Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Transmission Help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: 74 Transmission Help Reply with quote

Over the weekend I picked up a 74 VW Dune buggy. As I was driving it home the transmission went out on me. I have 1,2, and 4th gear. It will not go into 3rd and it sounds like something is bouncing around in the trans case. So I am trying to locate a replacement for it now. My buggy has a swing axle set up, I found a 73 bug loacally with a IRS transmission. Will that tranny work with my axles? Will just about any late style tranny work? I am having a tough time figuring out exactly what I need and can do. I would like to find a rebuilt fresh trans so I can sleep easy knowing it'll be good. Thanks
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer tranny is not going to work. A 67 to 72 doublesided( a plate on each side of the diff) can be converted to swing or it already is.. The only problem is these trannys were 4.12 ring and pinion. You will have to find out how the broken tranny was geared. The year of your buggy has nothing to do with what year parts is in it. they are mostly made up out of different years of cars and parts. I would suggest finding some local help.
Carbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was reading that the IRS trans were geared higher. My buggy has the 1.2L engine. I guess I am confused on the differences between the swing axle and the IRS trans. Is there any difference, I can just keep my axles and use the trans, right?
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what version of irs and swingaxle trans you are trying to swap parts with. Your differential and swing axle gears may or may not be compatible with the swap. You need to know how many bolts attach your swing ring gear, and if the irs is the same. Also you will have to swap the side plates of the transaxles. If the irs trans only has one removable side cover, it cannot be swapped. Gearing is a whole other can of worms. Do not be tempted to just bolt your complete swing diff without changing the ring gear. Unless you know what you're doing, they must remain a matched set. To do it factory correct there are backlash and pinion depth measurements too, but you can roll the dice and hope it's all good.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: