Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tig torch size selection etcetera.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Tig torch size selection etcetera. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm planning on taking up tig welding and need advice on what tig torches I will need. I want to do sheet through 1/4" steel and 1/4" aluminum. What size torches would be prudent to own.

Also ,could someone inform me of how the tig torch Numbering System works? Some of the numbers for a higher amp torch is lower than a low amp torch. Another question I have is will different sizes electrodes fit the same collet or do you need a specific collet for a specific diameter electrode?

Thanks for your expertise!
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 1/4" aluminium you need a torch good for 250 amps. Some choose air cooled others prefer liquid cooled. I prefer a liquid cooled torch as it is more compact, and mine has better hoses which translates into less tugging and fatigue. You choose collets by electrode diameter. One torch should do it all, but with different electrodes, collets collet body (to match collet size) and gas cups. Luckily those components are relatively cheap. I have a miller Synchrowave 250 with a Lincoln cooler and some brand of torch I've forgotten the name, but it takes standard parts I can get at the local supplier. I started with a cheap air cooled torch, but don't use it anymore. Crappy vinyl hoses that got stiff in the cold. Just remembered, it's a weldcraft torch good for mucho amps 330. Takes 13n parts, whatever that means.

Last edited by Northof49 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just choose a torch by specs and availability of supples.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! Very Happy
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your really serious about learning to tig , getv the biggest welder you can afford , I have been beating on my syncrowave 250 for 20 years or so , no problems , also the hw 20 water cooled torch is hard to beat , its small and can weld just about anything , fits into tight places .. the 20 size torch will take any size tungsten you will ever use , the collets are sized by what tungsten your using , u can weld almost anything for automotive and custom work with 3/32 nd tungsten , pure tugsten is for aluminum and thoriated for steel ..
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of today I have a Everlast ex250. I'm still getting my setup together but the packaging and exterior quality look impressively good. The plastic on the cabinet is really thick and strong . I'm modifying a cart to hold the argon tank right now. I bought their 26 torch because no one else makes one for it that is plug and play and now is not a good time to hack one together.

I assumed that the higher amp tig torches would have a overall larger body but the everlast torch I got just seems to have a longer handle. Is that for when it starts to glow my hand will be farther from it. Laughing I might get a water cooler for it but I'm I have to learn some tig and make sure my Chinese welder is not defective at the same time so I bought a all purpose torch for now.
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using these 2% lanthanated electrodes and they are good for both steel and aluminum. Non radioactive, and take more heat than pure tungsten. You can grind a dull point on them, use them with AC for aluminum, and they stay pointy. Good for fine work like sheet aluminum. Just tossing that out there as an alternative to pure tungsten and thoriated. Thoriated does work very well on steels though.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
I've been using these 2% lanthanated electrodes and they are good for both steel and aluminum. Non radioactive, and take more heat than pure tungsten. You can grind a dull point on them, use them with AC for aluminum, and they stay pointy. Good for fine work like sheet aluminum. Just tossing that out there as an alternative to pure tungsten and thoriated. Thoriated does work very well on steels though.

Yeah , I heard good stuff about those tungstens , need to pick som up ..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: