Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weight of Stripped Down 21 Window Bus/ Caster Rating?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Weight of Stripped Down 21 Window Bus/ Caster Rating? Reply with quote

I searched around existing threads and couldn't seem to find the answer I was looking for; so hopefully this is not a redundant thread.

Would someone happen to know an approximate weight of a totally stripped down 21 window bus?

Totally stripped, no beam, no motor, no transmission, no windows, no mechanism, no seats, etc. The front doors and cargo doors would be on, but basically nothing else.

I'm getting ready to build either a dolly system or rotisserie to work on my bus and want to buy casters that will support the weight. I will use four total, two in the front and two in the back.

I was looking at these that will support up to 550lbs each.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Heavy-Duty-Swivel-Caster-w-Brake/G8176

Or these that will support 600lbs each.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Heavy-Duty-Swivel-Caster-w-Brake/G8177

I'm trying to keep the wheel size smaller because of height issues in my garage, but could probably even go bigger to a 6 inch wheel that is rated for a higher weight.

Any suggestions for the weight or caster to use?
Thanks for the responses.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unladen weight for a complete Deluxe is approx. 2500 Lbs. If you were to use casters with a capacity of ~500 lbs/each you should be good.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
58deluxerag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a singlecab sitting on 10" pneumatic wheels rated at 350# at each corner and it's struggling. Cool

'58 Binz
'58 Beetle Ragtop
'65 Sundial
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll use 4 casters to support bus from rear spring plate & front beam attaching points, you'll probably have the engine, tranny removed + beam & all brakes. Guessing 2,500 minus 250 for beam... 400 for engine / tranny... 50 for rear brakes. That'd bring you to 1,800. 500 per caster should be good. If you're going to tip the unit, maybe consider getting a little higher rating. They probably have a factor of safety built in.... but I wouldn't push it too much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: