Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Front End Mystery
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
capitolatim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: 1970 Front End Mystery Reply with quote

I bought this project last week, can you tell me about the front end from these photos? Big grinding noise at full lock, not much clearance from inside of wheel to knuckle.

Don't know what I've got...

More photos on the gallery

Cheers
Tim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the pics posted, looks like a you have a stock original front end with just drop spindles.
Just a guess but, the grinding noise could be your lower ball joint scrapes the inside barrel of your wheel..
Another guess could be the tie rods are not adjusted correctly. Does one wheel look like it could be turning sharper/farther to the left or right than the other side?
Might have to remove the wheel and look for scrape marks on the inside of the wheel, ball joint or torsion arm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
capitolatim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm wrote:
from the pics posted, looks like a you have a stock original front end with just drop spindles.
Just a guess but, the grinding noise could be your lower ball joint scrapes the inside barrel of your wheel..
Another guess could be the tie rods are not adjusted correctly. Does one wheel look like it could be turning sharper/farther to the left or right than the other side?
Might have to remove the wheel and look for scrape marks on the inside of the wheel, ball joint or torsion arm

Thanks, I;ll check for marks...so should I just leave it alone and not crank the steering?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capitolatim wrote:
so should I just leave it alone and not crank the steering?

You might be able to adjust the end stops for the pitman arm to avoid the point that causes the grind.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jules9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said you don't have a tire rub but I looked at your gallery and it kind of looks like you have a tire rub on the inside sidewall of the left front tire, across the lettering of the tire looks like a clean black mark.

capitolatim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: rub was on the inside Reply with quote

Got the Ghia in the air, at full lock the tire hits inside against the frame/body. Just bought a set of 914 Rivieras, may swap for lower profile tires, once I get it running. Thanks for the help
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should for sure do as Nicholas suggests . . .
sputnick60 wrote:
. . . adjust the end stops for the pitman arm to avoid the point that causes the grind.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: