Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre A maplight
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bignut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Pre A maplight Reply with quote

this came with the car and i finally figure out what it's called. Embarassed

i only sees the maplight in convertibles, anyone knows if this is an optional equipment for a 53 coupe as well?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tom coughlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: options Reply with quote

Porsche was always very flexible about options and were willing to put anything in that the customer wanted, and especially standard options. Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alamento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: pre a maplight Reply with quote

bignut wrote:
this came with the car and i finally figure out what it's called. Embarassed

i only sees the maplight in convertibles, anyone knows if this is an optional equipment for a 53 coupe as well?

Your dash could be a donor from a cabriolet. Check to see if someone filled a hole for the windshield tension rod. It's top and center by the bend in the glass. That's what I found in my '52 coupe.

If you don't have it listed on your COA or Kardex (chances are it wouldn't be listed either way) you're safest to assume your car left the factory without the map light.

It's your car. You have an original map light and a hole for it in the dash. If you like the light, roll with the light. Smile
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen

As from what chassis number was the maplight introduced as a standard equipment on reutter pre A convertibles?

I have read somewhere that they were introduced with the bentwindow cars as from chassis 10270, but have seen later convertibles that look unrestored and original without it.

Any info?

Many thanks!
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruvwen wrote:
Gentlemen

As from what chassis number was the maplight introduced as a standard equipment on reutter pre A convertibles?

I have read somewhere that they were introduced with the bentwindow cars as from chassis 10270, but have seen later convertibles that look unrestored and original without it.

Any info?

Many thanks!

Does anyone know? Many thanks!
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ruvwen,

According to the 1955 Porsche parts book on pages 314 and 315 it lists:

356.61.061 Interior light for convertibles 5015-10270
356.61.600 Map light for convertibles 10271 on

Generally these numbers Porsche gives in the parts books are reliable. This changeover would correspond to cars completed sometime in June or July 1952. Recall though that while cars were generally completed in order of chassis number, there were some exceptions.

If your car came after 10270, its likely it had a map light. If it didn't then it must have had an interior light mounted somewhere. Perhaps there are clues on the chassis where that could have been mounted, or clues on the dash that it has been deleted.

Anyone know what the interior light listed above looks like? I've never seen one.

Kind regards,
James
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Davies wrote:
Hi Ruvwen,

According to the 1955 Porsche parts book on pages 314 and 315 it lists:

356.61.061 Interior light for convertibles 5015-10270
356.61.600 Map light for convertibles 10271 on

Generally these numbers Porsche gives in the parts books are reliable. This changeover would correspond to cars completed sometime in June or July 1952. Recall though that while cars were generally completed in order of chassis number, there were some exceptions.

If your car came after 10270, its likely it had a map light. If it didn't then it must have had an interior light mounted somewhere. Perhaps there are clues on the chassis where that could have been mounted, or clues on the dash that it has been deleted.

Anyone know what the interior light listed above looks like? I've never seen one.

Kind regards,
James

Many thanks James.

I am asking because my car was produced in June 1952 and it is one of the very first cars with a one-piece windscreen (one of the first 30 cars).

My car currently has no map light and when restoring the car I am actually doubting on whether I should install one. Per chassis number it should have one, but being one the first one-piece windscreen cars maybe they just used a dashboard from the split window era
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Ruvwen. That's very possible that your car didn't have one then, especially if it looks like the dashboard hasn't been modified. You could easily tell if it had been I think, especially if you eventually remove the paint from the dashboard. You can tell if it is the original dashboard for your car by looking at the last 2 digits of the chassis number which will be stamped on the inside bottom center of the dashboard, just below the radio on the inside.

Further, if it has its original paint, and if '52 is like '53, then it will have original paint on the back, and may also be marked with yellow grease pencil the last 2 digits of chassis number. If yours was a light-colored car, they often painted the front of the dash a 2nd coat of paint that was darker and complemented the interior color. So a mode grey car would have got a dark blue dash, or an ivory car a maroon dash. But the backs should be body color with some overspray from the front. The primer on the early cars was an iron oxide primer - the color of rust.

Perhaps this can help in your archeology. =]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: