Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left inside tie rod end....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckrazr wrote:
Ok,
Went to ISP and got all my ball joints and 3 of the tie rod ends.
Found a guy on here that has 2 left Niners so I bought one.
I will check it out and post after I receive it.
Thanks all for the insight.

Its interesting to see that ISP is out of stock on the bent left inner. What year is your car?
And if you dont mind can you tell us what brand your tie rods are when you get them?
Thanks! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures of an alternative way of getting the 9 degree tie rod end. This could easily be used for the T-34 and Porsche 912 20 degree tie rod end but you would probably go to 7/8"-1" hex bar.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The complete tie rod with adapter:

End detail

the inner end on here right now is just the Flennor for fit. It has not been pinned yet

Back cap construction detail of the superb NOS TRW tie rod ends I have for both ends of these rods

Side detail with boot. Nice boot.

Sorry for the crappy pics. My lighting set up and photo backdrop space is busy right now so I just snapped these on the fly. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heckrazr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray greenwood, they are all Meyle tie rod ends
Heckrazr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And these were for my 69 fastback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Did you buy any of the 9° bent ones....or just the straight ones?
Quality on every company's joints is going up and down. The Meyles....I dont have a real grip on for current quality. I hear excellent and not so good from all over the place. If you could post a couple of detail pics it would be nice.

I am slowly putting together a tie-rod and balljoint "quality" and identification chart in pictures.
Ray
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, nice job on the adapter, very well done. Applause
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
Ray, nice job on the adapter, very well done. Applause

Thank you! Some....I figure think its stupid and unecessary....but being that I have a car that no longer has shocks, struts or ball joints manufactured for it and quality and tightness of joints makes a huge difference on this car.....and I have bad trouble getting quality joints at all (much less even getting 9°bent joints)....I figured it was about time.

Seiously...I keep telling vw people....especially type 3 and somewhat the bus guys....start either collecting basic parts as they are available or start looking for answers.
I wasnt so worried about tie rod ends just because I had a hard time finding a decent 9° bent inner. ......but when I started hearing from actual manufacturers that specialty inner tie rod ends like that....are no longer really on their production list......because there are virtually "0" modern cars that do not have power steering or rack and pinion.....both of which use a totally different type of joint......the warning bells went off in my head.

Outer tie rod ends should be no big deal. Even if our exact part #s dry up....the taper on the pin is pretty standard and power steering and rack and pinion use such virtually identical outers that we could probably always make something available work.

As far as quality.....thats a different thing. Aside from third world manufacturing issues, virtually all of the big names have outstanding construction and materials. However....the internal designs have changed a bit. The mfgs are starting to make everything the same type internally. The pattern is much lighter tension on springs, looser turning torque etc.....but more precision so that each joint is virtually identical. This is for the modern steering systems. Older cars like ours that need tighter joints to control vibration and movement may suffer. Ray
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I mentioned in my thread, I was able to score a complete NOS assembly, left tie rod and both inner and outer ends.

but look at what I took off. The end is angled the wrong way. And, this was the outer, the inner was straight (and actually in pretty good condition, the outer seen below was like playing with a rubber band it was so worn)

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should section the outer one with an angle grinder. if its like a "rubber band"...I can almost exactly tell you what you will find inside.......AND....if I am correct...its one of the reasons I would not buy NOS joints that are REALLY NOS.....meaning say.... pre-80's build or original 1960's/70's VW stamped items.

What I found inside of the original 1971, 1972 and 1973 joints from my 412 (which are the same for type 3)....is that the same incorrect nylon 6 was used that was also used in the centerlink bushings of super beetle and type 4 cars.

It absorbs moisture with age and literally turns to a mush. It can do so even on the shelf without being installed to a certain extent because it absorbs moisture and solvents from the grease inside.

If so....what you have can have a short life span. If its 80's on up it usually has nylon 12 inside and will last for eons unless you mix grease types that are incompatible and then get an oxidization reaction that can start affecting the nylon.

All of this is part of why I started getting picky recently about what quality of tie rod ends I was getting. Ray
Guubeli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some NOS early model '62-'67 Type 3 left inner angled tie rod ends.
These are hard to find and these are original VW parts, no aftermarket.
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

Bumping an older thread.
Just ordered a full set of suspension parts for my 1970 Type 3 from RockAuto.com.

This is what I received for the left-inner tie rod end.
Don't know if I just got lucky with a NOS part, but for what its worth...
Only paid ~$20 for this one.

1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

Did it come in the AC Delco box or the Ocap bag?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:

Yes....please.....which one......or was it ocap bag in a Delco box....not unheard of as many companies makes parts for other companies.

Nice score. It would be interesting to see how old the stock is. Virtually no one making these except special order so I am told. $20 is a good deal. Make sure the thread direction is correct. Also if you can please take a picture of the back cap. Thanks! Ray

EDIT:...... ah....I see the made in Italy on th3 Delco box.....which fairly marks it as Ocap. Question is old or new. Good part hopefully either way.
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

Yes....please.....which one......or was it ocap bag in a Delco box....not unheard of as many companies makes parts for other companies.

Nice score. It would be interesting to see how old the stock is. Virtually no one making these except special order so I am told. $20 is a good deal. Make sure the thread direction is correct. Also if you can please take a picture of the back cap. Thanks! Ray

EDIT:...... ah....I see the made in Italy on th3 Delco box.....which fairly marks it as Ocap. Question is old or new. Good part hopefully either way.

Yes, precisely, it was in the Ocap bag inside the AC Delco box. I haven't checked the thread direction yet, but I will. Hoping to be able to get it on the car this weekend if the weather cooperates. I'll report back once I can confirm fitment, etc.

1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
armoredpinata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

Is finding 9 degree left inners an issue any more? Rock auto still has the ACDelco 45A0142 in stock for $17 and Amazon lists at least 3 in stock: ACDelco 45A0142, Centric 612.33044, & Rare Parts RP26245 (looks identical to Centric). Even AutoZone has RP26245 listed. I've no idea about quality of the Centric parts so ordered the ACDelco part from Rock Auto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

I bought a couple of these from Rock Auto.

Unlike the original ones, it appears they have a relief notch cut in the top of them between the body and threaded end and are bent to 9 degrees. You can see the notch in the above picture. They really appear to have started out as straight tie rod ends.

Maybe not an issue, but an observation...
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

Any update on a manufacture making those early ( up to 67 ) left inner tie rod ends again?

I did find one at autozone and kragen made by RareParts # 26244 . The picture looks like the boot is separate and just sits on top of the end piece and is held in place when it is installed. Looks kind of funky. Anybody seen it in person?

I like NOS but one member was saying something in a different posting that there were two different types of plastic the manufactures used before 1980 and after 1980 and the early type of plastic would fall apart due to moisture over time even just by sitting on the shelf. Because of it the rod end would not last long and wear out quick.

Not sure how to tell what year a tie rod end was made since they have no year stamp on it.
vwsplitvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

Can anyone please confirm the thread direction on the inner tie rod end?

Left side of car where it meets steering box.

69 car

Be great help as not with car right now. 👍 Thanks

My car is lowered so I have been sent the straight tie rod.
On the Febi box it is part no. 311 415 812C
SBS #20 UK

RHD 62 Ragtop Beetle Beryl Green
LHD 69 Squareback Peru Green
LHD 63 Splitscreen Highroof Pearl White
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

vwsplitvan wrote:
Can anyone please confirm the thread direction on the inner tie rod end?

Left side of car where it meets steering box.

69 car

Be great help as not with car right now. 👍 Thanks

My car is lowered so I have been sent the straight tie rod.
On the Febi box it is part no. 311 415 812C

Pretty sure it's RH thread and the outer is LH

I got mine from Autozone in 2015 they seem to be well made. They have other makes as well.
vwsplitvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Left inside tie rod end.... Reply with quote

Thanks blues90 l
SBS #20 UK

RHD 62 Ragtop Beetle Beryl Green
LHD 69 Squareback Peru Green
LHD 63 Splitscreen Highroof Pearl White
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: