Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Optima Red Top Battery
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otbiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Optima Red Top Battery Reply with quote

Has anyone fitted a Red Top into the Beetle? Any complications?
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have one in both of my vws,fit perfect and are actually shorter than most batteries!
supermanbidder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: What model number are you using Reply with quote

What model number for the red optima battery are you using i need to find one that fits my 76 bug sedan
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the optima batteries of today are not the same batteries as they were years ago. They are pretty much overpriced boat anchors at this point.
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had better luck with Walmart batteries. I was able to put a bigger battery in my fastback that has double the CCA and reserve capacity.And they have double the warranty.

I have replaced optima's in under 2 years because they stop taking a charge and for what they cost and get pro rated for, its not worth it.
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty happy with my 6 volt Optima. A previous owner fashioned a plexiglas top for it that holds it in place in a diagonal position within the battery tray. Lasts about 4 or 5 years before it needs to be replaced. It will take a charge via a "smart" charger and in the past I've actually overcharged it. But I agree there are probably cheaper alternatives that are equally good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If the image doesn't display I'm not sure why...

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs are relatively east on batteries, because they are low compression engines. The 12v starter motor is either 0.5hp or 0.7hp (semi-auto) so only run around 50-70 amps when cranking and about 3 times that for the initial surge current to start the engine spinning (roughly 150-200 amps).

So anything from 220 amps CCA rating is enough, and a battery of more than around 300CCA is probably overkill (it will work fine but you'll be paying more than you need to).

Bugs are also kind to batteries because they are not subjected to engine heat and, being under the back seat, stay at more even temps than just about any other car battery.

Just make sure the one you buy is the right physical size and has the lugs near the bottom so it will sit in the correct position and be held in place with the single clamp bracket. If you can't find one with a protected + terminal, lay a piece of rubber mat or similar over the top so heavy rear seat passengers will not short out the battery on the seat springs.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I will jinx myself, but I have optimas in 3 out of 4 that are on the road. Oldest one is 6 years old and has well over 20,000 miles on it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riverzendz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red tops in all my cars and a blue top in the Jeep. Not one has ever had any problem and some are as old as 4 years. I have a spare sitting here to put in the bug when the cheap Advanced Auto batt. dies.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run optimas in my Impala. They lasted quite a bit longer when I drove the car everyday. As soon as I started leaving it alone for a week or so at a time, the Optimas died pretty quickly, not sure why. I switched to a Die hard about 5 years ago, no issues since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a cheap 6v battery from O'Reillys in my 59 bug with the og 36hp if i let the car sit to long it wouldn't crank then i put a cold start relay on it it worked ok but not the greatest i had to push start my car more than starting it with the starter. i was so glad when that battery died so i bought the 6v optima battery at napa cause i knew someone there that i got it for cost. and i took the hard start relay off and it starts every time i couldn't complain about it at all. i just couldn't afford changing out the gen to a 12v they cost so much for a 36hp motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: