Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Normal stereo head units fit in the Vanagon, not limited.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Normal stereo head units fit in the Vanagon, not limited. Reply with quote

So I wanted to fit the same Pioneer head unit in the Van that I installed in another vehicle since I already know how to operate it. Crutchfield and other websites said it would not fit, and there are a number of stereo threads here indicating only special shallow depth head units will fit.

I measured the space and went ahead and ordered what I wanted and was delighted to find I had plenty of room. I installed the Pioneer 6600BT, so if the unit you want is that same or even slightly larger it will fit.

All you have to do is bend the sheetmetal "V" at the rear of the dash hole that held the original radio. Takes 10 seconds with bare hands (mind the edges). Two steps: Bend it toward the dash opening, with the bend/pivot point as high up as you can manage it. Then bend the bottom half the opposite direction (away from the dash opening). Now its "short" enough it will clear the black plastic heater box when you bend the entire thing into the dash (away from the dash opening) and upward completely out of the way. But the bracket is still there if some day you want it all original.

Doing this, I was able to fully insert my full size Pioneer and click it home in the bracket tightly to the dash face. That includes the full size antenna coax sticking out the back - no need to buy a 90 degree one. Tons of room for the cooling fins, etc.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crutchfield's stereo fitment guide is way too conservative for many older vehicles. I end up bypassing it every time I'm researching HUs

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you saved the original rubber holder from the rear of the original radio, it will go on your new radio and slide into that V bracket, giving the rear the support it should have. You can get these parts from any good installer at a good stereo shop, usually in the good old big parts box under the bench!
imdbui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know! How do you like the 6600BT? I was looking at the same one
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution *old guy warning*:

I like the unit because it has easier to use controls and a more logical menu than other units I tested at various stereo shops. It was also easy to mount.

All the new units make me grumpy because the displays are full of reflections, small buttons, and annoying button sequences to do simple things like change the audio while driving. This one is like that, also but that's not new news to anyone who's shopped for a car stereo in the last 20 years...

I like it enough that this is the 2nd 6600 I have bought in the last 6 months. First one I put in the Audi. Like it and when the Vanagon needed a stereo I simply called Crutchfield for another.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
imdbui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect! thanks, I picked one up and installed it last night from BestBuy. I did end up with cuts on both hands trying to tuck the harness while pushing the receiver in, its a tight fit but it sits flush.

It does seem a bit flashy initially with the pulsing lights, but I changed the light color to green and dimmed it down so it matches the syncro panel LEDs.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time pull out the ash tray and move the wires around through your cut free dash access port. Idea
imdbui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Next time pull out the ash tray and move the wires around through your cut free dash port. Idea

whoa I didn't even consider that. My future size XL hands thank you!
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking seriously at this:

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 CD Receiver with Built-in Bluetooth and HD Radio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8S6B86/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_cUJgub0CF5BM9
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go look at one in a stereo shop first. You'd be amazed at the range of logical interfaces in stereos if you focus on it. From, "Wow, thats annoying to have to click the menu button, then grab the knob and rotate it while holding a tiny button down" to "Holy crap what were they thinking - each time it turns on with a car start the volume goes to 0, and the audio defaults to AM" The worst of user interface designers all are employed as car audio interface engineers.....

DougM
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Go look at one in a stereo shop first. You'd be amazed at the range of logical interfaces in stereos if you focus on it. From, "Wow, thats annoying to have to click the menu button, then grab the knob and rotate it while holding a tiny button down" to "Holy crap what were they thinking - each time it turns on with a car start the volume goes to 0, and the audio defaults to AM" The worst of user interface designers all are employed as car audio interface engineers.....

DougM

Oh, no kidding! They are mostly non-intuitive for anybody older than 14...

I have a JVC KD820BT CD Receiver in the van that has ALL the mod cons but is operable by an old guy - it has a rotary volume knob, too. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: