Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Help
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Wiper Help Reply with quote

I tinkered with my wipers last night and got the high speed to work. I am not able to get the lower speed working or the part that makes them go back to the bottom of the windshield.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing_Man73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this post from a few years ago, it has a ton of information it about the wiper motor. This has been talked about a lot.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159931&highlight=rebuild+wiper+motor
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check the connector block/park switch and the low speed wire from the connector block to the low speed brush on the brush plate. Your wipers won't park if the low speed circuit is not working. Could even be the low speed brush is not contacting the commutator. But first check to see if you have power to the low speed tab on the wiper motor (blk wire) with the wiper switch on low speed and ignition on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check and I am not getting power. I am only getting power to the high speed.

Thanks for the help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you need to check the wiper switch and wire harness with a test light. See if you have 12v at the blk/wht wire (53a) with just the key on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the park does not work, but the highs and lows do when hooked up directly to a battery. The switch is only powering the high speed and not the low.

What beetle wiper switch will fit in a 73 Thing?
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part number is 111 953 519H, '72-'73 bug. You want the 4 pin wire connector. You might get the park back with a working switch. Most all the new wiper switches are from China...good luck. You can also try looking for a used one in the classifieds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: