Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bent Push Rod
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Bent Push Rod Reply with quote

I have a type 1 1965 motor. noticed oil under motor and saw bent push rod tube. pulled the head and changed bent push rod. put all back together ran great. next morning, went to start, sounded like it was missing and heard clicking again shortly there after. looked underneath and same pushrod bent, cylinder#1 intake. and suggestions? common?
teuton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck or bent valve?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent or stuck valve?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this when an exhaust valve stuck closed because too tight a clearance in the guide on new exchange heads. That time I replaced the pushrod and just put it back together. Crossed my fingers and it never happened again.
Not sure if a sticking intake valve might cause this. If it's not because it's new, maybe lack of lubrication or lack of lead in our gasoline?
You didn't see any problems with the rocker arms, like loose or missing spring washers?
Something blocked or stopped the rocker or valve from moving. Not common as far as I know in an ACVW.
teuton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it first.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teuton wrote:
I said it first.

I said it differently, was just funnin'
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was too busy editing Laughing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say it but dinner was ready!! I knew someone else would.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

New to Samba. What a great resource. I pulled my head last night, and indeed, Stuck intake in #1. Removed valve, cleaned, scraped carbon off pistons and inside off head and put back together. When I fire it, all pistons firing except #1. Valve is moving freely. I adjusted valves to .006 1-2-3-4 starting from TDC #1 and 180 counterclock on crank. New plugs, difinatley getting spark. (found out the hard way). Just not getting fuel through intake I suppose. Any thoughts?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsteve wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

New to Samba. What a great resource. I pulled my head last night, and indeed, Stuck intake in #1. Removed valve, cleaned, scraped carbon off pistons and inside off head and put back together. When I fire it, all pistons firing except #1. Valve is moving freely. I adjusted valves to .006 1-2-3-4 starting from TDC #1 and 180 counterclock on crank. New plugs, difinatley getting spark. (found out the hard way). Just not getting fuel through intake I suppose. Any thoughts?

That doesn't make sense that #1 isn't getting fuel, it is not fuel injected so any fuel headed to cyl #2 is also going to cyl #1 as well.

Have you done a compression test?
I'd also check out your plug and the wire that feeds it.
Firing order in the cap is correct? 1234 going counter clockwise? (rotor goes clockwise)

compression +
spark +
fuel
(all at the right time)

all 3 equal a running cylinder, you are missing one of these.

You say you have spark, at the distributor or at the #1 plug?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the plug. removed plug, and tested. every once in a while it will pop from exhaust. Im thinking may be #2 not firing either. It has to be cause cylinder is warm. Im Stumped.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsteve wrote:
at the plug. removed plug, and tested. every once in a while it will pop from exhaust. Im thinking may be #2 not firing either. It has to be cause cylinder is warm. Im Stumped.

Make sure # 1 on the cap is actually going to number one and that the rotor installation is correct, it could be off depending upon how the drive gear was installed and what you think is #1 is actually #3 or #4. Take the cap off, rotate the engine by hand until both of the valves for #1 are closed and the piston is at the top of the stroke. Look at the rotor and in relation to the cap is that wire going to plug # 1 ?
Single carb or dual??

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
jsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am positive wires are in correct spot. i double checked timing. even tried a little advance in distributor then backed off to 7.5. at 4500 feet elevation. pulled out NGK plugs and replaced with Bosch Supers gapped .25. could be the plugs? Getting a spark though. Huh!
jsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single Carb.
jsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for our help. I went out fired it up and got on the throttle a bit. seemed to have woken it up. back fired a bit then started running like a champ. Must have had some debris in the valve seat? Thanks again to all.
Ajvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent Push Rod Reply with quote

jsteve wrote:
I have a type 1 1965 motor. noticed oil under motor and saw bent push rod tube. pulled the head and changed bent push rod. put all back together ran great. next morning, went to start, sounded like it was missing and heard clicking again shortly there after. looked underneath and same pushrod bent, cylinder#1 intake. and suggestions? common?

I'm having a similar issue. Valves were all tight, this one isnt moving. Mechanic said it may be stuck and could "wake up" now that they are adjusted, could be rusted. Rust blows out of the tail pipes when it revs. If you pull this spark plug wire, it idles and sounds the same, cylinder is definitely dead. Haven't done compression or leak down.

Sounds like there may be a quicker fix than removing the head, can the valve be worked on individually? Any lubricating additives like Marvel to try? Any help would be great. 1964 Beetle, all original.

This motor has sat for 20+ years, starts just fine, idles pretty smooth considering, has idled and been lightly revved only a few times since I bought it. Strong spark, ignition and timing set perfectly, new 30w oil, new Bosch plugs (confirmed spark), no clacking or abnormal noises, plug is dry and clean. Car is very low on power. Help!
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile With the last situation posted since the engine sat for a LONG time you need to loosen the valves.

Remove the rocker arm and with the piston on the down stroke tap on the valve and spring with a rubber mallet while spraying a little Marvel Mystery Oil on the stem.

Do that on all of the springs and NOT just #1.

As the cam turns it pushes on the push rod that also is trying to open the valve and if the valve is TIGHT...Guess what...push rod will bend and probably drop out of the rocker as it is the weakest point there..

Pull the coil wire and have someone crank over the engine while you are watching from underneath to see if the valve is hanging UP.

Some engines can be fixed this way and I have NO guarantee it will work for you.

VW mechanic (retired)
Ajvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, I will try that.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea As a side note buy a remote starter switch if you are by yourself.

Makes working a lot easier and the switch will come in handy for the VW or just about any car where it can be connected properly.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's called the Band-Aid effect.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: