Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 Double Door Panel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beenjamin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy6 wrote:
After being warned about powered coated wheels I made sure they had been cleaned at the lug holes and torqued and still lost the driver side rear wheel. No major damage done, got some help from Justin at Kombi Hus and back on the road.

What is the problem with powder coated wheel? I've never had them done before but am having set done right now. Just curious to know what I have gotten myself into.
jeremy6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this bus was bought and shipped to Tialand.

So the powder coated wheels. Yes this is a problem I was warned by many bus drivers that all lost that same wheel. Ifs due to when the drum gets hot it heats ups the powder coating and crushes. This allows the lugs to get loose then wheel to come off. I had been re torquing the wheels many time to try and avoid this issue. Good luck! They look sweet and are easy to clean once done.
If I was to do another set I would not powder coat the back mounting surface of the wheels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beenjamin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy6 wrote:
So this bus was bought and shipped to Tialand.

So the powder coated wheels. Yes this is a problem I was warned by many bus drivers that all lost that same wheel. Ifs due to when the drum gets hot it heats ups the powder coating and crushes. This allows the lugs to get loose then wheel to come off. I had been re torquing the wheels many time to try and avoid this issue. Good luck! They look sweet and are easy to clean once done.
If I was to do another set I would not powder coat the back mounting surface of the wheels

I see I see, so it practically melts and breaks down. Before seeing your post today I was think about having my drums ceramic coated to keep them looking nice but I would be worried about heat dissipation, being that ceramics don't allow heat to transfer, or is that not a problem. Sorry i just figured since we were on the subject i would ask.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: