Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 1800 Pistons
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: 914 1800 Pistons Reply with quote

Were these pistons dished or flat?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off memory....not close to my books.
In the USA....for sure there was at least one series of 1.8L and they were all L-jet injected. That was EC case and had 7.3:1 compression and a slight dish in the pistons. I am pretty sure it was the exact same piston as the 1974 VW 412 with L-jet.

In the UK....the AN case # series was 8.6:1 compression with twin carbs on both the 914 and the 412 models. I believe that series had a slight domed piston.

There was another VW 412 series engine in the UK that used flat top pistons and had 7.8:1 compression.....the BRC series. I dont know if this was ever used in the 914....but it would drop right in. It also used twin carbs.

With US spec of 914 any of these pistons could be used. Because L-jet from the factory settings was slightly lean....I would tweak it a little to use 8.6:1 with it.
I eont know if the AN series was used in the US with L-jet.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have the EC, and my pistons are slightly dished. Any idea how many cc the dish is?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again....going off memory....but the depth I think is, the same as the dished 1.7 piston. That piston is about 7.5-9cc. I think the 1.8 being slightly larger in diameter has about 9-10cc. Best way is a piece of plexiglass and a, syringe to cc it.

An alternate guestimate would, be.....knowing what the stock compression of a US 1.8 with dished pistons is supposed to be.....if you have the head cc and have the head off to measure deck....you can calculate compression as a flat top piston and then start adding cc's to the equation until have the correct listed compression. The qmount you add will bectu3 dish volume. Ray

Edit: bear in mind that all of these engines had a factory hear gasket whose crushed thickness added .026-.028" to the deck. All of them also had a gasket at the cylinder of about .003 after crush and a shim of about .005" or .010".

With this stack up.....most domed 1.7l from the factory had a deck measured at piston edge of about .075-.079". Most 1.8s have a similar deck of about the same.

Remove the head gasket and base shim and your deck is just about .040".
Typically on a 1.7 this bumps compression from 8.2:1 to about 8.5:1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information Ray! I appreciate it.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, how much different are they from 1800 bus pistons?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much different are they from 1800 bus pistons?

I believe they are the same. The type 2/4 1.8l in my books and also in "Without guesswork" for types 1,2, 3, 4.....list the same, compression....7.3:1.....and since the head part # is the same on type 2, type 4 and 914 1.8l....and the combustion chamber and crank and rods are the same part #s.....I can only conclude that the piston dish size is the same.
I know California cars had even lower compression so there were some piztons out there with a deeper dish like 10-12cc. Dont quote me on the deeper dish. I may be mixing up 2.0 stuff here.
But it should be the same piston. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: