbs Reply with quote

I've read that the Zenith 32 NDIX carbs were a big improvement over the early Solex carbs (32/40 PBIC). Would someone tell me why?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman

Last edited by gimmesomeshelter on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Paul. The 32NDIX were fitted really on the arrival of the 356A T2 cars around 1958. they were fitted to both the normal and super engines but the super had a larger venturi and jets.

However the Solex P11-4 were still used right through 356 production on the super 90, Carrera 1600GS and 356C SC cars.

I like the Zenith carbs, if well looked after they are responsive reliable carbs and easy to set up. But they have to be leakfree and balanced to work really well.

So Paul, both Solex and Zenith worked well for 356, maybe pricing from the factory point of view or the fact Zenith 32 versions were more easily suited to provide the carburation for 60 or 75 hp versions just with changing venturi and jet sizes.

I do think though (although I believe spacing was the problem ) a choke would have been nice on the Zenith carbs. They had the blanking cover where a system could be mounted. Accelerator pumps have always worked for me, but never so easy as pulling out a choke knob.

I expect someone on here has the definitive answer Question

Roy
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
The early Solex carbs were single throat (32pbic or 40pbic) with balance tubes running from side to side. The Zeniths were dual throat carbs and with a throat per cylinder, no balance tube was used. The use of a throat per cylinder gave smoother idle and generally smoother running, but not more power. The Solex carbs used on Super 90's and 912's (40pii-4) were also dual throat carbs, with similar advantages as well as larger for higher hp.
Alan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Solex vs Zenith carbs Reply with quote

I have run both the PBIC 32 and the Zenith 32 Dual carbs on 356A's I always felt the Zenith were nicer. Definitely they (Zeniths)had more overall performance with more top end as well as better torque down low. The little PBIC's though were great, Never had any trouble with them less tune and balancing issues Not that the Zenith 32's were a problem it is that I just was always messing with them because those big idle mixture thumb screws were so inviting. The Zenith 32's would do better on MPG's if I let them.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Solex vs Zenith carbs Reply with quote

What was the venturi size in the Solex PBIC-32's? I never took mine apart and now they have long gone. One time I tried a PBIC-32 on a stock single port manifold engine. Plugged the Air correction jet with a toothpick made a gasket and used some smaller sized bolts with nuts bolted it aboard that type 1 VW engine. Really totally woke it up.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early Solex vs Zenith carbs Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
What was the venturi size in the Solex PBIC-32's? I never took mine apart and now they have long gone. One time I tried a PBIC-32 on a stock single port manifold engine. Plugged the Air correction jet with a toothpick made a gasket and used some smaller sized bolts with nuts bolted it aboard that type 1 VW engine. Really totally woke it up.

WOW, THAT'S EASY.
I have a pair lying on the bookshelf in my apartment. Funny thing how those Germans are. Visible from the top, there is A PART NUMBER on the venturi: 32-26. Whadya think- 26mm?
This on a 32PBIC. From a 1956 1600n engine. Over the years there were PBIC's and PICB's and others. I believe the Super carbs 40PICB's were the basis for the Brazil Solex 40's. Very similar, I think.
BTW, I recently see a Ebay vendor in Italy selling all kinds of NOS part for these. Including new throttle shafts.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: