Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jan/Feb '56 Oval Restoration.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
So what's a car like that worth these days? If ya don't mind my asking....

Couple of hundreds. A decent seller would give it away. I would. Any value that is going to materialize in this car is going to be a result of work put into it.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the score... and I'm not trying to bash your score at all... but... I'm hoping you have mountains of patience that coincide with copious knowledge of metal self-fabrication skills & the fiscal means to hold its hand all the while waiting for a life back on the road...
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made most of those repairs on my 56 which is still sitting as a shell in the garage waiting its turn in the queue. I'm in Portland. Feel free to get in touch if you'd like me to look at it, though it seems you've got a realistic idea of what it will take to get that turd back on the road again.
First stop is the media blaster, and you'll want to borrow a rotisserie or do it backwoods style and simply roll it over onto a pile of old tires.
Basket cases can be expensive to restore, but if you want a really nice car, a lot of the parts you'd have on a complete car would need replacement anyway.

Way to save one!
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
So what's a car like that worth these days? If ya don't mind my asking....

Couple of hundreds. A decent seller would give it away. I would. Any value that is going to materialize in this car is going to be a result of work put into it.

I know what it's worth. I was more curious as to how much the OP paid for it. If he doesn't mind my asking....
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great score ! Applause

I would have bought that car is a second. Most of the car looks solid and the rest can be cut out and replaced.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Arron! Around here it's hard to find solid late models and supers. To find a '56 this solid was a no brainer. I bought it for $300, and I still have boxes of parts I'm promised and will be going to pick up here shortly. I thought it was a good deal. Certainly a good deal for a '56 in 2011.
igtoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky guy..

Why I this aint happen w/ me?!?!?!?!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Looking forward to the build.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I'd like to stop by for a quick update! No pictures this time around, unfortunately, but I thought it would be a good idea to let everybody know what the game plan is.

So right not much has changed from the pictures. It's a late Jan/early feb Polar silver oval. Interior looks to have been the dark green leatherette. I like the combo but cant find hardly anything with a similar set up. Red or beige seem to be the most popular. Heater channels are pretty solid, I'll just be replacing the bottoms and a little of the rear where it meets the body.

It looks to have been hit in the front which probably knocked it off the road many years ago. It has bent the beam but I have a replacement ready to go for it. I plan to straighten the front as best as I can, I'm trying for no metal replacement besides the front apron. I have a four tab hood for a 58-59 Beetle, but think I have a source for a correct pressing '56 hood. Fenders are a pain in the ass to find and I think I'll throw those on the backburner for now.

So for now... What is the best way to separate this body from the chassis while keeping the bolts from breaking? I've been soaking them in PB for weeks now with little success. How much heat can be applied before I have an opportunity to harm the surrounding metal?
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update.

While of the large expensive things are being waited on, I've been assembling and painting a lot of the small bits and pieces and getting the engine together. I have most of the little things getting ready for paint while I get the last few things. The last things I need to find are a four tab hood that's correct, both front fenders, and one rear. Bumpers too. I have engine case that is a 137****, which is around 3000 numbers off what it would have had. I also acquired a complete July Beetle engine which is sacrificing all of the correct engine pieces (Tin, carb, generator ect) for the March stamped case I have. I have some of the interior together as well, but need one seat and the rear seat as well.

I'm still collecting pieces to complete it, but have a lot of the hard stuff out of the way. Everything I've gotten for it is near correct for it down to the month. I'm hoping to have the rest of the metal I need in the coming months and metal work to be done before the year is over.

One fun thing I've recently done is found a box of old Time magazines from the late 50's and early 60's. They're the large 11x14 magazines so I carefully removed the old Vw ads and am trying to get them all framed and protected.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Better pictures of the oval will be updated soon I'm sure.

Last edited by Nirvana09 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember collecting ads like that wherever I could find them when I was in High School. I raided everybody's old magazines looking for them.

It looks like your pictures from 2011 don't show up anymore - except for the very first ones.

I'd love to see how your oval is coming together!

Thanks for bringing it back to life. It's a noble cause!

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome to see an update on this one. glad to hear things are coming on well.

but, we need pics! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be getting pictures soon, but the car is north of me at my garage, I have the parts with me getting prepped.

Two quick questions:

Does anybody have the Steel Grey paint code that would have been the outer color of the rim color? I did a quick search and nothing immediately came up.

Does anybody have a good method of getting the green plastic sun visors apart? The metal post on both has had the chrome flaking off and the visors themselves will not move. I would like to remove them to fix the post, but would also like to replicate the look of the method they used to attach them. It looks like a rivet of some sort but both sides are rounded. Does anybody know a good way to replicate that look?

henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone who works on aircraft sheetmetal should be able to sort you out.

you can get rivets here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/solidalumrivets2.php

but a pound of rivets might be a bit excessive. Laughing
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sides of the visor have identical looking ends. They both have rounded heads to them. I'm only familial with run-of-the-mill rivets and handheld rivet punchers, is there a more sophisticated tool to give both sides that rounded look?

I guess I'll talk to some aircraft buddies I have to see if they can point me in the right direction.

Any word on the Steel Grey code?
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirvana09 wrote:
Both sides of the visor have identical looking ends. They both have rounded heads to them. I'm only familial with run-of-the-mill rivets and handheld rivet punchers, is there a more sophisticated tool to give both sides that rounded look?

I guess I'll talk to some aircraft buddies I have to see if they can point me in the right direction.

Any word on the Steel Grey code?

The VW color code for the steel gray color outer rim of the road wheels used on the 1956-1957 Polar Silver cars is L328. A paint shop that sells Glasurit should be able to source this color code, but knowing the cost for Glasurit paint, it won't be cheap..........

The steel gray finish should be pretty easy to duplicate in any paint system other than Glasurit, if you have a good idea as to what L328 steel gray looks like. I will see if I can shoot a close-up photo of one of the road wheels on my car, and you can hopefully take it from there. A good paint supplier can easily match the color from probably any automotive paint manufacturer.

This link to Wolfsburg West will provide you with some additional color code information for the Polar Silver cars:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/56l324.html

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L328, Perfect! After a bit of searching I found an article that says this is the same L328 that was used on standards in the 60's, I'd say it looks very similar to the color that is seen on your rims. I never saw the code on Wolfsburg because my car is from Jan/Feb and like a dummy never thought to check the code on the post-april Polar Silver.

I'd say close, no?

The new paint looks metallic but I'm sure that can be changed when I have this mixed. Thanks for pointing me on the right track!
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirvana09 wrote:
L328, Perfect! After a bit of searching I found an article that says this is the same L328 that was used on standards in the 60's, I'd say it looks very similar to the color that is seen on your rims. I never saw the code on Wolfsburg because my car is from Jan/Feb and like a dummy never thought to check the code on the post-april Polar Silver.

I'd say close, no?

The new paint looks metallic but I'm sure that can be changed when I have this mixed. Thanks for pointing me on the right track!

Unfortunately, I would say definitely no on the color of these parts, compared to the rims on my car. The color of these sample parts is way off by comparison.

If I am not mistaken, VW may have also used the name "steel gray" for another color they used in the 1960s: when the bumper mounting brackets went from black to that silver color (in 1961, I think), I believe that color was also referred to as steel gray. This other steel gray I am referring to has it's own unique VW color code; it is not L328, and I think the parts in the photos you provided are of this later steel gray color.

Or perhaps the reference to L328 Steel Gray made in the Wolfsburg West color code charts (for the L324 Polar Silver finish) is incorrect! This is very possible.

I think you will have to match-up the correct color outer rim paint by taking either an actual sample of it (from a 1956-1957 wheel rim from a Polar Silver color car, probably easier said than done) to an automotive paint supplier, or provide them with a high quality photo of the L328 color. I'll see if I can shoot a photo of one of the road wheels on my car shortly, and hopefully that will get you in the right direction.

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
Nirvana09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on this forum people reference the 60's steel grey as L328 as well. After a bit more research and a few more, better, paint references I do agree with you, it does look off.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563289

Now, this color was also used on early Ghia's as well. In that thread it does say it is L328 but it's metallic. Does anybody know the difference between the metallic L328 and the L328 used on Bruce's car? There's obviously a difference but with nearly no documentation on either color.

Another thing, does anybody have a pre-april Polar silver beetle that can offer insight on the outer rim color? After hours of looking into this, all I can find is the post-april information. Does anybody know if there was any difference in the early polar silver cars?
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nirvana09,

I just posted a photo of the road wheel outer rim color for the 1956-1957 Polar Silver color (L324) cars under the Oval Window forum topic, "My 1957 VW with 13,000 Miles".

Hopefully, this will give you a good idea as to the color VW used there.

Do you think I should start a new thread on this subject? It might make it easier for others to retrieve this information in the future.

I have also posted (in the same topic) a photo of the running board rubber mat covering from my car, as others have requested an image of that as well.

I hope these photos help in the correct restoration of their cars.

Bruce
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: