Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel sending unit question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: fuel sending unit question Reply with quote

I figured I would have a better chance of finding someone who has dealt with these sending units before even though it came out of my 61 fuel tank. I have seen these advertised before but I know very little about it.

Here is the sending unit
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks to be a wire use to be attached to here I am not sure if this is something I can fix or not.

Here are a few questions I have.

1. Is there a way to test this unit?
2. I am pretty sure a wire was attached to the end, is there a way to repair this?
3. are these six volt only?

I tried the search feature but my combination of words did not amount to anything. Thanks

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test . . . use an OHM meter to measure the resistance . . . between the sender wire and where the unit grounds to the tank . . . the resistance should have a lineal/continuous change as you move the float arm.

6 volt or 12 volt . . . the sender does not care . . . it only changes the resistance in the wire . . . your fuel level gauge measures the resistance and displays the information as "full" or "empty" or in between.

As for repairing the broken wire . . . do the test first. If the rheostat in the unit is bad, don't waste your time trying to replace the wire!
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will have to try that. Unfortunately I meant to grab it before I left the shop today, It will be next week before I can grab it. That and I will need to borrow a meter from a buddy Very Happy

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind . . . The range of ohms of the sender needs to match that of the fuel gauge . . .

BTW, your project looks AWESOME!!!! Very nice work!!!
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Something to keep in mind . . . The range of ohms of the sender needs to match that of the fuel gauge . . .

BTW, your project looks AWESOME!!!! Very nice work!!!

Thanks for checking my build thread out!

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been a couple of weeks, I kept forgetting to bring the sending unit home. So I touched the red probe from the meter to the little section of wire that was left and my black probe to the part that bolts on to the tank, I set my meter to the lowest setting 200 and moved the float back and forth. I got nothing. Just to make sure I went through all the other setting and still I got no reading at all. So it seems that the sending unit is bad. My next question is can these units be rebuilt ?

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find some thing interesting I knocked off the brown crud with my wire wheel and stamped into it is these numbers
VDO 31 2
and below that is
10 60

I am guessing the second set of numbers is the month and year.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: