Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint job cost?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Paint job cost? Reply with quote

I tried searching. So forgive me if this has been brought up before. And I know there will be a very wide range of answers. But how much does it cost to get a VW bug painted?

Not a show job. Just a daily driver. But not an Earl Sheibe(sp?) job either. Also I need to cover up red with panama beige. What kind of paint and/or process should I demand? I'm assuming original was not covered with alot of fancy clear coats. And that they aren't necessary. But please school me.

How much has to be disassembled on the car to make it look right? I'd want the inside and the outside painted. I assume the interior has to come out. And the glass. Does the body have to come off?

Any money saving tips short of doing the dis assembly and assembly myself? Any lower cost shops in socal that you can recommend?

Thanks for any help. I sincerely appreciate it. I've never had a car painted. So don't know what even to ask.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay . . .I'll take a stab at this . . .
First, you'll have to find a shop that is willing to do a "complete". Some shops won't want to do your car and will quote accordingly. Now, here's what you should know about the body shop. They make a minimal profit from a job like you want for your Beetle. They make their money by throwing a new fender on a Honda, painting that new fender, and then doing that same thing to other cars several times every day! Those "insurance jobs" are their bread & butter . . . a "complete", like you want, is a lot of work for the body shop.

When I had my Ghia painted, I left the body on the pan, but I removed almost everything that would un-bolt. the shop masked the wiring harness anyplace where it was exposed, and the floorpan. They painted everywhere since, like you, I had a color change done. The more parts that are removed, the better the color change will be!
I was told that my Ghia would take two or three weeks, but ended up in the shop for NINE MONTHS!!! I went to visit every week and my car would have a new primer spot or two, but the Honda's I saw were different ones every time I went.

I had three Bugs painted by three different shops in O.C many years ago. Jerry Seivers/ Paint-n-Place did an AWESOME paint job for a reasonable price, but that was a LONG time ago . . .

The other two shops . . . SUCK!!!!!! I wouldn't trust either of them to paint my garbage can!!!
The one is in Huntington Beach and has a "regal" sounding name. Visit them if ya want the shaft . . . I got it there!
The other AUTO BODY shop is in Garden GROVE. Visit them if ya want the shaft . . . I got it there! You can figure out who I'm talking about.

You will need to call all the body shops to find out who is willing to do your car, then go to the shop to get quotes. I'll tell ya now . . it's not cheap!
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bud!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research is required. I would second what 57blitz said, in that most shops (all) make the most money on all the bits & pieces when they bring a job in the shop. I write quotes all day for a truck shop, so I know this first hand. I have a shop that I go to to get stuff done for myself. Nice guy, clean shop & he is interested in what I am working on. This is, what I think is key. If the shop has a genuine interest in your car & what you want them to do, you will get a good job & good price. Best of luck
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do All the prep & reassembly a good painter will still want $2000+ to paint it inside & out. I would want base coat & clear coat since it stands up to fading/oxidation & rock chips a Lot better. They all wanted $3-4000 to paint my pickup exterior only!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
If you do All the prep & reassembly a good painter will still want $2000+ to paint it inside & out. I would want base coat & clear coat since it stands up to fading/oxidation & rock chips a Lot better. They all wanted $3-4000 to paint my pickup exterior only!

Thats a pretty good estimate for this. Also....as noted....you need to look around and think about the logistics of this. And....speak to the shop about the logistics (if you are doing a lot of the work yourself). There are a lot of shops that do not like to work this way for these r3asons.

1. If you are doing the body and prep work....is what you do and the materials you used....of a good enough quality that the shop will feel that if they spray paint over that work....can they warrant the paint job?

2. So you are going to do the body work and parts stripping? If you do that....body filler specifically. ...it needs to be primed immediately. If its primed....it needs to get to the paint shop in short order. It must not collect excessive dust, oil, drive time....or get rained on.....or the primer will no5 be sound because its porus. Many shops will not spray paint over that with a warranty. So get the agreement up front of what primer you spray, whether the car gets covered and flatbedded to the shop and painted as is.....or if the primer is just there to protect body work....and it gets chemically removed and reprimed at the shop for complete paint. Its a difficult and risky thing to fully prime your car, do excellent wet sanding and dust and slurry removal. ...and get that ready to paint surface to the paintshop without contaminating it.

3. If you do all this work yourself.....and it should not only be to save money....you should work hard to do it to a level of quality that you find to be what you want in the finished car. Otherwise you should slow down and save your pennies and pay the shop do do the work.
You dont want to do a bunch of work that the shop finds poor or unnaceptable.....or your car WILL sit around while they work around your problems.

If you are doing the prep work, body work and stripping of parts, engine and interior ....write out a plan .....a short plan and decription .....of what you will do and exactly what condition the car will arrive in. Get the shop to tell you what remains in order to prep, prime, mask and shoot paint.
Generally they can tell you what else you are missing.

In this manner.....you can make an appointment. There is no excuse for your car sitting around for months unless its a project car where they are taking it apart, welding, doing corrections and serious restoration.
Having the car sit around just screws up work you have done.

Ask the shop....what will be required for you to do to your car (meaning wha5 condition is must arrive in).....to be able to transport it to their shop, have it prepped, masked and shoot paint. Then do it. Take pictures as you progress...and check with the shop. Let them tell you when they think its ready.....but be careful to waste as little of their time as possible.

Once paint is on.....get it out of their shop and take it home. Let it cure...and do the color sanding. Same communication applies to be able to decide when its ready for buffing and the clear coat.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of a shop that did everything. Dis assembly, prep, paint etc. But that sounds like not an option. It would be to expensive. I think I will wait until the right color car comes along. Instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Having said that. How much does an outside only paint job cost? And will they do what dis assembly is necessary. Like I said. I don't have the facilities or time to do it all myself. I'd like to pay someone.

And again, any socal shop recommendations would be great.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a shop to offer & I am sure others will chime in. Read some of the posts on here, type 1, type 2, type 3, type 4. All of these people have had the occasion to look into painting their cars/busses. Check out some local shops, talk to other car drivers, do your research, this is a big investment for your car & you really want to do it right once.
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much should a decent outside only paint job cost? And again, looking for socal paint shops if anyone has any recommendations. I know of one. But would rather deal with someone that has done VW's or better yet is known to provide good service for a reasonable price.

I'm using this information while shopping for a new bug.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy one that is already a color you like, it will save you $$thousands. There are very few shortcuts or money saving options. If you cant or wont disassemble and prep you will need to write a 4-5 figure check. Paint, primer, sandpaper... I spent well over $2000. That was just materials and no labor.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: