Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bump Steer Thoughts
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Bump Steer Thoughts Reply with quote

I'm putting together a Berrien chassis buggy and working on the steering column. In order to get the column at the angle that matches the body and have a straight line to the steering box, I had to rotate the steering box up a bit. The rotation of the steering box plus the lightly loaded front end of course puts the tie rods at a fairly extreme angle and I'm anticipating bump steer issues. So...

Looking at the steering box and tie rods, it seemed as though the obvious solution was have inner tie rod ends mate to the bottom of the pittman arm, not the top as it does stock. With the Berrien chassis I have more room here than a normal pan so this looks like a viable option that would put the tie rods at an almost perfect (flat) angle with the buggy normally loaded. How to do this the next question.

Thought 1 was to flip the pittman arm over. I think the toothed shaft coming out of the steering box isn't tapered, but the two tie rod end point holes are not symmetrical so I'm afraid that might have some unintended consequences.

Thought 2 is to do the opposite of what the guys running lowered beetles, and lots of other vehicles do. They flip the outer tie rod end at the spindles from top to bottom to get back to a more normal flat tie rod angle. What I think would work in my case is to flip the inner tie rod ends from the top of the pittman arm to the bottom. I haven't checked but I assume the taper on the tie rod ends is the same for inner and outer. In that case these or something similar should work:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C12-6613-11

Any Comments?

Dave
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use those taper adapters make sure your Pitman arm is post '68 with the larger tapers as drilling an earlier one would leave it really thin. You'd need to use post-'68 tie rod ends with those adapters like it says in the listing anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole front end is '74 vintage, so is has the larger tapers.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to keep your steering box at the stock angle and put a couple U-joints in the steering column.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle steering shafts and columns have no lower bearing.. thus requires the straight and solid connection to the steering gear to support it.

The coupling at the steering gear provides lower support to the steering shaft and also keeps the shaft at one fixed length.
If you alter much past a straight shaft the steering wheel will wobble as you turn it as the lower coupling tries to fiight the now imperfect circle.
If you were to ad U joints mid shaft, the lower shaft would no longer be supported and it would flop within the coulmn tube and attempt to move the shaft in and out ..

A lower bearing or bushing would need to be added as well as a shaft lock to keep it from traveling in and out.

As for this issue and question.. IMO...
I say the flip kit bushings for the inner tie rods may work well provided your steering damper clears your frame, as its shaft angle would then be lower.
Thats an easy fix by changing the damper mount.

Flipping the pitman arm probably wont work as it is offset biased to one side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the positive comments. I like the idea of doing it this way and keeping the simplicity of the stock column configuration.

I'll mock it up tomorrow and see how it all looks. I have an old set of tie rods I can just grind the shafts down on so can test this without drilling out the pittman arm.

Dave
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people cut the 7° taper on the other side, 1/2 depth, so the tie rod end fits the same from either side.

You can put 1 universal joint in the steering linkage without needing a second bearing in the steering column. I wish there was a ready-made u-joint made to replace the rag joint.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Beetle steering shafts and columns have no lower bearing.. thus requires the straight and solid connection to the steering gear to support it.

The steering column tube is just a tube. Putting a second bearing in the bottom is just a matter of, putting a second bearing in the bottom.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... That's 100% true...
To use a stock bearing at the lower tube requires a spring or lock to keep it all seated properly.
There are after market self supporting bearings available.
I personally use a bushing and collar shaft lock inside the tube when needed.

Just note...if the shaft and box are out of line and fixed length shafts are used even with U joints the main steering shaft needs to be secured from in and out travel as well.
Using a flex or sliding secondary lower shaft helps the issue but the main shaft still needs to locked from in and out potential.

Just noting not arguing...

Way more than one way to configure steering.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have seen people cut the 7° taper on the other side, 1/2 depth, so the tie rod end fits the same from either side."

This is exactly what I was considering. Yes, you have less areafor the tie-rod to to arm contact point, but I prefer this to drilling out the entire thing for a sleeve where you remove a lot more material from the pittman arm.

Hope to get this mocked up today but other obligations may interfere

Dave
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you making your own tie rods? If so. Think about using heim joints instead of the outer ball joints. Drill out the tapered hole on the spindle, use bushings and a bolt to set to proper height.
dlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick with the simple approach first which is just the flip of the inner tie rod ends. Stock Tie rods. Just taper ream half way in from the other (bottom) side.

Which raises another question. Does anyone know the exact taper for the stock tie rod ends? I can't seem to find a spec anywhere. I took some measurements tonight and came up with a 10:1 taper or just under 6 degrees. I do see there are 10:1 tapers. Anybody have the correct number?

Dave
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple solution I recommended allows for fine tuning adjustment. Make sure before you modify your pitman arm that you achieve the angle you desire, because it won't be adjustable.

These parts aren't so unique or expensive that you can't change it later if it doesn't work. Good luck with your project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: