Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To bead blast or not to?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
I have only sandblasted so my opinion is based on that fact. I only sandblast parts of a car that really need it and here's why.

-If the surface is irregular it promotes the re-occurrence of rust. If you polish a piece of metal verses put a irregular finish on it and leave them uncovered the polished piece will resist rusting far longer than the one with the irregular surface. Sandblasting puts on the perfect surface to promote rust.

-If the paint is still good on the body where it is covered up leave it. I have paint on my 72 that is still good and will not show. Why take paint off that has proven to do it's job if it does not show?

So what could happen is you spend time and money taking all of the paint off ,some that does not need to and introduce a higher chance of it rusting. If it's a fender or hood that it's not worth feather edging the bare to a higher old paint transition ,blast the whole part. otherwise just spot blast the areas with rust.

If you use chemical stripper yourself if you feel it is necessary and just have the shop do the actual areas that blasting is superior to ,it will greatly reduce your bill.

But wouldn't that give the stuff something to "grab" on to? It won't stick to polished surfaces too well.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Sandblasting surface is 1000x more porus than it needs to be Reply with quote

A surface only needs to be so rough and then it becomes a negative aspect.

If a coating like zinc based primer is not used directly on the metal , you will have just basically the color of the primer protecting it. The term 'sealing' the surface really does not hold water ,pun intended. Anything that is put directly on metal that does not react chemically is just esthetic and nice to look at. Moisture goes through paint and regular primer like a screen. It makes it's way between molecules or the like. In a non salt environment for example ,regular paint and primer (basic use is just to fill in minor scratches) will stop rust for 3-5 years maybe before rust starts to come through again. There is the saying that once a rust bucket always a rust bucket because hot dipped zinc or electro paint ; i think that modern manufactures use today, can not be applied practically to a used car.

So if you create a irregular surface and then cover it with something that has no rust inhibiting capacity , you were better off leaving the good old paint on if practical. If you look on the web for like Aston martin restorations , you can see where the old body work went bad again in the same place. These people are not driving cars like that in the salt.

I have a jeep with 26 rust belt winters that is on it's third floor and I have used every type of rattle can primer and or sealer just to see if one would work better than the other. ZeroRust ,RustyMetal primer , etching primer ,primer/sealer and high content Zinc primer. The only one that was better than just paint was Zinc. If the Zinc had the slightest imperfection the salt environment would attack that point and get's it's way under it like what is not supposed to happen with hot dipped zinc. All of this was done on clean metal or perfectly sand blasted metal. RustyMetal primer sometimes seams to help if put on top of the perfect amount of rust, can't be too heavy or too light.

Right now if I do a patch panel on it I use 93% zinc first ,then primer/sealer and finally Rustoleum Professional rattle can. Without the primer/sealer ,the zinc was lasting maybe 2 years tops in a salt environment before showing rust. Zinc primer is soft but it absorbs whatever is put on top. We will see if the primer/sealer helps like some people claim.

On my jeep the seam for the rear quarter panels needed a fair amount of filler because I did a fast job on it. Ten years later it is starting to bubble up. I'm positive that I got it down to bare metal and the salt made it's way through the paint , the primer and the filler.

If it does not have a chemical property to stop rust ,do not put it directly on bare metal. Wink

Last edited by theKbStockpiler on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting surface is 1000x more porus than it needs t Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
A surface only needs to be so rough and then it becomes a negative aspect.

If a coating like zinc based primer is not used directly on the metal , you will have just basically the color of the primer protecting it. The term 'sealing' the surface really does not hold water ,pun intended. Anything that is put directly on metal that does not react chemically is just esthetic and nice to look at. Moisture goes through paint and regular primer like a screen. It makes it's way between molecules or the like. In a non salt environment for example ,regular paint and primer (basic use is just to fill in minor scratches) will stop rust for 3-5 years maybe before rust starts to come through again. There is the saying that once a rust bucket always a rust bucket because hot dipped zinc or electro paint ; i think that modern manufactures use today, can not be applied practically to a used car.

So if you create a irregular surface and then cover it with something that has no rust inhibiting capacity , you were better off leaving the good old paint on if practical. If you look on the web for like Aston martin restorations , you can see where the old body work went bad again in the same place. These people are not driving cars like that in the salt.

I have a jeep with 26 rust belt winters that is on it's third floor and I have used every type of rattle can primer and or sealer just to see if one would work better than the other. ZeroRust ,RustyMetal primer , etching primer ,primer/sealer and high content Zinc primer. The only one that was better than just paint was Zinc. If the Zinc had the slightest imperfection the salt environment would attack that point and get's it's way under it like what is not supposed to happen with hot dipped zinc. All of this was done on clean metal or perfectly sand blasted metal. RustyMetal primer sometimes seams to help if put on top of the perfect amount of rust, can't be too heavy or too light.

Right now if do a patch panel on it I use 93% zinc first ,then primer/sealer and finally Rustoleum Professional rattle can. Without the primer/sealer ,the zinc was lasting maybe 2 years tops in a salt environment before showing rust. Zinc primer is soft but it absorbs whatever is put on top. We will see if the primer/sealer helps like some people claim.

On my jeep the seam for the rear quarter panels needed a fair amount of filler because I did a fast job on it. Ten years later it is starting to bubble up. I'm positive that I got it down to bare metal and the salt made it's way through the paint , the primer and the filler.

If it does not have a chemical property to stop rust ,do not put it directly on bare metal. Wink

There are some correct points to what you are saying.

The problem is ...porosity. There are indeed coatings and paints that will prevent rust without having actual rust neutralization chemicals in them. And...neutralization is the key word here.
There is no such item as a "rust prevention" chemical. Its not like you can inoculate against a disease.

The problem is proper encapsulation with any of these products. You need to remove all old rust mechanically.....then chemically....then use acetone or a similar low flash point degreaser that is co-solvent with water....to absorb any moisture and you have to coat in a very low humidity environment...an you need to absolutely coat to a level where you KNOW there are no open holes or pores created by the application spraying.

If there is too much humidity in the work space....you trap that between metal and coating...voila...rust.
Many of the better epoxy coatings are cross linked with their catalyst and will be an actual vapor barrier. They will not leak through their molecules.....but...are you sure you did not trap moisture...and are you sure you have no voids or holes from poor spraying.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to sand blast it yourself. Many equipment rental companies rent towable 100CFM air compressors, 100# sand pots and air fed hoods. You could probably blast it yourself for 1/2 the cost of having it done.

Yes, it makes a MAJOR mess. Yes, you have to have the right media to NOT warp the crap out of the panels. Do some research about medias or call a supplier and they can recommend one.

FYI- Even pro sand blasters warp panels. I had my 69 vert body sand blasted after all the welding was done. They had been around for YEARS. They warped the crap out of many panels. I was SSOO pissed off. They also did a very poor job of blowing all the sand out of the shell before giving it back to me.

It is shocking how expensive it is these days to get a car painted. I remember the Earl Scheib car repaint adds for the 70's. "I'll paint any car for $99.99!"
After doing all the body work, priming, sanding, sanding some more, priming again, sanding some more and then finally painting my 67 bug in my garage, I can see WHY it cost so much these days. I had over 100 hours easy doing all the work and the car had no rust and only minor dents.. I also had over $1500 in just material though I used only PPG products.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another option is to sand blast it yourself. Many equipment rental companies rent towable 100CFM air compressors, 100# sand pots and air fed hoods. You could probably blast it yourself for 1/2 the cost of having it done.

Yeah, I have checked with Sunbelt. They want $730 for a one day rental and that does not include the media. Cheaper yes but definitely not worth the time. I agree the prof way is worth it, I just can't get past that feeling that I was just stabbed. I'm sure I'll go that way... I'll just hate writing that check.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:
Does the warping of the panels come from HEAT or PRESSURE while sandblasting?

The reason I ask is I believe it's the heat that warps the panels.
From my theory, the glass beads don't heat the surface up as much and the water actually keeps it cool....hence a better job IMO.

W O W very good points brought up. Going with the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) theory are very good and still hold weight in today's society
I used the POR 15 on the chassis and that shi! Is hard as a brick. I used the degreaser, acid etcher, and finally the epoxy.
I was VERY impressed with how rock hard it got and the "self leveling" paint really freaking worked!!!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I have checked with Sunbelt. They want $730 for a one day rental and that does not include the media. Cheaper yes but definitely not worth the time. I agree the prof way is worth it, I just can't get past that feeling that I was just stabbed. I'm sure I'll go that way... I'll just hate writing that check.

Those prices seem ridiculous. You might check prices w/a couple of other rental yards. Usually 185 CFM compressors are like $100 a day. Sand pot $50 and air hood $40. I'm not sure what Sunbelt was smoking when they quoted those prices..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
Question:
Does the warping of the panels come from HEAT or PRESSURE while sandblasting? The reason I ask is I believe it's the heat that warps the panels.

I am under the impression that it is neither!
The media under high velocity is peening the surface of the sheet metal and effecting the metal in a similar fashion as a planishing hammer . . . stretching the panel. That's why your blaster has to keep moving . . . once the protective layer of paint is gone from the surface and the metal is exposed . . .
As has already been suggested, good way to do it would be to use Aircraft Remover on large, open panels and have the blaster take care of the nooks and crannies.

'67 Sunroof wrote:
. . . the glass beads don't heat the surface up as much and the water actually keeps it cool....hence a better job IMO.

I was wondering from the start . . . are you talking glass BEADS or is it actually crushed glass?
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is tiny glass beads and water.
I was under the impression that with the glass beads and water it would not warp the metal as much because there is much less heat. Then someone told me it wasn't the heat but the pressure on the metal that warps it. Maybe even the combination of the two...?
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only taken cars down to bare metal when necessary - usually to resolve bondo, dents, or poorly previously painted panels. Everything else I do is mechanical sanding with a DA or palm sander down to original finish paint - Everything Skills said is true - it's a super sucky job, at least 40 hours of solid work and general dusty shittyness - I did the entire exterior and interior of a bus - that was probably closer to 100 hundred hours of shittyness. I've only done 4 vehicles over 10 years. I could never do that crap day in and day out.

I've also tried my hand at sand blasting in my garage 10 years ago- big rookie mistake - little 40lb sandblaster and a bag of media - despite hanging tarps and isolating my work area, I am still sweeping up the media from the nooks and crannies of my garage. I also did not think it was significantly quicker than sanding by DA.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
jpjohns wrote:
Quote:

Those prices seem ridiculous. You might check prices w/a couple of other rental yards. Usually 185 CFM compressors are like $100 a day. Sand pot $50 and air hood $40. I'm not sure what Sunbelt was smoking when they quoted those prices..

It was a dustless system they had on a trailer. 375cfm I think. It was the only thing they had.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what you guys said as you have WAAY more experience than I will or will ever have. I'm going to take the gamble and have him do it anyway. I appreciate you looking out.
He is supposed to come pick it up on Wednesday. He will take it back to his shop and put it on his rotisserie. From there he will do the inside, door jams, doors, and everything else.
POR15 (Eastwood) has this acid etcher that has zinc in it that they sell. I've used it on other stuff and it really puts a funky rusty coating of zinc on the prepped metal. I wonder if I should wipe it all down with acetone then spray the shit out of everything with that, then hose it off and then spray the etching primer on it after that.
I'm going to look into it.
Again, I appreciate it and appreciate you looking out and trying to save me money.
Money, I have and time I do not at this point. We'll see.
This pic is for the '67 crew:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Haha, I'm a nomad. I'm doing the "euro '67" look. I always liked the older style headlights. I do agree that the apron doesn't seem to "flow" as well with the older style fenders. But the bumpers will probably hide a lot of that.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the Pros here seem to like/use the acid etch. They go straight with epoxy on clean bare metal etc and have good results. It's us novices, who try and make it more complicated than necessary. Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, been reading up and the SPI epoxy primer looks to be pretty good. What do you all think about it?
The cost doesn't appear to be bad at all. My painter said the epoxy primer was gonna kill me cost-wise and he recommended I stick with the Nason 441-55 Activator-Reducer etching primer. He said he has had very good luck with the stuff but was very open and said if I wanted to spend the $$$ he would be glad to spray whatever I wanted!!
So, did I make a wise choice?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best advice I can give you is this

-you are stripping the body to bare steel

-you want to do a good job

-you want it to last

nason is very entry level stuff. that said, I would spend the money on a good product now.

I don't know what your goals are. if you plan to own this car for more than a few years, cry once and spend the money on good stuff.

you get what you pay for....and that is very true with paint. I was using DuPont's upper end stuff for years and found nason to be less than stellar. that is the shit used car dealers use imho....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you recommend the SPI a proxy primer to start then? Is it pretty good stuff?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: