Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

roof rack question-
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: roof rack question- Reply with quote

Okay, so this weekend I went to our local car show with my Bug. A guy comes up and says he has a Cal Look '67, it has a roof rack on it, and would I be interested in it...So, I go to his house, and this is what I see...it does NOT hit the roof in the center, although it is about 1/8 inch from doing so. I have never seen a rack like this- is it a Universal fit for all cars, or was it made for the Bug? It fits the contours of the roof very nicely, so I am kinda thinking it is for a Type 1...any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, folks, surely someone has seen one of these...Is it one of those super rare holy crap ones that I am an idiot for not grabbing right away, regardless of cost? Is it a Universal mount from JC Whitney that isn't worth hauling it home for free? Inquiring minds want to know....

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's neither. The universality of the cups and straps does not cheapen the rack. It has nice enough uprights and tubes that suggest it was a high quality aftermarket rack that may have been made for numerous small car roofs (not just for beetles)- but they also made them for other cars in larger sizes (like Bekowa did). You own it now I hope, and you'll not see another one.

Recently I saw an Italian made rack made for Seats in a friend's garage. It was thought to be for a beetle too, based on dimensions- but was too wide. The contour could fool you. It was a comparably beautiful rack to yours. It would be mine if it cleared the bug roof- but I am in therapy for my rack hoarding...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Hitest, I wish it would fit my car...but with the sunroof, and the crossmembers clearing the roof by only 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, there would be no way the ragtop would open..I had a regular rack on it for a while, a VW "Made in Western Germany" one, and I had a hell of a time getting the sunroof open with it, even...so this one wouldn't stand a chance. Oh, well, I may pick it up for a wintertime project..

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to put my rack disease in perspective...
I bought a near-perfect ZVW beetle rack (70s era) and hung it in the garage because I lacked a car new enough to properly 'represent.' The mission: buy a late bug to haul the rack around. This lead to:

Now, I've got a '62 ragtop, so my rack may have to come off of this:

Yes, that means I'll need a non-sunroof model, early metal rack for the '63 now. All this to satisfy an irrational rack fetish. Cool

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, from what I have seen over the years, that the taller, "sunroof" style steel rack is harder to find than the regular one...I've had 5 or 6 of the regular ones, and only one of the taller models. I've had those, an original, with sticker, wood slat that had the VW emblem and "Made in Western Germany" stamped into it, and a VW accessory one that came all apart quite easily.. This one is kinda cool, with the wood on the sides, and I know a woodworker locally that could reproduce the sides and slats with ease...but it still won't fit my Oval sunroof... Crying or Very sad

PS- I just looked at my number of posts here...82x94mm... Cool

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought beetles had more roof curve than other cars. That would mean it was a rare well made desirable hardtop beetle roof rack. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, that is exactly what I was hoping...but I just don't know. I will keep researching this, and hopefully have enough of an answer to make the guy an honest, reasonable, offer.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I'd suspect is was not made specifically for a beetle is because any weight of luggage would make it hit the roof. I'd offer the guy an honest $75 with the assurance it is not a beetle rack. I'd look into Seats, Renaults and Peugeots for something familiar- I'm sure it will end up on something else- maybe a British car?

FU#5
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got it from the guy. It's actually quite well-built, and stepping on the crossmembers indicates that it will take quite a bit of weight before starting to bow and flex. The rails are indeed aluminum; I took an SOS pad to one sections and it cleaned and shined up very nicely. However, there is a guy in the Los Angeles area that just had to have it, and he made me an offer I cannot refuse...so it is going to a new owner in a day or two.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: