Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 autostick ghia help - Chicago Area
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAD ASP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: 74 autostick ghia help - Chicago Area Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new to the world of karman ghia. I need someone in the Chicago area who is familiar with these as I am having some problems with the way the engine is running. It starts fine but has a problem holding an idle. I drove the car but it has the automatic and I have to keep my foot on the gas and brake while idling. I am sure it needs a basic tune up but would like to have someone who knows these cars take a look. It is a present for my wife for our 39th wedding anniversary as it is the car she owned when we first met and I wanted her to have it again. Any help or phone numbers would be greatly appreciated....

Mike
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few suggestions in these topics should help:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567182
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527882
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414184
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BAD ASP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up.... I will keep looking and check out this site often..

mike
Kmolenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My educated guess says you have a vacuum leak. Most likely in the servo mechanism for the auto stick . I don't have one, but looked at a few that had their issues with the same problem. Have someone hold a steady idle as you spray (3m brake cleaner) on and around any vacuum lines, carb, intake boots, servo mechanism. When the rpm increases where you spray you have found your leak. If that doesn't reveal it , pull lines off (one at a time) plug them, when you get a nice idle after you have pulled and plugged a line, you found the component that leaks
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find another mechanic closer, I can highly recommend DuPage Auto Werks out in West Chicago (a suburb located about 30 miles west of the city, just off North Avenue/Route 64).
The owner, Dwayne, had been the Service Manager at the former VW dealership on Geneva Road in Wheaton.
When the dealership closed down, he opened his own repair shop specializing in German cars.

Dwayne's son Kevin (who is one of the mechanics at the shop) has a beautiful custom Karmann Ghia that he keeps stored at the shop, so be sure to ask if you can see it if you end up going out there.

If you're not already a member, you may also want to check out the Northeastern Illinois Volkswagen Association - it's a pretty active club, and if their web site does not have links to local mechanics then I'm certain that contacting them would get you the name of a good shop or two.
BAD ASP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kf and kmo your info is much appreciated. I have done the vacuum leak test and it hasn't affected the bad idle. I am beginning to suspect a carb/choke issue but will continue. My goal is to have the car running by spring so my wife can enjoy it and we can take it on some sunday cruises.

mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: