Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded on the way to ALASKA!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks El_Güero that is some pretty useful information right there.

I don't have a scanner and I think the one that I need is not available outside of Mexico as the connector is different.

Something I can look into when I return to Mex in November.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a scanner and I think the one that I need is not available outside of Mexico as the connector is different.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I am spending a few days at Go westy to sort some stuff out before I do a lot of miles with my family in the bus.

Remember I said I was leaking oil. Well I took off the rocker and tried to tighten the accessible bolts only to discover to my horror that I wasn't able to tighten them. How can I explain this. The bolts never reached the correct torque, the stud just kept getting longer like it was ripping straight out of the block.

The #4 stud (H in the diagram) just kept coming out from the block but it wasn't spinning out, it was just pulling straight out.

To be honest I can't remember if I removed these studs at rebuild time and put locktite on or not. Has anyone seen this problem before?

NB The case has case savers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've managed to tighten them pretty well, but not to 25 foot pounds. Why wont these things stay together? I put a heck of a lot of effort into my last build! Rolling Eyes

lots more problems with the bus as usual but I don't want to burden you guys with it.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: case stud leak Reply with quote

Normally the case inserts won't pull out but your extreme trip could have been too much for the inserts and studs or worse.
Having a crack in the case develop from a case saver. Lets hope it just the
stud leaking. and yes Loctite is recommended with the inserts as well as the
case studs and ALSO some type of sealer on the lower case nuts in the
rocker box on all 4 nuts.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I really really hope that this doesn't spell disaster. I would feel more comfortable if I could take out the bottom studs and put them back in with new locktite and sealant but there isn't enough room to do that whilst the head is still on... anyone think it is possible?

cheers

Ben
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you in california right now? my dad just flew into rialto tonight, and im joining him on the 9th....what all are your plans?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Man I really really hope that this doesn't spell disaster. I would feel more comfortable if I could take out the bottom studs and put them back in with new locktite and sealant but there isn't enough room to do that whilst the head is still on... anyone think it is possible?

cheers

Ben

Not sure what is going on at this point. No better advice for you than to try and pick the time and place you work on her.

Wonder is someone has an engine they could lend you?
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bus was spotted in Home Depot parking lot 2 days ago in San Luis Obispo Ca. FYI Are you still in the area Ben? I do wonder if Go Westy is really much of a resource.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back around 1984 I did a top end overhaul for a friend who had a 1971 bus. When I went to torque the heads some of the studs started pulling. I opted to give him back the bus with the heads torqued as best I could.

A couple weeks later he was about 60 miles away when he called me and said he was broken down. I had to rent a tow dolly and go get him. Then I pulled the engine and installed self tapping oversized studs. These worked well enough and I was able to get the heads torqued properly.

The correct fix would have been to tear the engine completely down and have a machine shop do a proper repair on the studs by installing case savers. I was in college at the time and elected to go the cheap and dirty route.

In your situation with an odd ball engine like you have it's hard to tell if you already have case savers or not without really getting in there for a close look. If you don't have case savers you might be able to remove the bad studs one at a time and install the self tapping oversized studs like I used.

On the other hand, if you do have case savers and they are pulling (which I've never heard of happening before) then I'd say it's new engine time. What you have in there would be a nightmare trying to rebuild. I'd just do a swap to a carbureted engine. The swap wouldn't take more that a day I don't think.

Frankensteins Monster

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLO? Ben, you should stay there for Huckfest Laughing

http://www.thehuckfest.com/

There are a lot of sandrails out there, meaning vw people. You could probably find someone who has a cheap spare engine.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New engine seems like the right move, if possible. Thinking long term, I wouldn't want to be driving with that engine once you get north of Prince George, BC. as you'll be in the middle of nowhere.

The good news is you're in California where getting a new engine will be easier and cheaper, and seems like there's lots of volunteers to give you a hand Smile

Get the new engine, work out the kinks over the winter in sunny california, and then off to the Great White North.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giller wrote:
........ I wouldn't want to be driving with that engine once you get north of Prince George, BC. as you'll be in the middle of nowhere......

Indeed, if Alaska is still on the itinerary there's some really long and desolate stretches of less than ideal roads to traverse, there has to be no doubt it'll do it when you are pulling out of town because you'll be on your own for quite some time. Also the spacing between VW parts supplies and helpers is much larger, you'll be at the mercy of the local towing guy and I don't think you'll like his rates and living in his shop while you do another rebuild likely isn't an option.
Just for a little perspective on the roads and distances here's a couple recent threads from other members, this one experienced some mechanical issues and got really exciting near the end but he pulled it off, the bus started out in much better shape than Bens: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596474
This one was quick and uneventful because it was done in a very well maintained quick bus: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597186

And that brings us to the question of what to do with the bus when the trip is finally over? I have yet to see one of those Brazilian buses titled sucessfully in Canada so selling it here would probably be for parts prices only. Installing a new engine likely wouldn't be cheap and I don't think you'd ever come close to recovering the cost at sale time, it doesn't seem like that fits the current budget situation either. Another option would be a presale to another roadtripper either locally or in Europe who want's to do a similar trip southbound, problem is it seems many who share that dream have no money so it may take a while to find the right qualified buyer.
Just a little food for thought, now's the time to do something serious about that engine if you can as you'll never get closer to the right place to do it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a frankenshteen motor. Its Brazilian.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
...I have yet to see one of those Brazilian buses titled sucessfully in Canada so selling it here...

If it's 15 years old it can be imported to Canada and titled, the problem would be that he can't drive it into Canada with the intent to sell it here, it has to be 'imported'.

(He can drive it here as long as the bus leaves with him [how would they know if he sold it for parts Wink ]).
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
...I have yet to see one of those Brazilian buses titled sucessfully in Canada so selling it here...

If it's 15 years old it can be imported to Canada and titled, the problem would be that he can't drive it into Canada with the intent to sell it here, it has to be 'imported'.

(He can drive it here as long as the bus leaves with him [how would they know if he sold it for parts Wink ]).

Yes, but it also has to pass an inspection and can't be registered without the proper import paperwork, either a temporary import bond or a vehicle import form that you get at customs when you first come to Canada.

There's quite a few oddball European and South American buses in boneyards that lack the appropriate documentation here, castoffs from similar trips where the owner ended up cashing out for pennies on the dollar mainly due to time constraints.
Start shopping it around on the market now so there's a buyer standing at milepost zero or wherever the trip ends to take it off your hands.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time to reply as battery is running out but here are a couple of pictures I grabbed today.

I'll write more later when I have a charge.

I love this FI Mexi engine btw - it behaves so much better than anything else I've had.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call me at 206 841 7324 ben, lets connect!

Stuart

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:

Ben: I think ECS Tuning has a scanner that is compatible with the Mexican Beetle. Alternatively you can download some free VAG s/w from 1600i.de.
This thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7379096 has some info on how to make a cable or you can get an adapter cable from Antonio Trejo (see pic).

If you download the s/w you'll need a USB to OBDII cable as well.

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
I do wonder if Go Westy is really much of a resource.

So far they have been very helpful. improving the saftey of the bus, a couple of new tires, and brakes etc... I'm not going to be able to do the engine work here but they have been very welcoming and they are great company.

aeromech wrote:

On the other hand, if you do have case savers and they are pulling (which I've never heard of happening before) then I'd say it's new engine time. What you have in there would be a nightmare trying to rebuild. I'd just do a swap to a carbureted engine. The swap wouldn't take more that a day I don't think.

I guess there is a first time for everything ha ha. I really like this Mexi FI engine, it has been working better than anything else I've had up until this point. Personally I would like to stay with it, I don't miss adjusting my valves, checking my timing or fiddling with my carb at all. I think the problem I am having all along is that 1600cc is just not enough to move anything more than a bug for a long distance. I wanted to put something bigger in when I was stuck in Mexico last year, but that wasn't an option. Man I am so over pulling out VW engines Mad

Brian wrote:
SLO? Ben, you should stay there for Huckfest Laughing

Ooh Huckfest looks fun. Trouble is my family is coming out this week and I have to drive with them from LA to Yosemite to San Francisco over 2 weeks. 4 of us. Anyone thing that the bus will make it as is?
giller wrote:
ller"]
Get the new engine, work out the kinks over the winter in sunny california, and then off to the Great White North.

Lovely America only permits me 90 days to explore so I have to head to Mexico on the 5th Nov for winter. Alaska next year. So that leaves me a window of 2 weeks to get a new engine / fix mine and get from San Fran to Baja. Shocked

busdaddy wrote:
...now's the time to do something serious about that engine if you can as you'll never get closer to the right place to do it.

Subaru conversion Question Seriously though?

ned wrote:
Its not a frankenshteen motor. Its Brazilian.

It's Mexican, the motor at least.

busdaddy wrote:

Start shopping it around on the market now so there's a buyer standing at milepost zero or wherever the trip ends to take it off your hands.

I've already lost my entire life savings on this bus, so what I make on the bus is the least of my worries right now. Someone will buy it for $1 when I finish. I just need to get to Alaska. I don't want to be known as the guy that mad all this huff and puff about going to Alaska and never actually got there Very Happy

hopkin wrote:

If you download the s/w you'll need a USB to OBDII cable as well.

Thanks for the info mate, saved for future reference.

Arrow

Any comments on the pictures?

Any idea how much meat is left on that case saver inside the case?

There is one good and one bad on both the #3 & #4 cylinders.

See how there seems to be oil coming out between cylinder and head? How bad does it look to you?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Subaru conversion Question Seriously though?

Uhoh, you said the magic word. Skills is in bound!

Start looking now and save up to get a motor on your way back down to mexico. Plenty of motors down in Otay Mesa

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Page 83 of 127

Jump to: