Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 32PHN vacuum cylinder came loose
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Solex 32PHN vacuum cylinder came loose Reply with quote

Hello,

The little yellow cylinder on my solex, for connecting the vacuum hose to the distributor came loose!

How can i fix this? Will it be enough to just push it back in and give it a little twist so it is stuck solid again or ...?

Thanks!

Got these images from http://vwplusvw1500.blogspot.be ; It's the tube next to the spring at the top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another question i have, i see a little bit of fluid, don't know if it's grease or gasoline, laying under the choke valve (on the right from the carb) on the engine plate, should i be worried about that or no problem?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be OK if you just push the tube back in. If you're worried about it coming loose again you could use a little Locktite or something similar (sparingly!) to secure it in place.

It's probably gasoline residue that you've found under the carb. Try feeling under the carb to see if there's a similar fluid there. Be sure to rule out a fuel leak. As long as there's no evidence of an active leak under the carb you're probably OK, but check carefully, and if you find a leak do whatever is necessary to address it.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding Smile

I have still another question, something that i have read in the bentley manuals but cannot seem to find back anymore.

So here it goes: A single carb as a complete cylindric oil pressure valve whilst a dual carb has a valve with a cut-out. Somewhere i have read that for older models for example a '66, if when one would replace this valve, to use the cut-out as default because of the slight cooling benefit. Is this correct?

Actually, here is the proof (?)(last page, second last answer)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304727&start=20

Does this mean i can use a grooved one in my completely stock '66 1500 with single carb?
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: