Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 carpet
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: 1961 carpet Reply with quote

Folks, I found a website that claims to have a good carpet kit for my 61 standard bug. I ordered a sample that I received pretty quickly by mail with several swatches of colors. I must admit that it seems to be quite sturdy and durable. The carpet I removed from my bug had and extremely flimsy backing very similar to the carpet kits from WW. This sample from Stock Interiors.com was strong and sturdy. Has anyone dealt with them before? The only thing that concerns me is that they claim that the kit will fit 1949-1973. Granted I have to cut out the heater holes, shifter hole and emergency handle holes, but the rest seems to be very similar to what came out of my car currently. They offer the entire carpet kit from kick panels all the way to the rear luggage compartment in a variety of colors & materials. The carpet has the matching edge binding and will sell me extra binding to have sewn around the holes I may have to cut. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I am currently collecting all the interior parts so I can redo the whole interior at once. Here is their link:
http://www.stockinteriors.com/CSCarpet.asp?Itemid=8804&MakeId=29&ModelId=416

thanks
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Carpet Reply with quote

There is a difference in the years for the carpet according to Wolfsburg West below. Cost is probably what you are looking at, but try an another supplier that will fit your year specifically or close to it. The cost in sewing in binding where you cut holes and the looks may be the deciding point.

Sedan Carpet Sets
Thru Sep'52
Oct'52-1955
1956 only
1957-1959
1959-1960
1961 only
1962-1964
1965-1967
1968 only
1969 only
1970-1971 std.
Beetle 1972 only std.
Beetle 1973-1979 std.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHMMMMM !

I remember something about " you get what you pay for "

You will be looking at that carpet everytime you get into your bug.

.save up for two more weeks and buy the size that fits .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73? Is that a logical cutoff year for anything beetle (other than pea shooters)?

49? Why not '48? If they're not including a logical cutoff year either direction- they aren't doing they're homework. Plan on disappointment.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definitely right about that grandpa! I've been looking at the Sew fine site and they too have some nice carpet. May go that route instead. The other thing is that my 61 originally with a grey salt n pepper color carpet, it's just seems so bland for my Gulf Blue bug. I think i would really like a navy blue color carpet to offset the off white headliner. The matching 2 tone blue n white door panels would look great. I just don't want someone to say that it isn't original when it comes time to sell it yrs from now...
any thoughts?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have thoughts! Cool It's already not original. But, you can retain stockness with the right interior package. Since your car came with the blander carpet (my 3 too), I see no harm in straying with the carpet color as long as you stay with squareweave and in a color available (even perhaps) in another VW of that year.

Putting it this way. If on a Friday night, you rolled into your local VW dealership and said, "I will pay you for this car tonight, but it has to have tan carpet." They would do it for you. Swapping in equipment from another car was more easily done then than now. I have a '62 gulf blue vert, and I've gone back and forth about putting a better-looking blue vinyl kit along with more of an oatmeal carpet to make the interior pop. I, just like you, will still be correct. Don't tell anybody- but two-tone seats in blue I think would look fantastic.

Similarly, I am currently sorting out an improper 90s era "restoration" on a '62 anthracite ragtop. It has the proper grey/off white kit in it- just as indicated in all the books, but why were there so many that came stock with red? At least I know I can still be correct- despite the charts here and at WW with regard to using a red interior if I so choose. Not all of these cars came grey/off white.

At the end of the day- it's your car. If anyone says 15 years from now (on your car's 65th birthday maybe) that it's not correct, just say, "Thank you, you could do me a huge favor by bringing your car by so I cold use it as reference material." Or, just ask them, "I appreciate learning that, How long did you work at the factory?"

I'm looking forward to your build thread! I love gulf blue VWs- and can't wait for my vert to have pole position in the workshop.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as promised, here are some pictures of my interior build..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The dash and all paintable surfaces will be sanded, primed, painted and clear coated. After that, assembly and the new headliner will go in. I will pick it up and begin the carpet install....can't hardly wait!! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: