Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba facebook subscriber PSA - aircooled hooligans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I did but once your there it's in your history. I commented on the hitler pic even negatively and the damn thing was everywhere.

So basically I shared jewminator just by saying "hey butthead, you're ruining the place". I deleted the comments and got out of there but the damage was done. The group was private so they could just see I commented on a pic of hitler dressed up as the terminator. They couldn't see my comments were anti- hitler pic. If it makes more sense now then there ya go. I got a bunch of e-mails from folks saying wtf? And I was saying the same thing. None of them could open it and read my rant. It just looked like I wanted to share a pic. Sounds stupid because it is. I'm seeing a shitstorm from all sides. Based on the pic.

This is a great description of how things on Facebook can work in a way that will negatively affect you.

What other people see in their feed is almost always not what you see for yourself. They will often see every like, every comment you make on other's posts, etc.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I d None of them could open it and read my rant. It just looked like I wanted to share a pic. Sounds stupid because it is. I'm seeing a shitstorm from all sides. Based on the pic.

Social network "Shitstorm"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Hooligans Reply with quote

Jsbug72 wrote:
I am a Hooligan, and have been for over a year. For the most part our members are good people. Yes like most families we have our " crazy uncle Bills". Yes some things have been posted that some might not find funny, but trust me its all in the sense of humor. No one in our group agrees with what Hitler did before or during WWII. You can't overlook the fact that these cars are the brain child of Hilter, nor can you overlook the fact that these are the GREATEST cars ever built.
The Hooligans has grown greatly in the past few months due to a major promotional push in memory of one of our originators " Josh Hensley" who was killed in a traffic accident while broke down in his bug on the side of the interstate. The Hooligans is not just a FB group but also a club with chapters popping up everywhere " including the UK". We have members in every state including yours.
You memtioned the originator of our group as being one of the persons making these posts. Just so you know that very same person donated a W deck lid to be signed by people for Joshes memorial. Would you have done that?
Yes the Hooligans is not for eveybody. After all we are not the Aircooled Alter Boys. If you don't agree with what is posted or said, then dont be a part of it , just go about your life and stop belittling people you dont know.. I,m sorry you dont agree with our group/club. I wish you the best of luck finding somewhere you belong. Maybe start your own group/club.
Personally I'm getting tired of people Crying about what is posted because their feelings got hurt. My uncle used to tell me " to be a part of this family you have to learn how to throw spears and duck at the same time".
As far as your job and the hooligans. First if you are at work you should be working not on FB. Second we didn't pick your job for you, YOU DID.
NO WE ARE NOT PART OF THE SAMBA. but we are members

I don't think he's crying about anything. He doesn't agree with it and is warning others about the issue. You made a point that the guy with the hateful posts dontated a W decklid and asked if the OP would of done that. Well I would love to make a point based on this. Ted Bundy offered rides to complete strangers and also drove a VW. That doesn't make him anything more than he was though. I'm not going to preach about racism and all that other stuff, because people are entitled to their views. It isn't being a whiny baby to warn others about the content of the groups postings.

I'm not calling anyone a racist or taking sides but the OP is entitled to his opinion.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Interesting the number of Samba posters here to defend the AC Hooligans and they have 1-4 posts to their names.

I joined the Hooligans just to see what was about. It's not really for me, and I found it incredibly juvenile a lot of the time. It seemed to be a group of people who were more about "fuck the man, I do what I want and no one tells me what to do because I'm a hooligan and a bad ass" than anything else. Don't dare post anything contrary to what the 15 regular poster's views are, unless you wear asbestos underwear. The general attitude seems to be that "If you disagree with us at all, we will run you off" and has been stated as such by a moderator. Anyone who speaks up is labelled as "butt hurt".

Either way, it's a FB page that is nothing like The Samba. It doesn't represent all AC VW owners, just a niche group and if they are happy with themselves, running off those that don't have the same views as them and posting idiotic Hitler and Nazi related pictures, just ignore them if you don't share that same base level of humour. To each their own.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad I wasn't the only one seeing it.

I'm happy I did post this here as things did get back around. It's a small world and everything I feared happened. All of the sudden I was the guy with a German name, owns nothing but VW's and admittedly controversial war collectibles...it wasn't a hard sell to label me an anti-Semite. My parents are cool because they've read this, work is still tracking the origin. Once they know I didn't forward it purposefully I'm good there too. Wish I knew who sold me out. But no biggie.

Be careful what you comment on, things take on a life of their own.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
wuwei75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one truly appreciate you posting this. I joined their Facebook group for a new chapter and started watching the posts. I could tell there was something I didn't like. then I saw some posts that made me uncomfortable: that's the great thing about social media: you don't like something, do like I do and hit the 'unfriend', 'leave' button. done and done.

1972 Fastback (Maude)
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the smart answer. Just leave. My problems where that I left after commenting on photos.

If you see something rough or questionable just go.

Don't comment.

Facebook links the commented pic to you and shares it with your friend list.

This was my problem, I left the group and didn't think of any comments/likes etc showing up anywhere else. Everyone on my friend list understands what happened by now. I have been cleared by a human relations panel for distributing religiously offensive information (I didn't forward it is all they cared about, I really wished they'd dug further and cleared my name a little more than that). My baseball team parents probably still don't know what to think of me because I really don't talk with any of them. The season was almost over with by the time the inquisition began. So there's still a baseball team worth of parents and likely my HR department that thinks I have something against Jews-all from a stupid internet picture.

So don't comment, just run. It's the safest thing to do.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to applaud the OP's bravery for standing up for others on a public forum knowing he was probably going to get raked over the coals. He has a set of core values and convictions and is willing to stand up for what he believes in. Sounds like maybe the OP should have been in Germany in 1930.

I would gladly give up my favorite car if that means 6,000,000 Jewish people would have survived the time period from 1929 until 1945. Total death count for WW II is over 10 times that number. It was a very tragic and trying time for everyone. I dare say not many Samba members are WW II veteran's but if there are I am sure they will tell you it sucked to be there. My father served during this point in our history and didn't like to talk about it.

This does sound like its a simple case of younger people acting like kids tend to do. When I was younger, as I wish I still was, I did stupid insensitive things just because I didn't have the life experiences that I have now. When I was called out for my behavior I lashed out and berated the people who pointed out my insensitive behavior. I did it because I was embarrassed but didn't know how to say I am sorry. I really stepped on my wiener once when I was in high school on our swim team. We had a gutter race that we all made small boats to float down the gutter of the pool, me and my teammate made our boat together and we were very proud of our work. I told him I would paint it and have it ready for the event. I named it and spent a lot of time painting its name on both sides. The name was Blitzkrieg. When he saw it he was offended and asked me if I knew that he was a Pole and his faith was Judaism. My response was don't be such a pussy.

My friend did not live long enough for me to grow up enough to hear an apology from me. He died before graduating from high school. I wish I could say that this was enough to make me grow up, sadly I had a long career of saying and doing stupid and insensitive things.

So yes the Bill of Rights gives you the freedom of speech, but your rights only extend to the point that it infringes upon the rights of others. If you are going to quote your rights then know your rights! Not just bits and pieces. I didn't have the right to offend anyone and neither does anyone else.

I want to thank the OP for his bravery and convictions, I also ask him to try to remember what it was like to be young, dumb, and full of..... well you get my point.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Hooligans Reply with quote

Jsbug72 wrote:
You can't overlook the fact that these cars are the brain child of Hilter,

REALLY??? That would be news to Herr Porsche.... Shocked

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Grendelspop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the need to jump in and defend our club here. The club was founded by Justin Fl**ford, myself, and a couple others. We started the page to be unlike all the other clubs that we had tried out and just didn't get. Too political, to "show" oriented or just too cliché. We had no huge plan, it was just a come one come all kinda thing. I don't think anyone expected for it to blow up like it did. But..it did. We have members online from all over the world and now have active chapters hosting shows and cruises. Like any other open forum, this one included, you end up with all manner of personalities coming through. Unlike other sites though, we tolerate most of them. It really comes down to freedom of speech and we feel that this should apply even to dumbasses. I've been fed up myself and taken breaks from the club. But it really is that simple if something offends. We're not held down and forced to participate. The OP gives the impression that he is talking about a single group of people, with one ideology. You just can't label us that way. We are thousands. We welcome all.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grendelspop wrote:
I feel the need to jump in and defend our club here. The club was founded by Justin Fl**ford, myself, and a couple others. We started the page to be unlike all the other clubs that we had tried out and just didn't get. Too political, to "show" oriented or just too cliché. We had no huge plan, it was just a come one come all kinda thing. I don't think anyone expected for it to blow up like it did. But..it did. We have members online from all over the world and now have active chapters hosting shows and cruises. Like any other open forum, this one included, you end up with all manner of personalities coming through. Unlike other sites though, we tolerate most of them. It really comes down to freedom of speech and we feel that this should apply even to dumbasses. I've been fed up myself and taken breaks from the club. But it really is that simple if something offends. We're not held down and forced to participate. The OP gives the impression that he is talking about a single group of people, with one ideology. You just can't label us that way. We are thousands. We welcome all.
Did you ever stop to think that certain types of people would be attracted to your club, just by the name? Or maybe that's what you wanted. Just wondering. Smile
Grendelspop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought never crossed my mind. It's a cool name. That is all. Like I said though, it's just the nature of the beast. I mean how many skid marks do you come across on here daily? And they call it The Samba!! I admit that you do have a point though. But if this is not a persons thing, why join a group named HOOLIGANS and then complain about the content of members post? I mean the name itself should tell you that the people on there are not going to be the run of the mill purist talking about their new dash flower vase.
bikeriderz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one here that finds the OP's signature ironic? I guess we know which one he would choose.

I am a FB member of the Aircooled Hooligans, and of the Chicagoland chapter. I find it rather enjoyable, honestly. I did "like" most of the Hitler pics, as I appreciated the humor in which they were posted. And no, I really don't care who's Grandma sees it.

In general, I find the group to be a lot tighter, and a lot more fun than anything to date I have seen on The Samba. To each their own, right?

I do appreciate the idea that he wanted to warn away other lambs and Cleavers away from us, but resorting to the same name calling that we were fighting is just asinine. especially since he didn't take the time to look around and see who we really were before coming on here and vomiting his disgust. Good riddance to you sir.

Edit: Oh, and the reason my post count is so low? I don't find this site useful. so I rarely come here.
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been fighting the thought of posting to this thread but for whatever reason I feel the need to post.

I am an active member to both TheSamba and Aircooled Hooligans (Michigan Chapter). I personally can not see why this discussion has garnered so much insight and thought, and why the OP felt the need to post this thread. He should of stayed with his original intentions and just left the group as he did.
However now he has started a topic that has created the general thought of hatred and stupidity of over 4000 people based upon there assimilations with 5 others and there antics of which were posted for humor. If u didn't find it funny then u didnt, but don't get all butthurt about it. There have been plenty of things that I have thought werent very tasteful but do I get upset? NO I move on because people can think what they want I'm not going to tell them any different. The fact of the matter is: just like the Samba, Aircooled Hooligans is a wealth of knowledge and experience with VW's. You can come and share with us or you can leave, we won't care either way!! Good day.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can do is invite you to read the posts I've made. I've said over and over that almost all of the hooligans are awesome people.

The 5 are screwing the place up.

I'm open to real history and that's the sig line someone chose to take a childish shot at. It's a Mussolini quote and it's been my sig line for over four years. Google before you type anything.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Mussolini

The hooligans page caused me great grief. Through it I inadvertently shared an anti semetitic pic with everyone on my friends list and put my job in jeopardy via human recourses investigation. It's not just the internet when it's facebook. It's you, your pics, your personal information....an undeniable electronic fingerprint. This PSA is just that, a public service announcement. Unlock the admission to the page and everything will be fixed. When membership is considered exclusive and private then folks don't know what they've signed up for until it's too late. If you're an admin just put that in the sign up notes! "Some members are Aryan Brotherhood members that happen to like VW's a little... They even think hitler built their fat chick, it looks sweet with ss lightening bolts on it etc". Then follow that up with "if you might be offended by being remotely associated by these douchebags then please don't join" because the same asshole likes to post pics titled "a black man hard at work, you click on it and it's a cartoon of a black guy hanging from a tree". Haha- hooligans laugh en masse.

None of that's racist Rolling Eyes
Put out a disclaimer or open the membership so everyone is free to browse without the stigma of being in league with assholes like the one (glorious) leader I mentioned above and the problem is solved.

My Mussolini quote is exactly what you needed to key in on.

Some parts of history are worth holding onto. I'll never revise history to fit a warped sense of reality that some hooligans have.

One day as a lion? I'll gladly take crap from you diehards knowing that I've done the right thing here. That I've saved others from jumping into the same problems I've faced is reward enough.

A lamb would've never started this thread, I'm not going anywhere.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeriderz wrote:

Am I the only one here that finds the OP's signature ironic? I guess we know which one he would choose.

I am a FB member of the Aircooled Hooligans, and of the Chicagoland chapter. I find it rather enjoyable, honestly. I did "like" most of the Hitler pics, as I appreciated the humor in which they were posted. And no, I really don't care who's Grandma sees it.

In general, I find the group to be a lot tighter, and a lot more fun than anything to date I have seen on The Samba. To each their own, right?

I do appreciate the idea that he wanted to warn away other lambs and Cleavers away from us, but resorting to the same name calling that we were fighting is just asinine. especially since he didn't take the time to look around and see who we really were before coming on here and vomiting his disgust. Good riddance to you sir.

Edit: Oh, and the reason my post count is so low? I don't find this site useful. so I rarely come here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This site is about VW's, you may not find it useful based on that. Obviously you're looking for something more than solid vw info if you don't dig for it here.

You can't say flower vase..stock nazi BS because I can assure you my VW's are more heavily modified than most out there and they're still welcomed with open arms here. What's not welcomed here is your attitude.

You are one of the problems I spoke of. Your attitude, f-everybody...look at my ride I gotz skill! Your post just demonstrated everything that is wrong in aircooled hooligans. You probably posted a pic here once and got ripped apart due to some crap welds or bonehead fab work and have had it out for the samba ever since.

Check these guys out, they're just a cool group of guys that hang out and talk bikes. Maybe you'd click with them? You seem to be at the same place in life, after all, screw everyone that doesn't share your oppinion.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVK77U8bgKc

Just a group of guys hanging out with mutual interests? Why let some "lambs" get in the way of a good time.

At 3 completely useless posts I have to say you have absolutlely nothing to offer the community. Find a positive way to add useful content and ideas. People will respect that way more than your f-everybody, I'm so bad attitude.

Grendelspop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Some members are Aryan Brotherhood members that happen to like VW's a little... They even think hitler built their fat chick, it looks sweet with ss lightening bolts on it etc". Then follow that up with "if you might be offended by being remotely associated by these douchebags then please don't join" because the same asshole likes to post pics titled "a black man hard at work, you click on it and it's a cartoon of a black guy hanging from a tree". Haha- hooligans laugh en masse.

This is just absurd. I have been active from the beginning. There are no Aryan Brotherhood members and any and all Racist remarks would be removed immediately. Please, show us proof of this and I will personally ban that user. I know that proving this would be hard for you to do without the "risk" of accessing our page again, but for all reading this I have to say, until you do, this entire "PSA" is just hearsay and possibly even slander by a jaded ex-member. Give it break.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided the above was a good stopping point.

If there is anything new or real to discuss, PM me.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: