Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need to know how long my cars are!
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alltypesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: I need to know how long my cars are! Reply with quote

I have two cars in storage because I can't have them where I live and my parents don't want them in their garage. I had just my 1988 Jetta GLI 16v in one starage locker but my dad just moved my 1990 Corrado G60 into another locker. I think I can arrange the cars into one of the lockers 1 is 10'x 20' (I don't think they could both fit but the other one is 10' x 30' and I think that both may fit. Even if ramps to absorb a bit of length. Is this good thinking. It would take quite a bit of moving things around. I could put the cars on angles. I am just trying to keep both cars. I know I will need to fully rebuild both when I get back to driving but I really would like to keep them. I am disabled and lost my drivers license after I was in a coma for 64 days. I will be able to drive again soon. and hope to take automotive restoration classes in the future. I just need to know the external dimensions of my cars and am having trouble finding that. I could measure them both end to end but that would just eat time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a dedicated soul. I wish I still had some of my cars "parked in memory."

The Jetta should be 170.1 inches long and the Corrado should be 159.4 inches long. That sums up to being 27 feet 5.5 inches long, theoretically giving you 30.5 inches to spare.

Make sure the storage unit is a genuine 10x30 and not some rounded-up figure. Make sure there aren't any intrusions like pipes or girders impeding the true 30-foot length of said storage. Make sure the door(s) of the storage don't require some interior space to open or close.

I would also check to see if you have insurance coverage that covers your cars, and would cover others (like the lessor of the place and other storage renters, if applicable). A homeowners rider may be a cheap way to go until your cars are ready to be registered, but each situation is unique and so are what insurance companies offer. Even some storage facilities offer insurance.

I realize your cars will need to be fully rebuilt, but I would check into the correct methodology for long term storage of vehicles. No sense in creating more work for yourself once you get to them because of incorrect storage procedures.
alltypesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is great information!
Unfortunately I only have the two left. before my accident I had 13 cars, most didn't run but I was working to make all of them run and be beautiful. 12 were Volkswagen, many were air-cooled I was building two air-cooled engines, but these two were the most recent drivers. I wish I still had my 75 Westy that I lived in one summer before taking it off the road. The one that wasn't Volkswagen was a GMC jimmy to tow a few around easily that I had bought it as a work truck . I miss my cars and projects but there is still time so I hope to get back to my crazy hobbies.

I hope to use the still new with packaging 50 gallon air compressor and still in boxes air tools.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: