Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project underway - tachometer/clock conversion for 69
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Project underway - tachometer/clock conversion for 69 Reply with quote

I saw a cheap tach available and decided that since my clock was non-working and the PO had cracked it open before, I'd take a shot at converting the inexpensive unit for use in place of the clock. I made up a new face to look the part, painted the orange needle white, and modified the illumination fro the blue leds to accept the original bulb socket. I used the clock chrome ring, and painted the frame ring flat black.

The unit: http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Tachometer-Gauge-Ho...=52mm+tach

It looks quite good in the dash, but the quality of the tach is pretty low - it doesn't suffer modification well, and is an 8K tach, so not well suited. Also, it calls attention to just how dirty the other gauges are.

I may place silver disk over the pointer hub like the fuel gauge has, or possible modfy the range so I use more of the sweep. It does have settings for 4, 6, and 8 cylinder, but think using the other settings may go the wrong way for what I'm looking for.

Still tweaking, and will keep you posted! It beats the old clock stuck at 3:30!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
capitolatim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Good Work Reply with quote

I've got the same situation on my 70. Tell us how you made the face, looks very good.

Cheers
Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scanned the original face, and made another in Illustrator, printed on a dye sub photo printer, and sprayed with matte clear spray. I will post a PDF of my design if anyone wants it.
Miaghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: cool! Reply with quote

very nice mod! I did the same on a 1960's Buick Tach. I may undertake the same in my car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
capitolatim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Yes, please post Reply with quote

ccihon wrote:
I scanned the original face, and made another in Illustrator, printed on a dye sub photo printer, and sprayed with matte clear spray. I will post a PDF of my design if anyone wants it.

Yes please post, thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Artwork Reply with quote

Here is a three-up version of the face I made for this tach - you can print at 100%. I used thick photopaper and then sprayed with a matte clear spray.

http://www.cihon.net/TACHFACE1.pdf
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing the pdf. I'm definitely gonna give it a shot on my 71.

You could seriously make some cash on conversions.

Great job!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do such nice work... Very Happy
VDO makes 2 1/16 tachs that work well. Worth the investment.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/vdo-gauges/part-type/tachometer-gauges
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered those as choices - and even saw somebody on classifieds is selling one with a chrome ring and white needle modification from NHS - but that one is $150, the stock black/orange is a hundred bucks - this is like 12 bucks.

I also designed a face that is patterned after the stock VW gauges rather than generic. I was taking less risk cracking this thing open than one I invested a hundred bucks in. But then I'm cheap.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I have a friend wanting to change out the clock. I no longer have my Alps printer but now with the artwork we can get it done, somehow.
I did my lowlight clock conversion with a broken clock. Luckily I found a printed face for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: