Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another type 3 truck
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful sight.
1964 type 3 truck soon to be body off resto
1973 international 1110
1970 international 1210 4x4
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the engine pulled! It's always nice to see progress. Now to disconnect the brakes and cut the remaining body/front beam bolt. The lower one on the drivers side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

right next to the jack stand, is PITA cuz the beam has been smooshed up into it and now I can't get a socket or wrench on it. Guess the only option is to cut it, right?

Also, front beam is majorly dented. Are new ones available or do I have to salvage one?

Thanks guys,
Max
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback - Dennis
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1495551

I forgot everything anyone could ever need is already here somewhere.
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im watching Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's slow progress, but it's progress all the same...

Here's a pic of my "engine stand"...

in action...

Still haven't cut the front bolts off yet. Man, it'll be nice to have the body off.
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see it coming along. Keep it up. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bucket dolly makes my think of a lazy boy toilet.....Laughing know what i mean? Engine can rest and its okay if it takes a leak now and then, right into the bucket!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the pan dropped!

At least what's left of it. I had to cut the seats out as the door side guide was rust welded in place.

Working on getting the body completely stripped. I've been removing the wiring with blatent disregard as I'm planning on a new wiring harness. Is this unwise? Also, what is this cable?

This lil truck sure is taking up a lot of space in the garage. Shocked

It even spreads into the "parts shed".

My feelings of accomplishment are hampered by the daunting task still ahead of me, but I won't be deterred. This truck WILL be finished by the time my son graduates high school. That's only 8 years away, but I think I can do it. Wink

Oh ya, some of my engine tin screws refuse to budge despite all my soaking and persuading. I don't see how I cut em off without damaging the tin. Any suggestions?

Thanks all,
Max
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! I believe that cable is what's left of the seat back release.it should go from a lever at the pillar to the underside of the seat frame.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a Dremel grinder for tight spots on these cars. The body doesn't look bad! Just need a fresh chassis to roll back underneath the body! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look as if the car was Originally Nutria and maybe even a two tone with a white roof ?

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your progress. As for the wire harness, if you plan on getting a new one, try to remove what you have as completely as you can as someone else may need a section or pieces. Some folks may run into an engine bay fire and need the rear section to splice in. Happened to me a while back. just a thought.

Once you clean the rusted pieces off the pan/tunnel area, you'll have a good start point to get it back together. When I started on my rebuild I was told to have a plan, set milestones, etc. I've been sticking with it regardless of the setbacks or challenges faced. I think you'll have this truck completed well within 8yrs though. Very Happy

Will be watching this post as your build progresses. One last thing, please be safe while working inside the shell. Are the 2x4s set in place temporary?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution, over the years we have seen too many projects start out in grand fashion only to have the interest get lost on the giant tasks that it takes to redo these cars. It's really easy to strip these cars down but the amount of money that it takes to put them together plus the time and limited availability of parts can create a stand still. (Pedro and I figured out that for his project T34 it's going to cost $425 per wheel to get it where he wants to be and that's for a stock set up) I would say save everything that is or could be reused or even might be able to be reused until after the car is finished. Never tear apart anything un less you know tat parts are available to put it together again. Asks lots of questions, we are here to help you and support you FINISHING your project. Best of luck and you can do this.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
A word of caution, over the years we have seen too many projects start out in grand fashion only to have the interest get lost on the giant tasks that it takes to redo these cars. It's really easy to strip these cars down but the amount of money that it takes to put them together plus the time and limited availability of parts can create a stand still. (Pedro and I figured out that for his project T34 it's going to cost $425 per wheel to get it where he wants to be and that's for a stock set up) I would say save everything that is or could be reused or even might be able to be reused until after the car is finished. Never tear apart anything un less you know tat parts are available to put it together again. Asks lots of questions, we are here to help you and support you FINISHING your project. Best of luck and you can do this.

And to expand on what Jack is saying, don't throw anything away, until after the new part is installed and working. Shocked With the quality of some parts these days, the older ones might be able to be refurbished and re-used (better quality parts). Just a heads up. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Congrats on your progress. As for the wire harness, if you plan on getting a new one, try to remove what you have as completely as you can as someone else may need a section or pieces. Some folks may run into an engine bay fire and need the rear section to splice in. Happened to me a while back. just a thought.

Once you clean the rusted pieces off the pan/tunnel area, you'll have a good start point to get it back together. When I started on my rebuild I was told to have a plan, set milestones, etc. I've been sticking with it regardless of the setbacks or challenges faced. I think you'll have this truck completed well within 8yrs though. Very Happy

Will be watching this post as your build progresses. One last thing, please be safe while working inside the shell. Are the 2x4s set in place temporary?

Thanks Mont3. I figured I would keep things like the light cluster thingy and any other larger electrical components, and based on your advice I will try to keep as much of the wiring intact as possible. I don't know how I'm gonna pull all those wires through the drivers side floor channel area though. Confused I do know I can't pull this through...

I'm definitely setting milestones. Easily attainable ones for now. I also do have a rough plan. For now it's to get the body bare and assess exactly how much welding etc. there is to do. That's the most daunting part of this whole thing for me...

but I ain't shook. I'm just gonna take my time and glean as much as I can from y'all. The rot in the front corner seems to be the most difficult part. The fenders will be tricky as well. I like Mike's idea of rolling a fresh chassis under it. Cool I also need to remove that ghastly rear "window" area...

Note the mascot...

And yes, the 2x4s are just until I can shift it over to some stands. Possibly sawhorses?
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:

Thanks Jack. I realize I'm still in the "easy" stage, and sometimes I look at Frank and think "what have I gotten myself into". But again, I ain't shook. I know I can get it done within my timeframe.

What kind of things should I not be tearing apart? My plans are to strip everything bare and start from naked. I'm keeping everything in the "parts shed" and even labeling lil baggies of nuts and bolts. What are some of the things that need to never be discarded EVER?
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the fuse box from the wiring and do what you can with it. I have to say you have some work ahead of you with that back-end. Could be easily replaced if you had a donor shell to take from. But as you mentioned assess where you are what you have to do. Ask questions. I have some pics on my thread on how I went about replacing pieces in the cargo area. If you had a good donor, you could replace your rear area as a whole. It'll save time and possibly some $$ in finding pieces.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximumFinishes wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

Thanks Mont3. I figured I would keep things like the light cluster thingy and any other larger electrical components, and based on your advice I will try to keep as much of the wiring intact as possible. I don't know how I'm gonna pull all those wires through the drivers side floor channel area though. Confused I do know I can't pull this through...

I'm definitely setting milestones. Easily attainable ones for now. I also do have a rough plan. For now it's to get the body bare and assess exactly how much welding etc. there is to do. That's the most daunting part of this whole thing for me...

but I ain't shook. I'm just gonna take my time and glean as much as I can from y'all. The rot in the front corner seems to be the most difficult part. The fenders will be tricky as well. I like Mike's idea of rolling a fresh chassis under it. Cool I also need to remove that ghastly rear "window" area...

Note the mascot...

And yes, the 2x4s are just until I can shift it over to some stands. Possibly sawhorses?

If you seperate the front wires from the fuse box, that entire harness can go out thru the front trunk.
As for the rest of the wires running inside the rocker, you're on your own. Wink

And YES, I've seen worse rust. Wink

It's ALL fixable. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave short pigtail wires on the fusebox,switches,relays to make them easier to rewire. Idea I would buy the Gerson pans first since the chassis is a big job all by itself.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I leave short pigtail wires on the fusebox,switches,relays to make them easier to rewire. Idea I would buy the Gerson pans first since the chassis is a big job all by itself.

Maybe (and that's a big maybe) if I was just replacing the rear harness. But, you're assuming that the fuse box is wired correctly. Shocked Remember, the number 1 hack of PO's IS the wiring. Evil or Very Mad Personally, I'd pull up the wiring diagram for the year (from the technical page above right corner), and go off it. That'll allow you to clean ALL of the terminals on the fuse box, by soaking it in something. Wink Do a search for that, as there are some good ideas on products that work. Smile
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: