Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Shop-car build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short action video from Bonneville. . .

http://youtu.be/tPFrJx8GY6w

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear view was cool as the horizon changed! You weren't lying about the car looking stable. Nice job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice drive. I am with vwfye, the rear shot is cool.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Nate, up here we are almost at 5K altitude, there are long , LONG expanses of desolate Highway 50 with no NHP to speak of... to get that baby dialed in for next year. lol you would definitely have a place to slum it if you came down here. Wink love your thread. it has inspired me just to get my car roadworthy again and then worry about the small stuff, thanks Nate!

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engine has a good sound. Cool

Sounds like you are taking it for a Sunday drive by the gear changes lol.

71 Aussie notchback, the money pit
92 VP vacationer, old faithful never die
95 VR executive, Restored beyond factory
92 VP S Pack, bought it new old
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, were you required to run a push/pull battery cut off on the car? Or did it have to include the alternator? IF so, which one did you use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Nate, were you required to run a push/pull battery cut off on the car? Or did it have to include the alternator? IF so, which one did you use?

None required for the 130/150 club cars. If you build a car for an absolute land speed record for a certain class (built to the SCTA rule book), then you must have a battery cut-off. I haven't really looked into that since that will never be me (in this car anyway). I do have a cut-off switch that will eventually be placed into the fuel filler position when the battery is moved up front since that is required to race on most tracks.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this photo of the humble '67 Square that I purchased back in 2003 that would become the Squarsche. . .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So innocent. . . Like a nun who never left the convent since birth. . .

Now. . .

I can *just* see the chrome pole in the background and the dollar bills tucked into the fender vents. . . Laughing

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
I can *just* see the chrome pole in the background and the dollar bills tucked into the fender vents. . . Laughing

LOL! Laughing

Oh, she's hot, though... Twenties and fifties tucked in there, not ones and fives!

What’s That Noise?!?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it ready for the Maryhill Loops Hill Climb Oct 4-5 & we'll come watch you! Cool
http://sovrenracing.org/maryhill-hill-climb/
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Get it ready for the Maryhill Loops Hill Climb Oct 4-5 & we'll come watch you! Cool
http://sovrenracing.org/maryhill-hill-climb/

Sorry, but it won't happen this time. I wouldn't want to embarrass myself with the 2056cc installed. Besides, I'm not a member of Soveren and don't even know if my car conforms to their requirements (roll cage, etc). I'm also still in the process of tuning the suspension so it acts the way I want it to under cornering forces.

Maybe next year. . .

Nate M.

Squarsche build

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey do not let rules get in the way. Just show up & play nice. Rolling Eyes
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since our trip to Bonneville, I’ve been driving the Squarsche daily so I can sort out any issues that it has and to refine the front suspension.

The first thing I did was to remove the spacers for the fwd trans mount. Thankfulluy I never had a problem when it counted at Bonneville, but as soon as I got home, I had a hell of a time getting 5th and Reverse. Once I removed them and re-adjusted the shift linkage, smooth as butta. . . 1-5 & Rev.

When driving on the street, I was getting a lot of bump-steer input from the suspension. While it was fairly manageable it could cause some twitchiness in high-speed turns and when I would give quick steering inputs (like darting out to pass someone). The suspension geometry had been altered quite a bit in the grafting in of the Porsche 911 suspension/steering so a slow graduated approach was needed to bring back the responsive steering of a Porsche. I began by playing with ride height since a Porsche’s suspension is dramatically altered by height adjustments. On a Porsche, as you lower the car, it toes-in; as you raise the car it toes out so you have to find that sweet-spot. After a few days of playing, I was able to find the perfect height that balanced toe-in, neutrality and toe-out. There were also differences in how the car handled between a full tank and an empty tank which told me that the stock torsion bars were just too soft in the Squarsche. So I installed a set of Sway-A-Way torsions that I picked-up at the Porsche swap meet a couple years ago. I got them so cheap they were almost free (like $50). Holy crap!! The car is completely different animal now. Very predictable handling and it’s a 2-finger driver at 100mph!! Yeah, it’s loosing it’s soft ride, but I don’t care; it handles like a 911!!

Since the summer weather is pretty much over now, I installed the heater hoses that connect the H/Es and the body. Seat heaters help, but I need a little defrost in the morning when it’s in the low 50s to keep the fog off.

I also finally got the rear brake splash-guards powder coated so I installed those since the rains are finally upon us here in the PNW.

The stereo head unit stopped getting the noise to the speakers, so I’ll have to investigate that, but all I all, progress is being made on the refinements to the Squarsche. I am in work on door panels and arm rests and another accessory for it. No, they’re NOT stock and YES, they are Porsche inspired.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate sounds cool, makes me a bit jealous you are out driving your car. post up some after pictures of new improved driving height. Will you need to raise it if you head back out to the salt?
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nate, Just finished all 30 pages, It was cool to see the car in person and chat with you about it at the Freeland car's and coffee. What's next?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
Nate sounds cool, makes me a bit jealous you are out driving your car. post up some after pictures of new improved driving height. Will you need to raise it if you head back out to the salt?

It doesn't look much different than it did before.

It only takes small adjustments to the front suspension to make noticeable changes at the steering wheel. Luckily It's a perfect height for street use. The real difference came with the beefier torsion bars. Complete night and day difference with them installed. They are just firm enough that the ride height doesn't change noticeably with full or empty tank so the only thing that changes the handling now is the weight of the fuel over the front wheels and there's nothing anyone can really do about that except to keep a full tank when doing spirited road driving. Wink

sixfootdan wrote:
Hey Nate, Just finished all 30 pages, It was cool to see the car in person and chat with you about it at the Freeland car's and coffee. What's next?

Hey Dan, it was great to see you and the rest of the guys (and occasional gal) at the monthly GTG. It had been WAY too long since I had made one of those. I hope to make it to more semi-regularly now that my weekends are free again.

What's next?? Well I have a full array of upgrades that are planned for it as well as more suspension tuning. I still need to permanently install my front sway bar (I've only mocked it up so far). I like to keep some of the more ambitious upgrades close until they are done, but I might be willing to talk about some of them off-line at the next GTG. Wink

BTW, are you planning to go to the Octobugfest show in Monroe this Saturday?? A bunch of us are driving down together if you would like to join us. PM me for details. . .

Nate M.

Squarsche build

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that sits nice. i worked on a super beetle rally car a loooong time ago. We put the fuel tanks under the seats. 3 tanks, plumbing nightmare.
Car ran flat & sorta fast, he liked the ditches. Road course in the winter, car ran a 2 litre, widened fenders & some fat street tires with studs.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could pull the air dam for the street and it would look more squareish...
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
You could pull the air dam for the street and it would look more squareish...

I would like to get another front bumper so I can do that, but you have to buy *pairs* of the fiberglass bumpers. I don't run the car low enough to have the air dam get in the way, so it's just not a priority for me.

Besides, it provides cover for the Porsche suspension front mounts. . . Twisted Evil

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the air dam on Dimebag Darrell. It is a Salt Flats car! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbYJcKTcu5Y&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 43

Jump to: