Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What makes a Porsche Speedster Replica worth so much more?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: What makes a Porsche Speedster Replica worth so much more? Reply with quote

What makes a Porsche Speedster Replica worth so much more than a dune buggy? Confused
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered the same thing, there seems to be a little more work involved with the bodies from some I have seen but not THAT much more.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a Porsche Speedster Replica worth so much mor Reply with quote

Rathbone wrote:
What makes a Porsche Speedster Replica worth so much more than a dune buggy? Confused

The name.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kits cost more for one.
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
63ratster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice original Speedsters range in price between $60,000-$200,000. This puts them far out of reach for the "average" consumer. So being able to purchase a replica at less than half the cost(or more), makes them seem like a bargain. Champagne tastes on a beer budget, so to speak...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63ratster wrote:
Nice original Speedsters range in price between $60,000-$200,000.

Trust me, you won't find a rust bucket for under $100k.

This one sold for $150,000.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe you can get this for $60k.

This one sold for $1,050,000

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last example is also a 4-cam Carerra engined car with Rudge knockoff wheels...

bnc
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In January this year, I made a run from Charleston WV to Charleston SC to pick up a Intermeccanica built Speedster. Pearl White and loaded with options. It had fully auto transaxle, (type three), 2180 cc engine, AC, Heat, Power Windows, Power steering, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Tilt wheel, heated seats, 4 wheel power assist disc brakes. Super sweet car.

These are monocoque in design, no pan based build. After the body is taken from the mold, they are put into a oven and baked to ensure full shrinkage. Then the body is worked until perfect, painted and hand rubbed. All hand sewed leather interior. Quick little ride too!

I have built one or two buggy's and seen a few more. No buggy I have seen even compares.

Would I own one? No. But I really appreciate the craftsmanship and quality that went into it. Worth the price? Yes. People buy enough of them to keep a company in business.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is because they were not sold into the market aiming at the bottom like the Manx was. The entire idea on the Manx was to allow a kit to be purchased cheaply and slapped together quickly to get out and enjoy it.

The greatest selling point is the greatest problem from a building, reselling and marketing point of view. A lot of shops I know always have issues with Manx owners and their ideals that there stuff should always be cheap. Most charge the same hourly rate regardless of what they are working on.

Most of the are VW pan based and from what I have seen the cost many charge is not that different to Manx's anyway.

http://www.jps-motorsports.com/turnkey.html

Has a list of prices, I think they are very reasonable.
martinprice2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this variation in price seems specific to the USA.

Here in the UK there are at least two companies making the bodies and a completed second hand Porsche replica starts from around £15,000. Originals you vary rarely come across but are maybe £45K +. they are not too popular compared to Cobra replicas and Caterham 7 type cars. The coupe (hardtop) kit is also quite rare.

The RSK replica is even cheaper (around £10K) but is a more basic car. I built one of these on a shortened VW pan.

A good Manx buggy with nice chrome and a big engine can easily reach the £15K figure.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rath, I suspect one part is simple; the people who associate/identify/aspire to PORSCHE ..are of (at least their self image) a different strata than buggy people. ...like Nashville and Connecticut, both have very successful people ..some different ideas.

I still don't understand the logic of buying a Zercon. Work a little harder if a Diamond really means that much to you.

Jim
Manx #2614
MANXXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having built both in a production situation, I can attest to the amount of work and materials used is greater in the 356 vs. the manx. There is a more involved steel frame bonded into the 356 and you have to assemble doors and decklids with inner and outer shells. You have to gap and fit the doors and decklids as well. I belive there is about 100 lbs more material in the 356 vs. the manx as well.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you have to assemble doors and decklids with inner and outer shells. You have to gap and fit the doors and decklids as well.

Agreed. I have built both. There is nothing harder than doors/hoods/trunks. To get them right takes lots of patience.
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same special Speedster/Porsche pricing holds true for even the simplest of fiberglass repro parts. Fiberglass has no special value beyond the part that is going on the car. No real need for a piece of fiberglass destined for s Porsche to be any more expensive than a similar weight and shape piece of fiberglass destined for a Ford. but the difference exists.

Simple chicanery. The costs are the same for a fiberglass dune buggy bucket seat as a Speedster replica hood. The purchase price is FAR different.

Weirder still when the SAME fiberglass bucket seat shell sells for more when sold as something for s Speedster replica rather than something destined for a dune buggy.
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complexity of the Speedster cars, multiple fiberglass parts and lots of hardware with special alignment of doors and lids, well it never lent itself to an extremely low cost and easily reproduced tub and so far has never been over-produced like the buggy has been over the years.

Right now, the low end for a completed Speedster replicar is around $15-20k and the high end is $50 to as much as 100k. (I wish I was joking) There is a fairly affluent group of individuals that pay these prices for completed cars, but will then ask of forums where can they purchase windshield visors, or act surprised if the car leaks a little in a strong rain?? The owners today are typically not fabricators, or buggy people in my mind.

And the export market is substantial, so its not just the domestic US or North America thing.

Today, most cars are specified and custom built turn key cars, possibly turn key less engine but not many are home built anymore.

If you were to kit build a Speedster, it might start out a lot like building a buggy (at least in the pan based versions) and then you keep cutting, drilling, assembling, adjusting and spending more time and money than you ever imagined with a buggy before you'd be done. But it would be worth it.

They make for a great drivers, much more comfortable than a buggy and that has broader appeal than a buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

These are monocoque in design, no pan based build. After the body is taken from the mold, they are put into a oven and baked to ensure full shrinkage. Then the body is worked until perfect, painted and hand rubbed. All hand sewed leather interior.

Sounds great - maybe even worth the price bump. I don't even think the real ones are that nice. But this is not what I typically see. For the majority of them, it's tough to explain how they are more than dune buggies with doors.
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in 1978 my dad almost bought a real one for 10,000 ...crazy...
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't it be like anything ? it's worth what you can get for it based on supply and demand.

more people want speedsters then dune buggys.

Last edited by Crankey on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porsche name certainly does alot, but even the poorest old speedster molds are far more complex than most Buggy molds. The main body mold frequentlyconsists of several pieces and some require bonding to a subframe. Inner and outer hood and engine cover, inner and outer doors, firewall. then you have to consider the hardware to complete the kits. the windshield and frame aren't anywhere near what you get calling dino for a fairly standard buggy windscreen. Most of the trim for a replica comes from the same suppliers as for a real Speedster.

I compare a speedster to the cost and complexity of a typical 32-34 ford body. In essence, you are building a replica of a very desireable classic car, vs, well, a play toy.

Here's a realtively new one with ties to Thunder ranch.

http://www.rockwestracing.com/tag/rw-speedster-body/
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: