Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Springs and Shocks - 10/26 UPDATE
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Springs and Shocks - 10/26 UPDATE Reply with quote

Had a thread about tires. Got a lot of help Thanks.
Got the recommended alignment. Tires no longer the big deal.

I have H&Rs on the van. It came with them 7 years ago. The rears are coil on coil and the front are not much better. The tech told me to get new springs and shocks and come back.

Carpenter. Between tools and dump runs I routinely carry very heavy loads. The van is a work truck, (retired Wolfsburg Weekender).

VC has the Weitec that is slightly less drop than the H&R and the HD stock stiffer spring that will raise the van 1/2 to 1 " from normal.

Will the Weitec carry the load?

From what I gather the Koni and Bilstein are 1 and 2.
Budget is a major concern here, I also need tires.

I have read about the Monroe and the stock Sachs. Most of the info about shocks is for normally driven vans. Any recommendation for a, periodically, heavily loaded work truck?

Tires.
The 185 Hankook was my choice until I got the alignment news.
I found a Hercules HSI snow tire at tire-easy. The tread might be nice for the dirt roads I sometimes I have t travel down in rural NOCA. It is 8 ply and 1800# rated (102). It is only 70.00. Anyone know anything about this tire?

Springs, shocks and tires is a big bite. A little money has to go a long way here.
Any recommendations are appreciated.
Paul

FD AND FP = 13.5 mid axle to arch
RD AND RP = 14.25

Last edited by pgurnee on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
DontBeAfraid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my oem shocks with the Monroe units, and at $140 otd for all four the price was right. The rears are especially great for carrying heavy loads with minimal droop. The fronts ride has softened noticeably since I installed them about six months ago, so I intend on putting Konis on in front when budget allows. I also replaced my springs with the newest version of syncro.org's 2wd yellow springs at the same time.
My money, too, must go a long way. Thus is why I chose the Monroe's. Pm me for my compiled list of monroe need-to-knows for our vans.
As always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OM EMU shock on my Syncro and like them a lot, I want the same on Carat but they don't make it for 2WD...

so I went for Bilstein HD on my Carat... I feel they are bit soft for my taste...

so now I go for Koni on my Carat #2... according to my search Bilstein HD is about the Koni at medium set up - so I think Koni at Max set up will be about right for me...

edit: tires are 27x8.5R14LT BFG TA KO and 27x8.5R14LT General Grabber AT2 - stock springs

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monroes was to soft for me I went with kyb's.a little stiffer and better in corners.i put o lift gowesty springs on to.called vancafe they gave me a 15% discount to.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Springs and Shocks Reply with quote

pgurnee wrote:
Any recommendation for a, periodically, heavily loaded work truck?

Here's a budget approach...Consider the gabriel adjustables for rear, very wallet-friendly and they really work. Pretty stiff unloaded. Could be interesting with a set of used carat springs . IF you can find them. Maybe 0.5" spacers in the both the rear AND front...$15 DIY cutting board. Then maybe a set of cheap HD shocks for the front or KYB gas?

Tires...hmmm.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weitec (lowering) and Koni reds... a bit stiff but got rid of a lot lean and the front end nose dive.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could keep the KYBs on until funds built backup...
what and why did VC give you a discount?

Dave you have a PM.
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try and find Carat springs. I just posted a WTB ad.
If that fails: 2nd choice will be syncro.org springs.
I will try to keep the KYBs for now. Used springs and keeping the existing shocks will help defray the cost for now.
Purchased Hercules Power C/V 195 75 14 tires off ebay. Just got notice they are out of stock and Uobtanium anymore. My payment was actually returned to my PayPall account already. So the tire search continues.
Paul
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you investigate the possibility of air shocks?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Between tools and dump runs I routinely carry very heavy loads

> Most of the info about shocks is for normally driven vans. Any recommendation for a, periodically, heavily loaded work truck?

> I decided to try and find Carat springs.
> If that fails: 2nd choice will be syncro.org springs.

for heavy loads I suggest you NOT go with short springs. Heavy loads are carried by the springs, not the shocks

for tires I suggest Hankook RA08

since money is an issue, consider some used stock springs, with New shocks

springs don't really wear out, shocks and tires wear out
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Heavy loads are carried by the springs, not the shocks

Yes...
Except where a helper shock is installed as noted in two posts above.
(The other option is the AirLift bag support installed inside the rear spring.)
In which case the helper picks up about 5-20% of the load
For "occasional" heavy loads, these options are the way to go, IMHO.

I've run all three at various times over the last 6(?) yrs..
Air Lift Bag "helper"
Coilover Monroe Sensatrac
and Monroe MaxAir (adjustable helper)

...and prefer the adjustable airshock as made by Monroe or Gabrial.

Adjustability is where its at.
Load up, air up. When you're done hauling, let the air back out and get your nice road manners and handling back.

This is not intended to say you needn't install new springs.. If your springs are done.. they are done. BUT this suggestion is offered towards managing OCCASIONAL loads with old or NEW springs..

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Monroe MaxAir

excellent post, with specific experience based recommendations, as usual Smile

especially helpful when you give purchase links to the correct item that fits the OP's vehicle (will the Monroe MaxAir fit with his current springs?)
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thread (recent) which discusses both the Monroe and Gabrial versions.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560324

I can't speak to whether a specific shock will fit his specific spring and bump-stop.
In the rear the bump-stop inside the spring MUST act as the limiter on compression.. You do NOT want the shock to act as the bumpstop or ugliness will ensue. (Put undo stresses on the shock mounts, possibly breaking them)
Are the bump-stop towers on a lowered vanagon shortened accordingly?
I assume so.. but by how much?

So this depends on whether the OP plans to install new springs (and which models).. or if he keeps his old ones.
Both manufacturer's have fitment guides and we can work out the proper fit model per his suspension range.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous van was an 89 Carat. (may it RIP, taken by flames as I furiously threw a thousand dollars in tools out into the road) I liked the ride and look of the van. It handled the loads I subjected it to better than my present van with the H&Rs.

When I first posted I had not thought of used springs. Tunnel vision I guess. What I have read indicates to me that the GW, VC and syncro.org springs seem to be made for the Westy, which is heavy all the time, and seem to give a ride height of around 17/18". I dont want to go there.

The alignment tech told me the H&Rs were gone. Because I have to replace them my preference is to start with Carat springs: 1 ride height 2 they are a bit stiffer than the H&Rs 3 inexpensive, they will have to be used.

If the Carat springs dont work as hoped I can 1 add spacers for more suspension travel 2 go with the Mon/Gab air shocks 3 go with the syncro.org springs...

AS to bump stops...
I have no clue if the PO of my van did anything to the rear bump stops when he installed these H&Rs. He did not do anything to the front. If my feeble memory serves, I got directions here on how to cut the front stops down. Seems like it had something to do with the dust covers??

I appreciate you guys staying with my post.
Paul

I have the Hankook 185 RA08 now. I got about 40,000 and I am past the wear bars now. They are ok on the road. They are not so good in the wet or on the dirt roads some of my jobs take me down. I chose the Hercules Power C/V and bought them, but the ebay dealer oversold and I have been refunded my money. Tonight I rechose the Nexen SV820

Remembered the other reason I am thinking of the Carat springs. A ride height of 17/18 may not be good to my CV joints. The carat springs will give more travel without increasing the CV angle, I think...

Just got back from a dump run, the van weighs in at 4260 with my everyday tools.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get your Nexen's on, please post feedback on them.

I amseriously considering this tire. Our tire options are dwindling at a rapid pace!

No more Continental Vanco 2 or 8's ......
No more Hankook RA08's.....

I also suspect that the Nexen SV820 is done.
If you go to Nexen's website, this tire is no longer listed plus if you plug in the Vanagon, they haven't a tire that fits.

Maybe in the future a wheel upgrade is called for simply because of the dismal tire supply situation!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in on this topic, I am running some sort of Monroe gasmatic shocks with GoWesty Zero Lift springs. I am at 18” from the center of the rim to the lip of the fender at all four corners. There is no issue with running at this height as this is the stock height from the factory on my 1985 Weekender Westy. I often get asked if my rig is a Syncro, it looks aggressive. Love it.

The Monroes will be replaced with Koni’s over the winter, they are too soft for my tastes.

The Zero Lift Springs are much firmer and controlled than the stock springs were, no more nose dive while braking.

Wheels and tires: 15” Mercedes 8 hole rims with 205/70-15 Yokohama Geolandar tires. They are AWESOME! Quiet on the road with enhanced offroad ability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave I have about 200 miles on them right now. I love them.

It was a bit windy when I drove to the shop to get them mounted. The drive home was much more civilized. I readily admit that the RAO8s were totally worn out but new they were not as good as these.

I had them use 43/53 tire pressures front and back as Jon and Duncan suggested in previous posts. I have always run 45/50. They noted that the door jamb sticker recommends the 43/53.

I bought them from Simple Tire. (tires 347 + sh 81 = 428)

http://simpletire.com/nexen-195-r14lt-10558nxk-tires
Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: