Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box play 63 bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cozza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Steering box play 63 bus Reply with quote

Hi all,
ive had a look on the search and can't find a clear answer to what I'm asking,
I have the steering box out of my bus and want to know how to see if its alright to put back in. In centre position theres a little bit of play when moving the pitman arm. Is this ok? adjuster screw is pretty close to all the way in.
If it is stuffed does anyone know who rebuilds them?

Thanks
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/steering-boxes-211415049fwg/
cozza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! ill look into that if its too bad!
Silvano Angelone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little bit of play in my steering box at the pitman arm also and this translates into more than the 1 inch of the recommended play in the steering wheel. I've already replaced my tie rods and center pin (my king pins look fine). Have you replaced your center pin? and if not check it for movement (usually when worn it moves up and down). Here's a link for center pin http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211498171

Replacement of my steering box is slotted for this winter. When i remove it from the bus, i might try taking it apart to see if i can replace a worn part. There use to be a rebuild kit available on the net but i can no longer find it. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401488&start=0
cozza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent replaced my centre pin but had it checked by a few people here in aus and they said its completely fine Smile the hole front beam is out as were lowering it at the moment, but all new tie rods etc will be going in so hopefully the play isn't too much and will do the job for a bit. i saw that they're used to be a kit but seems like its not around any more and to get it rebuilt is more than buying a new one?

let me know how yours goes when you replace some of the parts! thanks for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: