Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83 Vanagon Gas tank straps do not fit
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mosqutio_control
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: 83 Vanagon Gas tank straps do not fit Reply with quote

Hello, when I bought my 83 Vanagon the rear portions of the gas tank straps (the end that slides into to groover) were wired on to the frame with some mechanics wire (cringe). I attempted to unbolt them and install them properly but they do not seem to fit or line up with the front bolt holes. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a trick to getting these in properly? The gas tank and straps have no noticeable damage or bends so I do not know what is keeping them from fitting. They just seem too short! I've used jack stands and jacks to try to get everything lined up and I always come up short with the bolt holes. Close, but short. Less than 1/2 inch from being able to bolt them down after the rear are in their slots. I guess that's why the previous owner had them wired up! Smile I want to have them properly installed but now I've been scratching my head for hours - and beating myself up contorting under the van. The gas tank is currently sitting on a jack stand under the van until I figure this out. Anything helps!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello back, my ETKA shows the same rail from 80 through 90. So, either something is restricting the tank from going up all the way, something is bent underneath the van or it is a poor fitting aftermarket tank.

I always drain the tank completely before removing. If you want to fix this properly, you will need to drop the tank most likely and verify it is fitting up properly. You might also need some body measurements. Take some pictures and post them up. That may help as well.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a well intended person could have added too much top coat (protectant) to the tank making it tight to the frame.

Were you able to lower the tank down without it hanging up on the way down? Maybe the crossover pipe on tank was not installed above the cooling pipes etc.

(pipes on your bus may not be *exactly* the same as mine but this should shed some light. Arrow points to fuel tank crossover pipe)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mosqutio_control
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to put up some pictures tonight. From what I can tell I can lift the tank flush to the body on all sides with a jack so it seems like the tank fits just where it should. I managed to finally get a front bolt started(after prying it into place with a screwdriver) but as soon as I began tightening it the back slipped out of the slot... I feel like these things shouldn't be such a pain to reinstall, which makes it very frustrating.
nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 80. Had the old tank out a bunch. Got a new one wouldn't fit. Used a jack to push up the strap at the bolt hole. Worked great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: