Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP! bought two Westfalia's PICTURES/VIDEO where to start
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried to turn the motor. both buses have the key in the ignition though which is cool. Is the gas tank missing? and I don't think the orange one had a fire it doesn't look like it. I cleaned out the inside yesterday and it looks beautiful. I'm taking the fabric to get dry cleaned. I am going out now to clean it up on the outside. On the white one with the engine, there is a box of parts in the engine bay, but im not sure what they are. I will keep you updated.
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also on the inside of the drivers side I looked at the plate and it says the orange is a 76 and whitey is a 78. whitey has the actual fridge that has the wattage board or whatever you call it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: VIDEO Reply with quote

hopefully his upload works

Link
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

thanks for all the info! will be getting the manuals shortly. looks like this site has some
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '76 looks to be pretty complete. Originally it would have had a 2 ltr. type 4 FI engine, like the '78. That '78 engine looks like it still has most of the major components that could possibly be swapped over onto a new long block; I doubt you will want to fuss with determining if the '78 engine is worth rebuilding. You're certainly gonna need the rear engine support bar off of it for a new engine. And the '78 shifter should (but maybe not) work with the '76. The new pop top tent replacement can wait. That's a good $3-400 right there.
Consider all new brake lines, condition of the brake booster, M/C, calipers, rotors and pads up front and shoes and drums in the rear. New tires are a must. CV boots/joints and trans mounts and all parts associated with the shifting inclusive of all bushings.
The '76 is a good candidate for fixing up!! Use the '78 for parts that will work with the '76. Get yourself a green Benltley and start reading.
Hope you have a fat wallet!!!! Start pricing a re-built type 4 long block and you'll get the idea of just that cost alone. That won't include any FI parts you will need.
Best of luck
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congradulations on the score! '76 is a cool year Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579301&highlight=bicentennial

Let me know if you want a pair of theses.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish my 70 had the bed and interior of yours Sad O well. I will take those extra hub caps off your hands if you want to sell them!
sonofamitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn. You got yourself a nice solid bus.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568454&highlight=
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys I appreciate it. I will post a video of the white one tomorrow. and I have plenty of the caps if you need some
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbarnestennis wrote:
thanks guys I appreciate it. I will post a video of the white one tomorrow. and I have plenty of the caps if you need some

Sweet well I have none! I'll PM you.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got some work ahead of you, but it's well worth it!
Nice bus!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I have tried to remove the engine and I removed all the bolts, but this thing won't budge. the two supports on the sides came loose, but the bell housing isn't separating from the engine. I don't know what to do.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for deciding to pull the engine instead of dumping a bunch of gas in it and trying to drive it. You have a long, but character building road ahead of you...OK, did you follow the procedure in the Bentley, Chapter 5, Sect. 3?

There is also the Ratwell tech article:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html

Once you do get the engine out, it will be time to adjust the valves so you can do compression check then a leak down test. Then you can completely renovate your shifter system, fuel tank and fuel delivery and your CV joints, and also the transmission. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

It has been awhile fellas. I haven't been making too much progress, but have been trying to do what I can with the time I have. I pulled the engine from the 78 and took it apart completely. Plenty of things are wrong with it and it was priced at $4,000 to completely rebuild. So I started to look into buying a rebuilt one for the 75 and have found some as low as $900.
I would like your guys opinions on what to buy and from where. I called the company gex and they said the engine I pulled from the 78 wouldn't have fit in the 75 anyway so which engine do I need to buy for the 75? It seems that when I did some research that the engines were changing a lot through the 70's and I want to buy the right kind that will fit into the 75. Also, will the parts from the 78 engine fit onto the engine I plan on buying considering most don't come with accessories. I plan on buying the engine as soon as possible to get this baby running as I am putting her in the garage this week to stay out of the cold. Thanks fellas
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE Reply with quote

Jbarnestennis wrote:
... I called the company gex ...

do a search on the opinion of GEX products

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murphree11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a '76 that I bought this summer. Not a camper but I bet its the same engine. I asked the same question after I got mine- "where to start" and a friend who has restored some older vehicles answered "from the ground up." Turned out to be sage advice.

I'm just a couple months ahead of you on the Samba and have found it to be a huge help. Search for your answers and start saving thread links in a folder for quick reference later.

I wouldn't rush into an engine rebuild and if you use a local mechanic make sure you ask if they have ever worked on a type 4/Porsche 914 engine before and when was the last time. I've already been burned. My engine died the day after I got it and my local "VW" mechanic told me I needed a rebuild. I went local because I was excited but I realize now I should have waited. My mechanic may have worked on them before but it was ages ago if it was true. Since then I have found resources through reference on the samba and buried in threads that I think would have been a better path.
If I had it to do over again I would have searched out a working turn key engine to have the satisfaction of getting her moving. Then found someone I was confident in to rebuild the original to my specs or have just taken the time to rebuild it myself. Either way I like the idea of having a backup runner.

Eventually you'll see the logic in owning these:

you won't need the super beetle ones of course.

and these:

You can find many of them used on eBay for less. I bought new from Amazon. Its just money and I'm a noob.

Believe in the advice to buy the best quality parts and do your research. Aftermarket is a big business and there are tons of online suppliers. At first I was stoked - "hey I can get anything I need!" I quickly found it takes a little more effort and even after the effort I've been left with a suspicious feeling.
Tom Powell wrote:
do a search on the opinion of _____
( <-- insert company here)

Last bit:
Read the signature lines of the of the people giving you their advice here and pay attention to what they post as answers to others. Some of the quotes will start to stand out to you.

busdaddy wrote:
The best mechanic for your bus is you, unless the guy you currently trust is willing to come do roadside fixes anywhere in the country in the blink of an eye. Dig in and learn how it works in the driveway, then when an issue arises on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere you'll have a clue where to start fixing :wink:

busdaddy wrote:
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

In my opinion there is nothing better than driving around waving to people and spending the extra 20min at the gas pump hearing someone's story about the Bus they used to have. When you have those experiences the diligence to take care of these pays off. Plus those times will help you through the downs and pitfalls along the way.

Watch "The Bus"
http://www.busmovie.com/
=D>
and

If you have mixed emotions about this movie then your heart is in the right place.
http://www.circlethewagen.com/
:-s
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE Reply with quote

^^^Good advise right there.

Jbarnestennis wrote:
I called the company gex and they said the engine I pulled from the 78 wouldn't have fit in the 75 anyway

That's pretty much an outright lie to get you to purchase something from them. Put GEX on your "DO NOT BUY FROM EVER" list right now.

Do you plan on this being a daily driver or just for the occasional camping and/or show? If you're only going to put a few thousand miles on it a year, my personal suggestion would be to find a used running 2.0 engine that doesn't look trashed ($900 sounds about right for a running T4). Do some basic checks on it before you install it, then put it in there and get on the road! Unless you have a bottomless budget, then get a longblock from Headflow Masters...

The last thing you want is to get overwhelmed and loose your momentum.

Oh, and remember to refer to it as a '76. The tag may say 11/75, but that is still in the 1976 production year. Smile

1966 Beetle
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4000 is too much. You should be able to rebuild it for 2 or 3,000, or buy a great long block for that. Read as many threads here as you can. What exactly is wrong with the various bits and pieces?
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know too much, but from what my friend explained and what I noticed was the cam lobes were completely worn. They have huge grooves and one cylinder head is cracked. Also, they said it will need new pistons and cylinder heads. I have ll the parts if you would want to see pictures of it all. they said the block is in fine shape and that it had been rebuilt once before.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: