Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

D Regulator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: D Regulator Reply with quote

Anybody in here re-build six volt D regulators? I understand it can be done, but I don't have the knowledge to do it. Sad
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not exactly close to you, but these guys would do it. Rebuilt my original generator and it works great.

http://www.aersltd.com/en/
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick rebuilt my regulator and generator and they look like new. He is also very helpful with date codes. Here is one of his ads:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1312015
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
Rick rebuilt my regulator and generator and they look like new. He is also very helpful with date codes. Here is one of his ads:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1312015

Thanks! Does he only do solid state re-builds?
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original regulator contacts (the vibrating contacts that eventually wear to nothing) are not available anywhere that I am aware of, and believe me I looked. There is some detail on which contact this is and how to inspect them in the Zarwerks Spy Cam thread.

If you find a shop the "rebuilds" them, make sure you ask what they do and how they replace worn contacts. 90+% of the dead ones I have had may hands on have worn-to-nothing contacts. It is kind of sad because the regulator was designed to have this contact/reed replaced with removal of a single screw.

Likewise, if you considering purchasing a "worked when taken out" regulator, make sure you inspect this contact, and do the resistance checks mentioned in the Spy Cam thread. I see dead regs selling for $250 and up now....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - Have yoou tried RickC?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1315

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
Bob - Have yoou tried RickC?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1315

Loren suggested him as well...........I was concerned if he could re-bulid it "stock" of if he converted them over to solid state.
I'll call him when I get back into town.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick "outsources" the rebuilds and they are solid state conversions.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Rick "outsources" the rebuilds and they are solid state conversions.

This is the way I thought I had to go. Sad
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I had a D regulator where the contact points were renewed. So maybe there are those somewhere? Or other way is to start make them... Smile
New projects
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Bob.

Quote:
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The D Regulator was by far the hardest thing for me to find for my Split ... I finally found one at the Vintage Treffen (a core unit I was told for 40.00)... I actually spoke to the gent you referenced John who retro-fits them with new hardware (chips)... but 275.00 seemed a little out of whack.

I did a quick search and found a Master Rebuilder of Generators and Voltage Regulators.....

http://www.acewichita.com/index.html

Guys name is Glenn Cheaney.. and frankly he is amazing..I sent him my 6/52 Generator and my new acquired "core" Voltage Regulator.. and he rebuilt them both!! Part of the service is to perform all the balancing between the Reg and Gen... which he does with original 60's rebuilding machinery... Took about 10 days and I had it back!!

http://www.acewichita.com/06_vintage.htm

I know.. this should be in the buyer and seller feedback.. but I think in many instances rebuilding a Regulator will work.

He rebuilt my Regulator and Generator for 275.00.... and frankly, my lights are brighter than I have ever seen on a bug.... Generator runs barely warm to the touch. I chose to have him NOT re-plate my gen. case and parts, just bead blast them as I didnt want a shiny generator standing out on my "survivor" style engine. However, this service IS included in his rebuild package..

I would personally prefer a real regulator than a chipped one.... but I can tell you this.... if John had 100.00 chipped regulators available when I was looking.. I would have bought one!!

I didnt even know you COULD rebuild regulators.. the guys at my local Gen. shop laughed at me when I asked.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271780

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
Here you go Bob.

Quote:
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The D Regulator was by far the hardest thing for me to find for my Split ... I finally found one at the Vintage Treffen (a core unit I was told for 40.00)... I actually spoke to the gent you referenced John who retro-fits them with new hardware (chips)... but 275.00 seemed a little out of whack.

I did a quick search and found a Master Rebuilder of Generators and Voltage Regulators.....

http://www.acewichita.com/index.html

Guys name is Glenn Cheaney.. and frankly he is amazing..I sent him my 6/52 Generator and my new acquired "core" Voltage Regulator.. and he rebuilt them both!! Part of the service is to perform all the balancing between the Reg and Gen... which he does with original 60's rebuilding machinery... Took about 10 days and I had it back!!

http://www.acewichita.com/06_vintage.htm

I know.. this should be in the buyer and seller feedback.. but I think in many instances rebuilding a Regulator will work.

He rebuilt my Regulator and Generator for 275.00.... and frankly, my lights are brighter than I have ever seen on a bug.... Generator runs barely warm to the touch. I chose to have him NOT re-plate my gen. case and parts, just bead blast them as I didnt want a shiny generator standing out on my "survivor" style engine. However, this service IS included in his rebuild package..

I would personally prefer a real regulator than a chipped one.... but I can tell you this.... if John had 100.00 chipped regulators available when I was looking.. I would have bought one!!

I didnt even know you COULD rebuild regulators.. the guys at my local Gen. shop laughed at me when I asked.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271780

Thanks Kurt................still chipped, but I guess that's it, unless any of you guys have a good extra one you want to sell.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I contacted Glenn @ Ace in 2013 to have a thin slot rebuilt - he stated he no longer works on Bosch. He referred me to Dan Smith @ DPS in Ashby, MA who rebuilt my thin slot. I believe he does VRs (since I run a later square, didn't need a VR done), you can check with him.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check with him. My generator is great................it's a just a slave to the burned up regulator. I can re-build the generator. I really need a new regulator. Sad
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is correct. Glenn Cheaney no longer does any VW or Porsche stuff as he said its just "far too boring" and that he can make more money on the older Detroit stuff.. He is also out of the store of original parts he had stashed and so he isn't offering those services.. Now.. if you have like a 35 Packard one you want rebuilt... I bet he can help.

He cursed me for putting his name in these forums as he was innundated with work for a couple of years... one person sent him like 8 D regulators!! He is semi retired, and I'm happy to say I got his last Porsche work... a beautiful quality 912 12V he is making for me.

Great guy, Amazing stories, You could spend hours talking to the guy.... One of those quality workman we just don't see as often anymore. Sad

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Thanks, I'll check with him. My generator is great................it's a just a slave to the burned up regulator. I can re-build the generator. I really need a new regulator. Sad

If you find Dan Smith does those, and especially has reg parts, let me know. Ashby is about 45 mins from me, would be worth the drive out to chat.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: