Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CIP1 Front blank disc rotors useless for 5x130 drills?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: CIP1 Front blank disc rotors useless for 5x130 drills? Reply with quote

Hello folks, ok here is the problem i have encountered:
I 've bought some time ago and from CIP1 (that i consider a great supplier) a beetle front conversion disc kit for Ball Joint front ends http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4121 I've bought the kit with blank rotors so to drill them in a 5x130 pattern.
Actually i'd liked to buy the kit with rotors already drilled and with studs pressed in but they where out of stock since long times so i choosed the blank solution and do the job myself.
Other than charge $40 for the blank rotors as specified on their website (and, i dunno why...), they clearly recommend these rotors for special custom (so many..) drill patterns as reported in the advertise section : "Special note about our BLANK (not drilled for bolt pattern) rotors. We offer these rotors for the customer who needs a special bolt pattern which is NOT offered. Any qualified machine shop should be able to drill at tap your special bolt pattern without any problem. YOU must make sure that the shop you choose is qualified, as once these rotors have been machined and or installed, they are not returned or warrantable for ANY REASON!" .
Ok, so what kind of NOT OFFERED bolt pattern i suppose to do other than a mandatory 4 lug pattern due to the four ribbed internal shape of these blank and not flat rotors???
Now from what you can see in my picture, the inside of the rotor is not FLAT as the other drilled rotor they offer (like the 10 holes Chevy/Porsche for example...) but is shaped so to not leave any chance to do 5 or more hole to accept different pattern other than 4 drills for a 4 lug pattern. I think it will be to dangerous to drill and press stud out of the four large reinforced aread of the inside.
Now, the curious thing is that Cip1 stand for the possibility to custom drill these rotors for a multiple choice of pattern but they only put 1 picture of this rotor and just from the outside.
Maybe, if i had the opportunity to see more pictures of the rotor even from the inside before buy the kit i would have considere a different options...
So why the say that you can drill them 5x130 and then you cannot do this?
The problem is that i live in Italy and any cosideration of substitution would be merely impossible due to high shipping rates to send back the rotors..
Again, why CIP1 dont sell these option with a flat inside portion of the rotor or just put some more explanatory pics of the inside of the rotors?
Surely I would not have taken the kit with these blank rotors that are completely useless for 5x130 drill and press stud application if only they had put pictures of the inside that i supposed was FLAT!
My question is if anybody of you had my same trouble or if someone tried and drilled this same rotors in 5x130 pattern.
Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.

Tony.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have confirmation from a competent machine shop that these cannot be drilled for 130MM, or are you just assuming this because the back is not flat?

I could put holes in those webs with a mill, no sweat. Not sure if you're supposed to, but it could be done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,well, i pretty much work closely with a machine shop that follow me in all my projects and yes, he is in doubt like me not much for the location where to drill but because you will have to perfect flat align and spot face the holes for the press stud i intend to use in this "jungle" of ribbed section and second due to the poor casting of the rotors...i know it would be way better to work with flat surfaces...
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it would be best if it was flat, but maybe there's a screw in stud that you an use instead? Drill and tap from the front side.

Hell I don't know man, but throwing away good rotors after bring them all the way from California would be a shame.

Buona Fortuna!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
Agreed, it would be best if it was flat, but maybe there's a screw in stud that you an use instead? Drill and tap from the front side.

Hell I don't know man, but throwing away good rotors after bring them all the way from California would be a shame.

Buona Fortuna!

Ahahaha!
I will give them a chance before try another solution...
Thanks again and hope you enjoyed the godd surf lately in Cali!
Tony
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same way we do drums...
You over lap the web for 4 lug and mill the web surface down to the flat surface in the stud area only to accept the stud head.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to relax me wagnut... Wink
I will work the "best" area and try to stay away from the big rib sections as best as i can and put the studs on the obelapped worked spots.
Speakin of it, what size/brand you usually use for press in stud? I've rekon that only Dorman make good m14x1.5 solutions..What can you suggest?
Thanks.
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates.
Emailed to Cip1, talked to Gary, explained me that the often do this jobs in-houde with no problems.
Thanks again Cip1 for your reply and you nice customer support!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: