Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fan belt sizes
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: fan belt sizes Reply with quote

Hey people,

i was just wondering about fan belt sizes because I have two out in the garage, neither of which fit my engine (seemingly too small).

My question is, how many different size belts did aircooled vws use and what were the different applications for each size? anybody know?

thanks folks. I just want to buy the right one

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 mm was for generators and 912mm was for alternators. (if I remember correctly).

My engine with alternator uses a 905mm belt... don't ask me why, it just fits.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
905 mm was for generators and 912mm was for alternators. (if I remember correctly).

hmmm...thats odd. I'm going to try to measure one of the belts I have and see what size they are. I'll report back when I have the measurement. Thanks for the information Glenn!

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed Glenn, the belts I have that don't fit are 905 mm. Its hard to believe that 7 millimeters could make that much of a difference. I reckon it does or Volkswagen wouldn't have changed it. Thanks again, Glenn.

Scavenger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This belt size thing has been a subject of thought for me lately. The 9.5x905 for generators vs 11.3x912 for alternators. I have done a few gen. to alt. conversions and like Glenn found the 9.5x905 fit best with the 11.3x912 being too tight. To my knowledge there were no dimensional changes as far as pulley size or distance between axas. I can not seem to find any supporting evidence but have to believe that alternators used 10 adjusting shims as opposed to 8 for generators. (I would appreciate if someone could confirm this.) Seeing shim kits sold with 10 shims led me to this belief.

Another note on this subject is, I found that [email protected] recommends the 11.3x912 belt for doghouse fan OR alternator applications. He states that the wider belt slips less with the additional load and that it also spins the fan slightly faster for better cooling. I'm not sure if the additional fan speed is from the wider belt riding higher in the pulleys or the extra belt length or a combination of the two.

For some reason I prefer the v-belt design of the gen. belt over the grooved or is it called ribbed design of the alt. belt. I do however believe that John's recommendation deserves some consideration. At some point I plan to check on size availibility of the v-belt design.
Mooosman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Same here. Did a generator to alt conversion on a 1641 SP, and reused the original generator belt. It fit fine. This was with a stock crank pulley and replacement ('Bruck'-Made in Germany) alternator pulley.

Continental 9.5x905, IIRC.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: belts Reply with quote

905 x 9.5 and 905 x 10 both sold by Continental.

FYI: "Bruck-Made In Germany" is the name of a Chinese company, creative name Wink

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/hh-autoparts...Parts.html

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: belts Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
FYI: "Bruck-Made In Germany" is the name of a Chinese company, creative name Wink

In the 60's a town in Japan changed it's name to Usa

"Made in USA".

The Chinese are not that creative.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a slightly smaller belt being used in the 6 volt engines. I think it was a 900 x 9.5.

I remember when I worked at a VW parts shop back in the '90's, we used to stock that belt.

Maybe you have one of those belts.

Perhaps you have a belt for a power pulley. That would be too small for a stock set up.
Scavenger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Continental/Contitech is now made in India.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: belts Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
neil68 wrote:

In the 60's a town in Japan changed it's name to Usa

"Made in USA".

The Chinese are not that creative.

"Made in USA" LOL! Now that's clever!!
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefladge wrote:
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a slightly smaller belt being used in the 6 volt engines. I think it was a 900 x 9.5.

I remember when I worked at a VW parts shop back in the '90's, we used to stock that belt.

Maybe you have one of those belts.

Perhaps you have a belt for a power pulley. That would be too small for a stock set up.
I installed a cb santana pulley and the 905 belt seems to big . waiting for cb to get back to me. i still havent shimmed it alt with stock german top pulley . this size seems to be correct 900x9.5 that extra 5mm.. we ll see ill updat this soon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: