Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to decide on what route to take for getting a VW
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Trying to decide on what route to take for getting a VW Reply with quote

I'll start by saying, a lot of this is thinking out loud. Also, this isn't my first VW, not that it matters on this subject.

I've had a real itch to start working on something again. Some life changes have really pushed that. I need to decide which way to go about doing this.

I live in Central California. Lompoc, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara. A decent project would cost me around $2000. I'm not opposed to buying one here, and have been looking. I just haven't found the right one.

I own a 74 Beetle. It is currently in Wyoming. The car holds sentimental value. It also needs a lot of work. I will work on it eventually, but I haven't decided if right now is the time. All inclusive, it would cost me right around $1000 round trip to go get it. 4 days of my time, which is free to me. I could have it shipped, but I've done that before, and it was very stressful, but required no real work.

So, I'm not sure which route to go. What do you guys think? I'm sure everyone will say pick the one I already own, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the one you already own is the way to go- but if it 1k to move the project to where you are then I'd reconsider.
I'd go for the local project and leave the sentimental one out of it until you know you have all the cash its going to take to make it right by you. How rusty do things get in Wyoming?
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of the direction I'm heading right now. If I had to make a quick guess, I'd be at $3000 before the one I own would be able to drive. That's a pretty conservative estimate too.

Rust isn't an issue where it's at now. And storage isn't costing me anything.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of project do you want to get into?
Ever think about sand rails? You're right next to a cool OHV beach.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have a rail. I'm open to anything aircooled right now. I just got done looking at a rail frame on craigslist, but its cut for a corvair. Not willing to stoop that low yet.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for a rail, don't get one with a corvair or porsche engine. Too much effort for something that can be accomplished other ways.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any on the streets here. Are the laws a pain when it comes to making one street legal?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In CA, I believe its rough. CHP will do what they can to keep cars off the road.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Watch CL Reply with quote

Check CL daily ...

Plenty of good local buys you can kick the tires on ... Idea

Jim
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to decide on what route to take for getting a VW Reply with quote

vwtrey wrote:
I'll start by saying, a lot of this is thinking out loud. Also, this isn't my first VW, not that it matters on this subject.

I've had a real itch to start working on something again. Some life changes have really pushed that. I need to decide which way to go about doing this.

I live in Central California. Lompoc, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara. A decent project would cost me around $2000. I'm not opposed to buying one here, and have been looking. I just haven't found the right one.

I own a 74 Beetle. It is currently in Wyoming. The car holds sentimental value. It also needs a lot of work. I will work on it eventually, but I haven't decided if right now is the time. All inclusive, it would cost me right around $1000 round trip to go get it. 4 days of my time, which is free to me. I could have it shipped, but I've done that before, and it was very stressful, but required no real work.

So, I'm not sure which route to go. What do you guys think? I'm sure everyone will say pick the one I already own, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I say ! Follow these two things.

One: The Samba classifieds, It is the Best!

Second: Right in your own backyard is The Central Coast VW Club, a great resource. Members always pointing out local stuff for sale and things hapnin VW. If you need help figurin what you want to do with what VW? They are on Facebook and have a club site.

Saturday the 27th come over to the Mission in Solvang. BIG VW car show! Golden gate Chapter Of Vintage VW's show, "Solvang Veteranentreffen 13 Weekend Solvang, California" Come over and say Hi to me! I will be showing something in the Special interest class.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the '74 shipped to you if it has sentimental value & you are planning on restoring it 'someday'. You don't need 2 Big Bug projects hanging over your head to think about/spend money & time on! I'm guessing $500 will get it delivered to you in good shape on www.uShip.com Just be sure to book with the actual shipper & Not a Shipping Broker.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: