Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Braunbaer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the van back on the road it was time to get the interior back in.

I really considered doing a Lizard Skin insulation/sound control application. But, in the end I decided that was more work/time/money than I could spare right now. Having pulled the entire van apart, the idea of pulling the interior again doesn't really seem like a big deal, so I can always change it later if I want to.

Keeping it simple I started with a Dynamat layer for some sound control. I found this stuff really easy to work with, and it does make a difference. I drove during different stages of installation and you could hear the van become quieter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After that I applied a pretty good coat of Waxoyl to the interior of all panels and the floor, especially at any seams. I used the Professional (light amber coloured product) inside the van and also any parts of the van I could spray into from outside. I've been using the black Hardwax to touch up areas on the undercarriage and also on the skid protectors and other parts like that. Also quite a bit of fluid film in different locations. I've found the aerosol cans to work pretty well, and they are convenient. Always easy to add a bit more here and there.

After that I put the stock insulation back in. I know a lot of people will frown on this, but it seems that all the rust inside my van was a result of water leaking in. In areas that hadn't seen leakage there was no rust even after 28 years. The climate here is very dry, and like a said, I can always change it. I plan to check up on it occasionally. The insulation behind the camper equipment was nasty, I found this

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/multi-purpose-ecot...ch-/905958

which aside from the colour is identical to the original stuff.

I also needed to replace the original plywood/fiberboard floor as some of it had water damage. I wanted something similar, and the factory plywood is very light and not exactly a standard thickness. I discovered that cork flooring is about 11mm thick, which puts it within a mm of the original flooring. It's also nice and light. I found 3 boxes on Kijiji (ended up using 1 and a bit), and installed it in the same fashion as the original floor.

SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice. Giving me some great ideas. Thanks Wink
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on your girl!! Really impressed. Such an attention to detail has me dreaming about getting back into the garage. Next spring if you're wanting to head south drop me a line. Maybe we can get a bunch of westies together to go for a bit of a run and to grab lunch or dinner somewhere.
Cheers,
Mike

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
Well done. An obvious intentional attention to detail. Looking for a job??? Smile
Jeff

Thanks Jeff! You may not have know it, but I'm already working for you--in the advertising department. I've been wearing my Jeff's Old Volks Home t-shirt all over Alberta! Cool
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncromikey wrote:
Excellent job on your girl!! Really impressed. Such an attention to detail has me dreaming about getting back into the garage. Next spring if you're wanting to head south drop me a line. Maybe we can get a bunch of westies together to go for a bit of a run and to grab lunch or dinner somewhere.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks! I'd like to get together, especially with some of the other Syncro owners (2WD welcome too). I know there are a few of us between Edmonton and Calgary.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng wrote:
Syncromikey wrote:
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks! I'd like to get together, especially with some of the other Syncro owners (2WD welcome too). I know there are a few of us between Edmonton and Calgary.

I like where this is going! I'm just a bit further south and would be interested in a rocky mountain gtg. Spring campout?
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van is looking great!!!! Are you going to get some use of it this summer??

On a nice summer day would love to see it and your hard work

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you.

Nice job, now just get the garage roof raised or the floor lowered!

Last edited by Steve M. on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noblecr wrote:
The van is looking great!!!! Are you going to get some use of it this summer??

On a nice summer day would love to see it and your hard work

Cheers

Hopefully this will be the summer we finally get some real camping with it, the kids are definitely putting the pressure on!

Definitely happy to get together sometime to compare vans. Feel free to post back or PM me once the weather gets a bit nicer.
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Good on you.

Nice job, now just the the garage roof raised or the floor lowered!

I have looked at that garage many times wishing there was an easy (cheap!) way to get the van inside.

It was my daily driver through Sept/Oct so I could get some miles on it. Overall I am pretty happy with it, but there are a few shakedown issues I need to follow-up on, but with winters like ours and no inside space to work on it I have mostly just had it parked for the winter.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Good on you.

Nice job, now just the the garage roof raised or the floor lowered!

I have looked at that garage many times wishing there was an easy (cheap!) way to get the van inside.

It was my daily driver through Sept/Oct so I could get some miles on it. Overall I am pretty happy with it, but there are a few shakedown issues I need to follow-up on, but with winters like ours and no inside space to work on it I have mostly just had it parked for the winter.

Outside space in the winter just is a p.i.t.a.
I've known a few friends who have dug up their concrete floor in the garage to "lower" it then trying to raise the roof. Sometimes though you get lucky and just can get away with cutting out the top of the door frame, but I couldn't see it with your house from the picture. Really good glamour pics!
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb job!
What exhaust system did you use?
Must'a missed it on your post, bolt right on? Stainless?
Thanks.
Ogi
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder why vw didn't put same sound deading as others? My old '84gl was quiet ,my 88westy is very quiet, my syncro, well u all know that story, almost as noisy as my old '70 bay.
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
Superb job!
What exhaust system did you use?

I have the Vanistan/RMW SS exhaust. It was easy to install, and overall I am happy with it. There were a couple of things that had been bugging me though. One was the downward slope to the right, which it seems has been noticed by most people with this exhaust. The other was that I had leakage at most of the band clamp joints, especially where the J-pipe enters the cat.

With the weather warmed up and some time to work on the van I decided try and remedy these issues. Mission accomplished!

Before adjustment:

After adjustment:

I am a lot happier with the fit now. I also have zero exhaust leaks.

If you follow through the installation instructions for this exhaust you would end up with the band clamp at the J-pipe on top of the bracket. To get an alignment I was happier with I loosened everything off, and moved this clamp to the bottom side of the bracket.

When I tightened everything up I used an exhaust joint sealer on all joints, including under the band clamps. Since I had adjusted the old band clamps several times I decided to replace them all to try and get a good seal. I couldn't get the same ones locally that originally came with the exhaust, but I was able pick up some similar SS clamps.

The old one is on the left, new one on the right. The design varies a bit between the two, but function and fit is similar. One thing I like about the new ones is that they have a gasket material that compresses and helps seal the seam of the band clamp. I'll say it again, no more leaks!
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your van. Sooo clean! Great work. (I hope you keep the small bumpers.) Very Happy

Nice job on the exhaust. I've had the same problem with my RMW exhaust leaking and, after many rounds of trial and error, also ended up changing clamps to the same units that you have (Dynomax, right?). Unfortunately for me, it did not solve my leaks. But I do like the clamp design, which negates the need to have a wrench on both sides when tightening. [Side note: Dynomax support told me that the little sticky tab isn't intended as a sealer, but rather to hold the clamp in place before tightening it down. Dunno]

My exhaust slopped downward to the right like yours as well and required some "non-factory adjustment" to get level. Despite the instructions, I had enough clearance to rotate the muffler about 90º for a little more clearance / cleaner look. I hope I don't get in trouble.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you brought brown back! love the color, great job.

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
I'm glad you brought brown back! love the color, great job.

Eric

Thanks! I really like the color, especially now that it is freshened up. The Terrawagen stuff is great too!
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:
I love your van. Sooo clean! Great work. (I hope you keep the small bumpers.) Very Happy

The small bumpers are there to stay!

chimivee wrote:
Nice job on the exhaust. I've had the same problem with my RMW exhaust leaking and, after many rounds of trial and error, also ended up changing clamps to the same units that you have (Dynomax, right?). Unfortunately for me, it did not solve my leaks. But I do like the clamp design, which negates the need to have a wrench on both sides when tightening. [Side note: Dynomax support told me that the little sticky tab isn't intended as a sealer, but rather to hold the clamp in place before tightening it down. Dunno]

My exhaust slopped downward to the right like yours as well and required some "non-factory adjustment" to get level. Despite the instructions, I had enough clearance to rotate the muffler about 90º for a little more clearance / cleaner look. I hope I don't get in trouble.

I like the rotated muffler, if I had thought of that I probably would have given it a try. The clamps I have are a Walker product, but I think they make them under different names, so probably the same or similar. That makes sense about the "gasket" just being there to hold it in place, in retrospect it didn't really seem like the type of material that would stand up to the heat. After a few drives I do again have a very small leak where the J-pipe enters the cat, but much less than before, probably due to the "gasket" burning off! Still happy though.
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been a little bummed out about the van last fall, it took me all summer to put it back together, and aside from a couple of short day trips we didn't really get out of town with it.

Once I had it out on the road a few shakedown issues started to show up, but before I had time to solve them winter rolled in, and the van spent the next 6 months parked in the driveway, often dressed like a hightop.

One of the issues was the exhaust (solved that one). But the one that really bugged me (considering the whole thing started with leaky rollover valves), was that it started leaking gas again! This time it was at the sender, leaking through the studs on the new sender bracket.

I had bought the bracket from GoWesty, and after getting in touch with them they sent me a replacement. On the new one they had sealed the joint where the stud comes off the backing plate, and the difference was obvious when comparing the old and new brackets. I installed it a few weeks ago, and to be safe I used anaerobic gasket maker this time (probably a mistake to neglect that the first time). I have had a full tank of gas now for a few weeks and no leaks!

Time to start getting prepped for a camping trip!
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A priority for me before we overnight in the van was to have a headboard to prevent the kids (and their stuff) from falling out in the middle of the night. I decided to build it out of copper pipe. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Headboard:

Attachment points:

Installed:

The mount is solid, I had to drill 4 small holes in the bed board for the bolts that hold the attachment points in place. I wouldn't do chin-ups on it (that was the first thing my 7yo wanted to do), but I think it will serve the intended purpose well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: