Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help on how to split reduction boxes
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spqreddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Help on how to split reduction boxes Reply with quote

Dear All,
i have tried to seach the forum but didnt find anything specific,
please delete this post if another discussion on the subject is already present.

I am having troubble in splitting the reduction boxes halves of my 67 Split window panel van.

There is any special technique i can try other than a plastic mallet?
i have umbolted every bolt, the boxes remain only attacched from the half axle tube.

What should i expect inside? the half axle keep the top brearing with a circe clip right?
the top bearing is pressed into the external half of the reduction box correct?
Also strangerly enough, i have to different diameter axle shafts bolt coming out of the reduction boxes, wich is the correct one for a 1967 model?

Thanks!
Eddie
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple raised areas around the edge of the outter cover that can be used to tap the cover off. Just make sure you have all the bolts removed first
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on how to split reduction boxes Reply with quote

spqreddie wrote:
There is any special technique i can try other than a plastic mallet?

As chrisflstf said find the extra casting on the outer half and alternate hitting those areas. I use a brass drift punch. Also find a 17mm Allen wrench and put it in the fill and drain holes (after placing the plugs) to hit against but use patience rather than force.

spqreddie wrote:
What should i expect inside?

A world of pain.

Better to look a picture than any bogus description I could come up with.

spqreddie wrote:
...half axle keep the top brearing with a circe clip right?

Yes if you mean TOP axle.

spqreddie wrote:
...the top bearing is pressed into the external half of the reduction box correct?

Interference fit.

spqreddie wrote:
...i have to different diameter axle shafts

One side will disassemble differently than the other is subtle ways. In some ways the smaller nut one will seem easier.

spqreddie wrote:
...wich is the correct one for a 1967 model?

The one with the big nut.

Are both drums the same outside braking surface diameter the same?
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it the same way, using a flat punch and a hammer. To keep stress off of the shovel end of the axle in the side gear and the large snap ring, I put a piece of wood flat against the end of the stub axle with a knee against it. This keeps the outward force when banging on the outer case from pulling on the axle in the side gear.
spqreddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you all guys,
after my initial post i have found something more on the forum with some pictures as well, i was not doing the right search, i should have looked for RGB.
i saw many people do the job with the transmission out, i am tring with the transmission and the half axles on working without taking them out of the van.
Is this possible?
might not have all the tools and the bearings seems fine so i might just change the oilrings and oil seals, the real reason why i wanted to open them was to understand why one of the two shafts final endwhere the is the drum/axle nut has a smaller thread.
Also driver side box is a bit noisy now that there is no oil in.

BarryL wrote:

spqreddie wrote:
...i have to different diameter axle shafts

One side will disassemble differently than the other is subtle ways. In some ways the smaller nut one will seem easier.

spqreddie wrote:
...wich is the correct one for a 1967 model?

The one with the big nut.

Are both drums the same outside braking surface diameter the same?

Barry, the boxes looks the same, it's just the axle nut that is smaller! i wanted to open them to count the theet and see if i have a different ration on the two sides.
Or even if the nuts are different the gears have the same ration on the two models?

The drums also are the same diameter.

Thanks!
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "axle" I assume that you mean stub axle. The axle on each side would be the same. You have a 46 mm stub axle in one RGB and a 36mm stub axle in the other RGB? (Did I get this right?) The big stub axle RGB takes a bigger drum than the small stub axle RGB, unless the small stub axle RGB is a one ton. Each RGB would have a different gear ratio, the big stub axle one being geared higher. Has the bus been driven with the two different RGBs in place? You need to put a big stub axle RGB on the other side.
spqreddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
By "axle" I assume that you mean stub axle. The axle on each side would be the same. You have a 46 mm stub axle in one RGB and a 36mm stub axle in the other RGB? (Did I get this right?) The big stub axle RGB takes a bigger drum than the small stub axle RGB, unless the small stub axle RGB is a one ton. Each RGB would have a different gear ratio, the big stub axle one being geared higher. Has the bus been driven with the two different RGBs in place? You need to put a big stub axle RGB on the other side.

Dear Campy,
yes, one bigger and one smaller, but the Drums seems to be of the same diameter, may be they rethreded a worn stub axle in the past??
the RGB seems the same by looking at them.
Now i am away from the garage and can not check, but i guess i really need now to take the RGB apart to be sure i have the same ration on the two sides..
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can count teeth by looking into the oil fill hole and turn the stub axle one full turn. Clean one tooth with a Q-tip and paint it with a felt pen. Count how many teeth it has and mark it down. Turn the stub axle one full turn by marking the drum or axle and count the turns of the upper axle plus any teeth after that. Then do the math.

Your setup must include one "Big Nut" swing axle and one "One Ton" (one year only '63) swing axle if the drums are the same braking-surface diameter. As long as the ratio is the same you're ok to keep those.
spqreddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
You can count teeth by looking into the oil fill hole and turn the stub axle one full turn. Clean one tooth with a Q-tip and paint it with a felt pen. Count how many teeth it has and mark it down. Turn the stub axle one full turn by marking the drum or axle and count the turns of the upper axle plus any teeth after that. Then do the math.

Your setup must include one "Big Nut" swing axle and one "One Ton" (one year only '63) swing axle if the drums are the same braking-surface diameter. As long as the ratio is the same you're ok to keep those.

Barry,
thanks for this tip! yes, i will do that before eventually dismantle it,
this is how i receive the bus.. not aware if any mods has beed done put probably if it has had a problem in the pust the prevous owner might just have bougth a spare RGB at a junk yard and putted it on without caring much.

i hope the ratio is the same or the differential might think i am permanentely turning around!

Thanks, as soon as i will be able to go back to the garage i'll check and revert,
Edmondo
conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple turns of this homemade puller it came right off of my bus. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spqreddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad1468 wrote:

Nice tip! thanks
harrywt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad1468 wrote:

Conrad1468 inspired me

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: