Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IPhone 6
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Hey, I'm still using a flip phone too. I don't need to be connected to the world 24/7. I just want a phone that can make and receive calls, and that's small and easy to carry. I have an ipad for all that other stuff.

I was reading through this hilarious thread just waiting to see if there was a fellow Luddite in here.

I have no interest in a smart phone. I have a dumb phone, and it is perfect. I make a phone call, then I shut it off. Done. I have a computer at home for the rest of my communication needs.

You are not the only one, I love my flip phone, I can drop it, sit on it, leave it in the sun, whatever and it still does everything I need, I wouldn't know what to do with a text if I got one and I like it that way. The internet already ate up enough of my free time, if I started dropping everything to read and reply every time that thing went ding I would have to cut out some of the priority stuff like sleep or beer drinking, not enough hours in my day for that Razz

I tried an HTC Inspire around 2010 after damaging my Nokia 5100. That thing was nothing but a headache. Problems included, but were not limited to: reception, connectivity, apps spawning after being shut down, and horrid battery life. The worst part is the touch screens are heat sensitive, so in the winter I couldn't operate it because my fingers don't generate enough heat. The Nokia could go 10 days before recharging that HTC (turd) couldn't even go 6 hours. I took it back after 7 months and the service clerk asked if I had applied a certain update. I vaguely remembered the phone popped up at an inopportune time asking to install an update and I ignored it thinking it would be like every other device and remind me later. It didn't, so he initiated the update which took about 10 minutes. After that, the damned thing decided it would not allow me to send texts to certain people in my address book, connectivity became worse as did task spawning. It pissed so bad that I slammed it on my desk and cracked the screen. Getting raped on data usage didn't bode well for it either.

So, I broke my contract (no penalty as I've been with AT&T for 15+ years) and bought an unlocked Nokia C3. All I use it for is talking and texting. I switched to an unlimited talk and text plan for $40/month but don't use it for data. Screw paying for data. That's the bread and butter for US cell phone companies.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the world's cheapest smart phone and I'm always one step ahead of everyone else. Have a look at my signature.

When a new iPhone is introduced I just go to my Samba profile and add one to my iPhone (Beta) device...impressive huh?

Never felt the need to be constantly in touch with the world...I like my own space and company when I'm out of the house. I have a dumb pay as you go phone for the rare occasion I need to speak to someone when I'm out. For vacations I take my eMachines 10" notebook and with almost universal free wifi I can check and keep on top of my emails by signing in every couple of days.

Throw out your smart phones...you know it's the smart thing to do. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the iPhone 6+ did indeed arrive last Friday.
We've had it for a week plus now.......

We activated it as my wife's phone (I've NO desire to carry something that big around!) and she is more than pleased.

It is becoming her iPad Mini Mini.
I took her old 5 as an upgrade to my 4s.
The 4s was wiped clean and repurposed as a very large iPod for music. All music, for Bluetooth portable music, thus freeing up useful space on our iPhones/iPads
I crammed 48gigs of music onto that device.

Everything is now running ios8.02 and we've each established our own iCloud identity linking our various devices.

Yep, all is happy here and we haven't even bent our 6+ yet! (Don’t think we will either).

Dave

Ok, back to our regularily scheduled hater (Smart Phone, Cell Phone, Apple) show!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
I get the funniest reactions when I tell people I've never owned a cell phone of any kind.
Most of them say things along the lines of "Bravo. Good for you. I wish I could be like you" etc.
To me it's not about taking a stand against technology or making some sort of ethical/moral statement. It's simply just another electronic device I chose not to purchase.
Other people say things like "OMG, how do you survive? I would be totally lost without my phone" etc.
I just shrug my shoulders and feel sorry for them.

FWIW my iPod Touch 2nd Gen takes care of all my mobile computing needs and the battery only needs charging every couple of weeks or so. My rotary phone never needs charging, has great audio quality and never gets any more redundant than it already is. Wink

Also an Apple user since the Apple II. Every few years I find myself in a job where the office works in a Windows environment. The loss of productivity is astounding.

We have family members well into their 80s and we are spread out all over the US so we think its a good Idea to be available within a moments notice. Even at work I am hard to locate and missed an emergency call, it was my Dad calling to tell me my mother had passed away suddenly. At that moments I vowed never to be out of touch again.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were eating dinner, my iphone is in the living room where it spends its time while home and my iPad was on the countertop.

Suddenly my iPad started ringing!!! What the Heck?!?!

Turns out with ios8 you can make and recieve phone calls on the iPad!

Who knew?

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple does not....as mentioned. ..make products that are inherently innovative. They are like BASF.....they try to make them idiot proof and smoother for a client base that is actually a bit less technical. Nice products and interfaces.

However....I dont like their phones because some of the tunability and general bullet proof ness of the Android phones is missing.
Also....the even though almost all smart phones are actually terrible as actual functional phones compared to something like even a flip phone....almost all of the I phones have even worse connectivity.

None of that really matters. The real reason I wont buy apple products is because I dont like the way they do business. I have done virtually direct business with them because I worked within a consortion of several companies over the last 3 years that produced the print technology and equipment that produces the glass for the I-5 and probably i6 by now. That equipment went to China. In the 2+ year process of this...the big fruit pretty much F'd everyone involved because they could.
The principal companies involved largely have no desire to do business with the big A anymore.
Ray
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
they try to make them idiot proof and smoother for a client base that is actually a bit less technical.

Yes, that's why 90% of the developers of all the websites you use daily use Apple gear. Because the developers are less technical. Rolling Eyes

No, the reason is that they produce extremely high quality devices (phones, laptops, etc) that work really well and tend to have the best support, customer service, and developer tools in their class.

Not to mention because they control the hardware and software they are often extremely highly optimized. Look at the performance tests in mobile: Even the 5S, a one year old phone, still beats most recently Android phones. That's not because there is anything wrong with Android, it's that the phone makers can't optimize the software stack to run on their hardware (and vice-versa).

Apple is a design company that makes hardware and software products. Not just visual design, but design as a pure thing. It's in everything - the chip design, the industrial design, the api design, etc etc.

The aren't perfect but what they try to do is get this right... not first. First to market is rarely the best, or most successful, implementation of an idea.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abritinthebay wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
they try to make them idiot proof and smoother for a client base that is actually a bit less technical.

Yes, that's why 90% of the developers of all the websites you use daily use Apple gear. Because the developers are less technical. Rolling Eyes

No, the reason is that they produce extremely high quality devices (phones, laptops, etc) that work really well and tend to have the best support, customer service, and developer tools in their class.

Not to mention because they control the hardware and software they are often extremely highly optimized. Look at the performance tests in mobile: Even the 5S, a one year old phone, still beats most recently Android phones. That's not because there is anything wrong with Android, it's that the phone makers can't optimize the software stack to run on their hardware (and vice-versa).

Apple is a design company that makes hardware and software products. Not just visual design, but design as a pure thing. It's in everything - the chip design, the industrial design, the api design, etc etc.

The aren't perfect but what they try to do is get this right... not first. First to market is rarely the best, or most successful, implementation of an idea.

True. ...but the company itself is still almost as bad as Wal Mart to do business with (I have done business with both).
Aside from cost thats the main reason why they do vidtually everything off continent. Remember that someone told you this....sooner or later it will be their undoing. Ray
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I was in a Apple store yesterday with my daughter who was buying a Airbook. She couldn't decide on which model and I told her she could get the one with 4gb of memory vs the 8gb since she could add it later. But the "genius" told me that the memory is soldered to the board and can not be upgraded.

Sure sounds innovative and ground breaking to me Rolling Eyes

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Oddly enough I was in a Apple store yesterday with my daughter who was buying a Airbook. She couldn't decide on which model and I told her she could get the one with 4gb of memory vs the 8gb since she could add it later. But the "genius" told me that the memory is soldered to the board and can not be upgraded.

Sure sounds innovative and ground breaking to me Rolling Eyes

Its that type of crap I was getting at in the post, before last. I cant tell you how many I-phone carrying friends I know that wish they could take their battery out and carry a spare.

Everything. ..virtually everything in the I phones are soldered. The phones are all hand assembled in China. ...lots of soldering. This is one reason that apple spokespersons recently have noted that you could not produce an I-phone in US factories for less than about 4-6X the cost. It has been optimized for cheap labor with lowest common skills....lots of soldering.
In a US, European or even Taiwanese plant....lots more fully printed boards and robotic assembly would be used. The development costs of a line like that would buy most of a decade of China stylelabor intensive production....Apples words....not mine.

That...and putting an extra mini chip connector in the I-phone would likely make it thicker by a few thou.....making your ass look big in your skinny jeans. Cant have that!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I've used Apple Products and have been happy with them.

So, speaking from a non hater, this last go round with iOS 8 and it's myriad of problems is making me wonder.

Has the great "it just works" Company trully stumbled and will they recover from it?

There are a lot of diehard Apple fans out there who are NOT HAPPY right now!

They still haven't fixed this mess, slow internet connections, balky down loads, etc.

Whatever template thesamba operates really is struggling right now. It doesn't scroll properly, curser goes out of the typing block, Locks up, kciks me off....
I don't think it's the format, I firmly believe it is Apple.

I seriosly wonder if I may soon be done with the big fruit????........

My favorite term...... "Too much technology". We are there people.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Whatever template thesamba operates really is struggling right now. It doesn't scroll properly, curser goes out of the typing block, Locks up, kciks me off....
Dave

ThaSamba works fine on my Motorola running Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)

Can you try using a different browser?

Quote:
Is Firefox available for iPhone or iPad?

Apple's restrictions prevent us from bringing the current version of Firefox to iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch). We are researching new ways to make Firefox for iOS but there are no definite plans for a release at this time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Over the years, I've used Apple Products and have been happy with them.

So, speaking from a non hater, this last go round with iOS 8 and it's myriad of problems is making me wonder.

Has the great "it just works" Company trully stumbled and will they recover from it?

There are a lot of diehard Apple fans out there who are NOT HAPPY right now!

They still haven't fixed this mess, slow internet connections, balky down loads, etc.

I seriosly wonder if I may soon be done with the big fruit????........

My favorite term...... "Too much technology". We are there people.

Dave

My original business......is/was...as a graphic designer. Not just the basic design but layiut for plating and printing at commercial printing, companies. I cut my teeth in the late 80s and early 90s on the first two generations of Apple products.
Designers didnt start using apple/Macintosh because they are simple to use. We started using them because they were the only ones that had the interface, software and abilities to handle the tasks.
Anyone on any, computer with Adobe products can do "basic"rendering and graphic design....but that is not the same as what is required to actually lay out the complex designs, multiple layers and command structure for direct to plate etc.

In commercial printers now you see a mix of Mac, PC and oyhers running Gerber and Creo programs to translate from Illustrator, photoshop, in design and others to work with inage setting equipment.

I am not an Apple product hater. But with improvements in everything else....they are becoming increasjngly, irrelevant to their original base. They are building for style now.

As such they are ignoring certain basic features that are the equivalent of the new BMWs all coming with a run-flat donut instead of acreal spare tire.....for the 50k you spent.

That, being said.....yes they make beutiful slick stuff. I dojt hate their products.....I sim0ly hate the company.
Ray
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting this on my 6+. Not having any problems at all reading or replying here on thesamba
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active for about a month now. No lockups, no problems, and I added a 128 Gb memory card. So far, I am pleased with it. As I stated earlier, I previously had an iPhone 5, and yes, Apple generally works very well, but so does this S5. I'm just not seeing enough of a difference to justify all of the hype spewing from either side. Get what works for you and who cares what anyone else says. Sheesh!! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, got my iphone6 today I like it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Glenn, got my iphone6 today I like it.

Glad you like it.

I know you have low expectations since you like 009s also Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: