Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint "Blues"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The temperatures of an unpolished joint might go down fairly significantly as the joint wears in, so any testing would need to be done over a long period of time.

This is why I asked about the mileage on the "Autozone" CVs a few posts up. Ron reported that he had "a couple thousand miles on it". I would think that a couple thousand miles would be enough for the CV to loosen up.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
I would think that a couple thousand miles would be enough for the CV to loosen up.

agreed
however, by that time pits may have already been created because the joint was not articulating freely and evenly.

from j_dirge and others who report early pitting, I believe that is a consistent pattern. That is, installing tight joints is followed by unusually premature pitting, caused while the joint is literally BREAKING in.

from where I sit, installing tight joints is an invitation to early pitting and excess heat.

this can be avoided by using New Joints that have been Polished, essentially WEARING in the joint evenly, instead of with hot spots and pressure pits caused by hoping the tight joint will BREAK in during operation.

I see a consistent pattern that people who install tight unpolished joints report early pitting.

sample advertisement for
Blue Mountain Goat brand, Polished CV Joints:
"Reduce the risk of premature Pitting, Hot spots, vibration, noise, and premature CV joint failure, within the first 2k miles or less, by installing our Custom Polished CV Joints" Smile

Last edited by Jon_slider on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just interesting to hear all the comments about CV joints. Some say polish, some say no, this grease, that grease, to much angle, to expensive, to cheap, this brand, that brand, do this, don't do that. I am used to just getting a good quality part, quality grease, install it correctly, then forget about it until time for maintenance. Shocked

I just thought I would try what some others have done. I only polished the high marks out. There were still some machine marks in the races. I just could not install CV joints that would hardly even plunge. The earlier joints that I purchased were not this stiff out of the box.

As far as the temperature of the CV joints I just took a reading on what was under the van at the time. The Autozone half shaft was on there and had enough miles to wear in. But it was also on the side that has been running hotter.

Last night when I took readings again, it was with all new Lobros (Polished) and the temps were within a couple degrees on the inners on both sides.

I do appreciate the knowledge and wisdom from all of you and your thoughts and comments. Hopefully my CV joint issues will subside for a while. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I just could not install CV joints that would hardly even plunge. The earlier joints that I purchased were not this stiff out of the box.

well said!
the current run of CVs are tighter, new out of the box, than they used to be, and are correlated with numerous reports of early pitting, noise, and unsatisfactory performace.

I think you have done a great service to the community by sharing all your efforts, and am confident that your New Polished Lobro Joints that have smooth easy plunge from day 1 will NOT be pitted prematurely.

You deserve to enjoy the fruits of your research and labor, and Im hopeful that Polishing your new Joints will in no way shorten their life compared to unpolished, overly tight joints.

Thanks also for yet again demonstrating that your temperature readings clearly show lower operating temperatures for polished joints, regardless which side of the van they are on, or what brand they are.

with all due respect to iDougs hypothesis that a driver side CV will run hotter due to road crown, no one has assessed that effect, yet. I recently measured my van angle change due to road crown and came up with a nominal 2 degrees on a noticeably over-crowned section of newly repaved tarmac. I invite iDoug to take some CV temp readings, on the road of his choice, and report the temperature difference between driver and passenger sides on his van. There is currently no temperature data to indicate a significant difference between axle sides due solely to road crown. otoh, we have considerable evidence suggesting that tight joints run hotter than polished joints, regardless which side of the van they are on.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this is very interesting, but reputable replacement CV joints should not require all of this extra attention. Certainly car racing has more unique challenges, but these joints should not require blue printing to push our shoeboxes down the road. Hopefully this will catch up with the manufacturers at some point.

As far as the grease is concerned. CV grease should contain called something like molybdenum. It is a graphite type additive that should adhere to the metal and act as an additional lubricant to the grease.

I am currently running 4 new Lobro CV joints that I packed with the grease supplied as a test. I have a trip to Wisconsin and back and a trip to Colorado and back on them. Now would be a good time to pull the CV's and inspect their wear. I just have too many other projects going on right now. I have always used Redline CV2 grease for CV's. These vanagon replacement CV's have been the headache.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative to polishing the new joints would be to have them shot peened. This should smooth them out a bit and get the work hardening started across the entire face of the joint.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how having a smoother surface would be very beneficial, allowing the joint to move and avoiding wearing the same points.

I can also see how having the bore very closely match the size of the balls would also be beneficial by increasing the contact area between the ball and the channel and reducing the contact area pressure.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent email to Weddle, will share what I learn.

Also see
http://www.weddleindustries.com/services/house-rem-superfinishing-process-weddle-industries

http://www.weddleindustries.com/services/shot-peening

---
Subject:
Vanagon Syncro CV Joint Polishing

Dear Weddle,

In this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7390169#7390169
we are discussing the high failure rate and high operating temperatures of currently offered Type 2 and Type 4 CV joints for Vanagons. Currently new CV Joints from companies including GKN Lobro are arriving very tight, and are developing pits within the break in period.

I see you offer polishing services including Shot Peening and also REM Superfinishing services.

What would it cost to purchase a set of 4 GKN Lobro CV joints, prepped by Weddle, so they plunge freely and operate smoothly, with whatever process you feel most appropriate?

Thanks!
---

I got the reply already!:

"We can shot peen the cages and REM the joint for about $60.00 each for a few of them. If you wanted to do a bunch of them, say 30 joints, I could do them for about $30 each. That would include shot peening the cages."

imo this is a product offering opportunity for anyone interested in stocking a bunch of CVs for resale.. you know,
"Blue Goat CV's" Smile
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify regarding temps of CVs on each side of the car. I haven't read what I posted earlier in this thread, but I would not expect to see temp differences from right to left due to one side simply being extended too far being readable with an IR gun. Rather I'd expect damage from the heat being generated at the wrong spot locally within the joint creating further damage, but the total heat of the CV joint would be much the same to an IR query pointed at a boot. Eventually of course when the joint is badly damaged and beating itself apart that may change. But those initial heat conditions would not be detected by an IR gun laying under the Van.

Temp of two normal and identical CVs would be expected to be the same simply because all else equal the temp is a proxy for applied torque. Apply more torque, generate more heat.

What is different about the heat generated by an extended CV is WHERE it is generated, but a reading of the joint would not catch that so easily outside a lab. That's the heat I'm worried about. Somewhere inside a joint sustaining damage is a super hot spot where the pressure between metal parts (and the localized spot of heat this creates) is overwhelming the lube. But a reading of the joint from outside using an IR gun would show either no difference, or a minor one.

Understand the physics of a CV as to heat. In a CV, the heat is generated in a tiny little arc in each cavity of the star where the ball rolls along. It rolls along under pressure that is determined by the torque of the engine. That's it. All the heat comes from that arc (yes, some minor other friction things but inconsequential). And we know heat flows from hot areas to cooler areas. So the heat is handled by the joint itself acting like a heat sink - drawing off the heat and radiating it out. The grease also absorbs and disperses the heat.

If the arc is too close to an edge of the part (such as an extended CV), then the part is really hot on that end and cooler on the other end. That may mean a river of heat is flowing into the grease off one end of the part that exceeds the grease's rating. Or the part itself is so hot on that end that the metal is softening (because there is not more metal next to the heat source to quickly draw heat off). That's just one example of heat causing things not to wear properly.

Of course, if you add more torque (such as an engine swap) then that arc may be way hotter than the part was designed to be. And it sheds metal that now becomes sandpaper to grind the already too hot arc of contact into a groove very quickly.

But none of this would neccessarily be visible to an IR gun.

What's my point? That opening two identical joints run for the same miles and visually looking at the differences will tell much more than periodic heat gun queries. Both joints will shed close to the same amount of heat for the heat gun to see, but deep inside of them the hot spots may be very different. The wear patterns are better indicators of what is going wrong.

I think CVs made for higher output engines (with better materials including the mentioned heat/cryo treatments) to match an engine swap are the solution and answer. I don't think polishing is going to make much of a difference. A joint quickly smooths in its wear path and it does it by rolling, not sliding - work hardening any high spots down (such as minor machining texture). Is a polished joint better? Yeah. But measurably better in a way that measurably increases component life? I don't think so.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Understand the physics of a CV as to heat. In a CV, the heat is generated in a tiny little arc in each cavity of the star where the ball rolls along. It rolls along under pressure that is determined by the torque of the engine. That's it. All the heat comes from that arc (yes, some minor other friction things but inconsequential). And we know heat flows from hot areas to cooler areas. So the heat is handled by the joint itself acting like a heat sink - drawing off the heat and radiating it out. The grease also absorbs and disperses the heat.

I understand your comment on what is generating the heat. As the ball rolls along on a surface friction between the surfaces causes the heat. Less friction/less heat. If we could can get the ball to ride on a layer of lubricant wouldn't we create less heat? Isn't that what the grease is supposed to help do? We talk about MOLY in the grease or high load capable grease. Since the grease absorbs and disperses the heat, shouldn't we want as much inside the boot as possible to move the heat away from the center of the joint towards the coolest part of the assembly, the axle? I often take a grease needle and squirt additional grease in the joints periodically. I noticed on an earlier IR measurement that the outside of the joint was running much hotter than the axle. The joint was 10-15º hotter than the axle and cooler the further from the heat source. It is also interesting that the joints must be pulling heat from the transaxle because the inside joints are always hotter than the outside or wheel side joints. (I spend too much time under the van with an IR gun) Shocked

The same concept is going on in the transaxle. 4th gear under torque creates the arc of heat. Throwing cooler lubricant at the source cools that and using a high load carrying oil helps keep contact between the surfaces minimal.

Am I correct in my thinking?

If we could keep friction down, keep surfaces from direct contact with each other and get them to ride on a layer of lubricant, isn't that what we are trying to do? Too much friction, too much heat and the lubricant cannot keep a layer of protection and the metal on metal begins to breakdown and add even more friction causing particles to the mix. Then we have failures. Smoother surfaces with no high spots should help to keep a layer of protective grease.

I am just trying to learn something from everyone here. It just seems to me that the people that put extreme loads on engineered parts must have figured out that polishing the surfaces is an advantage and have tried different lubricants to help keep temperatures down.

The joints I have inspected wore grooves in the races. Once these grooves are worn, then the balls must try and stay in the grooves when we need them to move as the joints plunge. This must generate heat as the balls climb over the high spots thus breaking down the grease and making matters worse.

I am just talking out loud thinking of what is happening. Rolling Eyes

I guess if polishing did not do any good, at least I spent some quality time with the internals of the CV joints on my van. Wink and I am more than willing to make an effort to learn new things.

Thanks to all for making me think. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

I think CVs made for higher output engines (with better materials including the mentioned heat/cryo treatments) to match an engine swap are the solution and answer.
DougM

I hope so.

I will be watching my 944 Lobros much closer than my last set of Vanagon Lobros.
And I am going to wait on installing the 930 CVs until I have worn the 944s for a year or more and observed.

Are over-sized wheels/tires contributing to heat/wear do you think.
It was only my puny WBXer that ate the last set of Lobros

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jael,

Yep, you r correct in all respects. On function of grease - yes exact goal is no metal to metal contact. Same as all lubes essentially. When either gear pressure is too high for design PSI, or heat is too high (from psi or other heat source) for lube to handle then metal to metal and damage happens. The tiny little point of contact has an extraordinary amount going on. Incredibly, just the thinnest film is in there and that's all it takes.

As for adding grease actually you can add too much in some joint designs and add rotating friction with no added lube benefit. I think in this case it would just shorten boot life in extremis, but doubt you are there.

On moly, it is typically used in exactly this application - high load low speed bearings. From what I recall the moly is in the form of microscopic blobs that sacrifice themselves when trapped in the pressure point and smear. It fills microscopic pores and voids, helping the much smaller oil particles do its job. Great stuff. I don't have the grease I repacked my CVS handy but I would think VW specs it here, yes?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Somewhere inside a joint sustaining damage is a super hot spot where the pressure between metal parts (and the localized spot of heat this creates) is overwhelming the lube.

Thanks for taking the time to help educate us. Your explanation is very clear and sensible.

IdahoDoug wrote:
opening two identical joints run for the same miles and visually looking at the differences will tell much more than periodic heat gun queries

total agreement, please share your insights and interpretetion of the cause of half the balls being hotter, in this report:

j_dirge wrote:

I finally disassembled my newer Lobros.. and they show relatively even wear.
That is except one of them.. And it was most certainly the CV that was making noise.
The first thing I noticed upon cleaning was the pitting. Not present in any of the other 3 CVs from the same purchase.
Second thing I noticed was that three of the six balls were discolored.. from excessive heat? Weird that three were normal and three were discolored.
Upon cleaning the outer piece, there was more evidence of excessive heat. Discoloration at specific bearing race slots. Not all of them, just 2 or 3.
Heat is not dissipating throughout the entire CV.. and grease must have been uneven.

regarding this comment three of the six balls were discolored by j_dirge my take away is:

a joint that is tight and does not articulate freely, focuses pressure producing heat, on some balls more than others.

IF the joint is clearanced by polishing, so it does not bind, and instead allows equal and even articulation at each ball, then I am hoping to have more evenly matched ball temperatures.

If a joint is NOT polished, and is simply installed to Break in during use, that can work fine. In 3 out of 4 of the Joints j_dirge installed, that worked. But one of his joints did not break in before the excess localized heat on half the balls, caused pits.

I have high hopes that because Syncro Jael's polishing has insured his joints are operating freely, that his ball pressures will be spread out evenly, and he wont get pits from hot spots.

j_dirge wrote:
Are over-sized wheels/tires contributing to heat/wear do you think.

My guess is yes. Im also really interested in iDoug's take on that.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some earlier CV temps that I have recorded in other posts.

Syncro Jael wrote:
Outers were running about 150º and the right inner was 178º and the left inner was 208º. The shafts themselves were about 130º.

Syncro Jael wrote:

Outside temps are 45-65°F
Transmission temps running 125-150°F

Here are the temps when finished and parked after the test trip

Decoupler running 122°
Transaxle 150°
Bell housing running 180°
Inner CV joints 184°
Outer CV joints 90°
Rear bearing carriers 87°
Front Diff 94°
Front Inner CV joints 94°
Front Outer CV joints 91°
Front bearing axle shaft 89°

I included these pics of some failed CV joints. The machining of the races look much smoother than what I am seeing today. Some of these joints are definitely better quality than the others as far as smoothness.

Alex Proulx wrote:
All 4 CVs are cleaned. Boy what a dirty job.
Now the big question is: do I need new CVs?
Pictures below show some of the worst spots.

Passenger-wheel
This is where I feel the vibration is comming from. This is also the worst of all 4 joints. Pitting in a few cups. Grease was dried up inside the boot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger-tranny
This one is not bad. The outer part has no pitting, the inner part has pitting only on one cup.

Driver-wheel
This is the second worst joint. Small pitting on the outer part. 2 cups have pitting on the inner part.

Driver-tranny
Some polished spots on the outer part. Pitting on 1 cup on the inner part.

Should I just rotate them? Get one, two, three or four?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Thank you Ben for your detailed CV maintenance instructions on your web page.

Alex

And this was back in March 2014 after I installed my rebuilt transaxle.

Syncro Jael wrote:
I have been working on ways to cool the transaxle off using airflow under the vehicle.

During some of my testing I have noticed that the Inner CV joints are running about 20° hotter than the transaxle case temperatures. I can't find a thread where anyone has discussed this or what is normal.

So the last time I used the IF gun and shot them they both were 194° with a transaxle case temp of 172°.

Scary to see the CV joints this hot? Shocked What do you think? PARINOID ME?

It seems like there is beginning to be more posts on CV joint failures. If the grease we use is better, then the joint quality must be going downhill. I have seen some posts of 944 joints that are almost black in color that look machined very smooth. I would like to see some, anyone have photos?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not take pics of my 944 CVs, but they are most certainly a different compostion. They are a darker gun metal, where the Vanagon CVs are more silver in tone.

HOWEVER! My 944CVs came brand new out of the box.. stiiffer than ANY CV I have held in my hand yet.
It took me aback..

SO I worked grease into them and MANUALLY worked them loose enough to flex. I had to do that just to install them.
Then I drove a few miles at low load (flat roads, no cargo loads, no laying into the pedal)
I put the van back into the garage an slid the axles back and forth.. much smoother.
I unbolted the inner CVs and checked articulation and they were smoother but still on the stiff side.

I then did a 400 mile trip.
Checked again.
Axles slide even easier, and the inner CVs are buttery smooth, and articulate nicely.

BUT.. I started hearing a light and muffled whoomp whoomp two days ago..
Last time I heard that noise, a boot had torn.
I'll be damned if an outer boot tore at less than 1000 miles.
I'll be checking it out in a day or two.. and will report back.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me is I have a 2002 Acura RSXS with 220,000 miles on it. Original CV's and boots. In my days at the VW and Audi dealers, the majority of the CV work we did was replacing torn boots. Very rarely would you come across pitted joints as shown above. Now it seems almost common place. Granted I am making more power at a stock ride height, but in my case the one CV I had replaced of 4, was the one that failed prematurely. Good reading.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

It seems like there is beginning to be more posts on CV joint failures. If the grease we use is better, then the joint quality must be going downhill. I have seen some posts of 944 joints that are almost black in color that look machined very smooth. I would like to see some, anyone have photos?

I just wonder why the original joints had over 200tsd km (mine nearly 300) without polishing and knowing the temps, and the new ones dont get to 100tsd.
It is the quality or the combination of high torque engines ,big tires and weight.
I would not wonder if some GKN joints are false and produced in (dont wont to say china now) somewhere low cost base.
I told already in another post, that i made a self test by buying cheap joints.
They were broken after 4tsd km.
Now i have (i hope) original GKN joints for 20tsd km and no problem.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
I just wonder why the original joints had over 200tsd km (mine nearly 300) without polishing and knowing the temps, and the new ones dont get to 100tsd.

What does "tsd" stand for?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thousand?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
thousand?

me?
Yes a boot has a slight tear in it at under 1000 miles..
Not much grease, if any, thrown yet..

I am in utter disbelief.

I'll be taking it all apart to see what could possibly have caused that.. other than the boot being complete junk.

(the boots are not zip-tied, they are loose) Shocked
f'en A!

danfromsyr wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: