Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Peak of Loveland Pass - 1971 - Helping a VW Van Out
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: The Peak of Loveland Pass - 1971 - Helping a VW Van Out Reply with quote

Hi All,
In 1971, after graduating from HS my best friend (Charlie) and I travelled in his 64 van from Ohio to California to visit his aunt in Oakland. We had made or own camper conversion and painted his van a gold color, originally an Opel GT (remember those? the cheap man's corvette) color. To cover a dent from a Chev delivery van we placed a sheet metal cover, put an aluminum frame around it and a script (made by my mother, may she rest in peace) name "The Magic Bus" (I know, how original) on the driver's side rear area.
We went to any touristy place (Walls etc.) that was anywhere near our route out to/back from CA and in doing so we went over Loveland pass (highest paved road in USA?). After travelling in first gear (and attempts at 2nd gear) for what seemed a VERY long time we came to the peak of the pass.
What was there? Another VW van going the opposite direction parked on the peak. The passengers were outside the van and we stopped to see what was up. They told us they had burned their points up and were stuck there. Charlie reached in the under dash shelf and pulled out our spare set and handed it to the guys. Hung around to make sure they got underway again and left feeling good that we helped out another VW. The downhill trip was far more interesting!
Is there any chance those guys (or friends) are still VW fans and they visit Samba? Or that anybody saw our van and took a picture? I'm on my nineth bug (a 67 sunroof) and still miss those days. Charlie (may he also RIP) selling his 21 window van in Columbus OH in the late 70's WITHOUT telling me is another story. Crying or Very sad
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: