Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lots of barney questions...
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Lots of barney questions... Reply with quote

Hi all,

After five months apart, I had the chance to visit my barney this past weekend. The chap in charge of the metalwork is half a country away from me...

We have quite a few questions at this point, which I'm hoping you lot may be able to help us out with, please. Wink

1. Is the bottom of the nose 'V' on a '67 the same as on a '54? Just that area on my bus was rusted away, so the best that I could at short notice was to get my '67 bus there for him to sample.

2a. I believe that barneys do not use the adapter plates between their bumper brackets and front bumpers, like on the later pressed bumpers. Is this correct?

2b. How big is the gap between the body and the top/bottom of the rear bumper?

2c. Are later rear pressed bumper brackets the same as barney rear brackets?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

3a. What is the ivory pull-switch for?

3b. I gather that the large hole is incorrect and that it should have a smaller hole, for a starter button. Is that correct, and if so, what size and do any of you have the correct locating measurements, please?

Lastly...

4. All of the passenger-side door rubber bumper holes that stop the cab and cargo doors from resting on each other have accidentally been closed. Are these tapped holes, drilled holes with captive nuts, etc.. and again, I'm looking for locating measurements here, please.

Any and all info' would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Nic

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lots of barney questions... Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:

shouldn't be there, it is a later wiper or headlight or courtesy light switch. remove this.

Quote:
3b. I gather that the large hole is incorrect and that it should have a smaller hole, for a starter button. Is that correct, and if so, what size and do any of you have the correct locating measurements, please?

seeing it is a 54 it should have the smaller Aluminum starter button, somebody obviously enlarged it to mount a different or earlier big button.
If I can find my starter button I'll get you the diameter.

the ribbed rear bumper mounts should work for all years.

front bumper mounts are solid steel blade type like on a beetle, you'll find reasonable reproduction mounts in the classifieds.

'52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
'54 Sunroof Oval project, Lichtbeige L275
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, Taubenblau L31 all og paint
'62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
'67 1500 Käfer, Lotus weiß L282 all og paint w/red interior
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lots of barney questions... Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Merlin wrote:

shouldn't be there, it is a later wiper or headlight or courtesy light switch. remove this.

Quote:

seeing it is a 54 it should have the smaller Aluminum starter button, somebody obviously enlarged it to mount a different or earlier big button.
If I can find my starter button I'll get you the diameter.

the ribbed rear bumper mounts should work for all years.

front bumper mounts are solid steel blade type like on a beetle, you'll find reasonable reproduction mounts in the classifieds.

Many thanks, djfordmanjack.

I'll have my metal guy close up both holes on the RHS of the pod. Smile

I've had a set of Brian's repro front mounts in the mail for two months already. Smile The postal system... *sigh*

Nic

iowegian wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lots of barney questions... Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:
Hi all,

We have quite a few questions at this point, which I'm hoping you lot may be able to help us out with, please. Wink

1. Is the bottom of the nose 'V' on a '67 the same as on a '54? Just that area on my bus was rusted away, so the best that I could at short notice was to get my '67 bus there for him to sample.

2b. How wide is the gap between the body and the top/bottom of the rear bumper?

3. What size is the hole for the '54 starter button (djfordmanjack?) and do any of you have the correct locating measurements, please?

Lastly...

4. All of the passenger-side door rubber bumper holes that stop the cab and cargo doors from resting on each other have accidentally been closed. Are these tapped holes, drilled holes with captive nuts, etc.. and again, I'm looking for locating measurements here, please.

Any and all info' would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Nic

iowegian wrote:
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to find the starter button anyways, so I will be looking for it this week.

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look here, we discussed this topic a while ago and found it
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4367890&highlight=#4367890

obviously with a diam. of 19mm it will have 18mm threads and hole size. will try to verify this . I'd say the position will be concentric to the big hole they just opened up to a larger diam.

Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

obviously with a diam. of 19mm it will have 18mm threads and hole size. will try to verify this . I'd say the position will be concentric to the big hole they just opened up to a larger diam.

Much appreciated, djfordmanjack. Thank you. Smile

iowegian wrote:
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

Hi djfordmanjack,

Excuse the daft question, but is the hole in the pod threaded or a clean cut? Your comment about 18mm vs. 19mm has me pondering...

Were you, or anyone else here, able to figure out the exact location of the starter hole, please?

My metal guy is due to close both of these pod holes, soon.

Also, all of the passenger-side door rubber bumper holes that stop the cab and cargo doors from resting on each other have accidentally been closed. Are these tapped holes, drilled holes with captive nuts, etc.. and again, I'm looking for locating measurements here, please.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm over a thousand miles away from my metal guy and have no other Bds around here to compare with, unfortunately. Sad

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nic

iowegian wrote:
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps I measured this of a 54 rhd, the 25mm is measured from the start of the small curve/end of the straight section, just out of sight in you're photo. From the end point (the centre of the hole) straight up 90 deg is 30mm to the seam in the pod. The hole is 18mm. As mentioned, the only other holes on this side, are the two oval ones on the bottom edge to mount the pod.

Cheers…A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu,

I am indebted. Very Happy

Thank you.

Any idea about the holes for the 'bump-stops' (cargo doors and body)?

Kind regards,

Nic

iowegian wrote:
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, cant help with the cargo doors as my 54 is a single cab. sorry…A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, otahuhu. Smile

Anyone else able to assist, please?

Kind regards,

Nic

iowegian wrote:
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the exact locations, but this should help

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457386&highlight=door+bumper

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Not the exact locations, but this should help

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457386&highlight=door+bumper

Thanks, Scotty.

It's probably a safe assumption that they were centered then, vertically and horizontally.

I haven't seen my bus in half a year...

Are the holes simply drilled and then tapped (if so, what size thread?) or is there a captive nut present behind the skin?

iowegian wrote:
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my bus (52) it's just a hole. You have to put a nut on the back of the door stopper

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
On my bus (52) it's just a hole. You have to put a nut on the back of the door stopper

Thanks, Scotty.

iowegian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: