Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft choice and what compression ratio
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heinz57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Camshaft choice and what compression ratio Reply with quote

I have been collecting parts for a new 2276 to go into my ‘59 Beetle with a '68 4:12 transmission. Its not a drag car, just a fun driver for local cruising and to make a few 200-300 mile highway trips a year for car shows. I want an engine that would make 140-150 hp without having to over stress it. The car is currently using the 1955 cc engine out of my Baja with with the a Vintage Speed Superflow 1 1/2" exhaust to go with the 1 1/2" diameter heater boxes.

I have few a concerns on my Engle FK44 camshaft choice and what to set the compression at. After reading many posts on 2276 build ups, it appears that many people are going with a 9 to 1 and higher on the compression. I checked with several local engine builders close to me and they all basically said go with 8.5 with that cam due to gasoline, heat and humidity here in the southeast? Maybe I have reading too many posts on the FK44 being a little noisy sounding and rough on the lifter bores due to its’ steep ramps, “arrow like” lobes someone said. Several posters also suggested using the Web 86B cam instead since it has less aggressive ramps. I don’t mind opening the case again to swap the cam or am I worrying about nothing? I was also holding off on buying heads for this engine until I get the cam and compression figured out. I was looking at the L5 CNC ported heads with the 40/35.5 valves.

Right now the 2276 short block has been assembled and consists of the following:

CB Aluminum standard 94mm case (Completely deburred and cleaned up inside and has a OEM German pickup tube installed and full flowed)
CB 82 mm crank w/VW rod journal
CB H beam rods w/ARP bolts
Dual 44 IDFs set up by John at ACN (Using them now on the 1955 cc Baja engine)
Engle FK44 cam and Engle lifters
DPR 10lbs OEM Flywheel
Kennedy stage 1 PP w/ a Daikin 200 disc
CB Magnaspark distributor (Got it with a core engine)
New OEM VW distributor drive gear, crank gears and timing gears
The entire rotating assembly was cleaned, checked and balanced
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Fk44 at 9.6:1 and 91 octane. Runs perfect. I believe DCR came in at 7.4:1... It is a little noisy but it is a great street cam. Torque that builds early and never stops.......

As for heads you need nice flowing heads. Make sure they can handle the lift. I came in at .561 with CB 1.4 rockers. VW 650 springs. Most off the shelf heads max out around .545.

"I checked with several local engine builders close to me and they all basically said go with 8.5 with that cam due to gasoline, heat and humidity here in the southeast?" ....I promise you they have not run this cam and are scared to try the higher compression. The humidity is pea soup down here in Louisiana. Trust me, 9.6:1 will be perfect.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your 1 1/2" exhaust and L5 heads, leave the FK-44 and use CB 1.3 rockers. Set the compression around 8.8-9.2.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like noisy cams and never recommend them. There is other stuff out there that will make just as much power without the noise. Dan
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of the W120 and 1.25's. I ran 10.5 to 1 compression ratio with that and Mofoco 050's. I could run 87 pump gas, no pinging.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heinz57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I do have access to a new W120 cam. I was a little concerned about the FK44 when I was first starting building engine due to the VS exhaust size limitations. Either way I have to buy ratio rockers regardless of which camshaft I keep or install. I guess I should have done some more homework on the FK44 before buying one.

If I go with the W120 camshaft with the 1.25 rockers and the L5 CNC ported 40/35.5 heads (64 cc), should I go with a 9 to 9.5 compression? I have always run super unleaded 93 octane so that's not an issue for me.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heinz57 wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I do have access to a new W120 cam. I was a little concerned about the FK44 when I was first starting building engine due to the VS exhaust size limitations. Either way I have to buy ratio rockers regardless of which camshaft I keep or install. I guess I should have done some more homework on the FK44 before buying one.

If I go with the W120 camshaft with the 1.25 rockers and the L5 CNC ported 40/35.5 heads (64 cc), should I go with a 9 to 9.5 compression? I have always run super unleaded 93 octane so that's not an issue for me.

Yeah, between 9 and 9.5 will run great on any fuel.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my old fk 8,kinda wish it was in this motor so i could use more ratio. Im not a fan of pointy lobes, or tall lobes.I like to let the rocker do it's job and use as short of a lobe as possiable so your not throwing the lifter & pushrod oh so far and expecting the spring to shuve it back effectively with low ratios. Im thinken on trying to get a .280" lift roller lobe and my 2.1 ratio rockers for my 356 for a very mild set up 200hp+ highway car. but currently the fish fryer is full and so is the bucket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: