Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mirror replacement help!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Mirror replacement help! Reply with quote

Ok so here we go..
Managed to get this far and now can't seem to find the ad that sells the replacement mirrors.
Can someone here direct me to the ad???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll report back on my results. Promise! Smile
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's 2mm thick... and not common to your local glass shop.
Sometimes hobby/craft stores will have smaller mirrors. Maybe consider a trip with your calipers. If you find something, your local glass shop can make it round.

From what I remember... the edge is bead rolled. You might have to un-roll the edge to get the mirror in. For an idea of what that might look like... check out this Vespa legshield trim roller:
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Vintage-Tool-Leg-Shield-Trim-Roller/1302
e

Last edited by easy e on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:10 am; edited 6 times in total
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Easy.
Shame how I can't seem to locate the ad. Seller claimed to have the correct thickness and diameter dialed in.
Managed to pry open most of the aluminum lip using a soft piece of wood. Once I get my hands on that new glass mirror I'm sure I can repeat the home made wood tool method.
scruzdelux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an interim option I bought a cheap plastic hand mirror at a local dime store. I broke the mirror out of its handle and traced a pattern of my mirror on it. Then I scored along the pattern line with a Dremel cut-off disc until I was through the glass. It may not be the perfect thickness but it is cheap and gets you by until you can source a correct one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever find the guy selling the replacment glass?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.. But did get a PM for a free bus mirror! Very Happy

The mirror was only good for parts so managed to do the swap and it turned out great !

Thank you William!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it- OH- Laughing Laughing "lowenbach"-- just in case you doubters of carma are out there- today dropped the ratty 40 out of the 66 bus and it had a vw bosch 90mm 12 vt gen on it-- Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the og glass is indeed 2mm thick, I have some mirror glass that I plan to have cut if there is interest.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old motorcycle mirrors are a very close match- another thought. My local mirror place claimed I needed automotive grade mirror and refused to sell me their generic "mirror" glass
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
old motorcycle mirrors are a very close match- another thought. My local mirror place claimed I needed automotive grade mirror and refused to sell me their generic "mirror" glass
Is there such a thing as "automotive grade" mirror glass?

Maybee it's a tempered glass?

Thomas Jefferson
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they seemed to think there was automotive grade- call me crazy but i was threw caution to the wind and went with a piece of generic mirror that I had at the house. Cut it myself with a glass cutter and 4 years later still working fine and has not cracked etc Blobbed in some caulking behind it to hold it in place and has been rock solid
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
Is there such a thing as "automotive grade" mirror glass?

Maybee it's a tempered glass?

I think the the mirroring is more weather resistant. Regular mirror glass is not usually subjected to temperature and humidity extremes. You could always grab a mirror from a wrecking yard and have a glass place cut a circle.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a mirror piece that is thin enough for your use and larger than what you need you can fill a large washtub or bucket with clear water, hold the glass under water, and use a stout pair of scissors to trim it down to size. When you snip it close enough then you can nibble nibble and come closer and closer to the line or blue tape that you marked it with.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: wha?? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
If you find a mirror piece that is thin enough for your use and larger than what you need you can fill a large washtub or bucket with clear water, hold the glass under water, and use a stout pair of scissors to trim it down to size. When you snip it close enough then you can nibble nibble and come closer and closer to the line or blue tape that you marked it with.

That technique doesn't sound right, but I would bet you know what is up with that magic. Googling that fix...
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: wha?? Reply with quote

Sh*tBird wrote:
That technique doesn't sound right, but...

I know! I was skeptical till I did it. My dad taught me.

He said in World War II they were issued those right angle double D flashlights with the off-on and push-button. They were constantly breaking the lens and when they couldn't get the readymade glass they'd use a small pane from the English airport barracks.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: wha?? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Sh*tBird wrote:
That technique doesn't sound right, but...

I know! I was skeptical till I did it. My dad taught me.

He said in World War II they were issued those right angle double D flashlights with the off-on and push-button. They were constantly breaking the lens and when they couldn't get the readymade glass they'd use a small pane from the English airport barracks.

Great story. Thanks.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:

The mirror was only good for parts so managed to do the swap and it turned out great !

Thank you William!

Have you got any pictures of what the mirror frame looks like after you'd unrolled and re-rolled the edge?

I've a mirror to replace a cracked one on my SC, but have only just noticed that the cracked one is an original VW part.

I'd like to swap the new mirror's glass in to the old frame, but don't want to end up with something that looks like a dog's dinner when it's done.

Interested to see how yours turned out.

Thanks
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:

Thank you William!

Have you got any pictures of what the mirror frame looks like after you'd unrolled and re-rolled the edge?

I've a mirror to replace a cracked one on my SC, but have only just noticed that the cracked one is an original VW part.

I'd like to swap the new mirror's glass in to the old frame, but don't want to end up with something that looks like a dog's dinner when it's done.

Interested to see how yours turned out.

Thanks

Sure

Grab a soft twig or branch in shape of a pencil. Carve one end flat. Place the flat end between lip and mirror and go round and round with slow light pressure prying open the aluminum lip. Replace mirror then press back down on the aluminum with the same high tech twig/branch tool (like peeling on a potatoe).

Take note:

Don't rush and take your time. Aluminum is very soft so your results will depend on the amount of pressure applied. I used the fresh twig method being that it is soft and not rigid hard.
I'll post pictures soon.

Hope this helps!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks. And thanks for explaining the fresh twig tip.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The og glass is 2mm thick; it has a rubber gasket shown above that is a little thicker than 1mm; I have not measured one yet, just an estimate; not sure how accurate you could be measuring a 50 year old rubber gasket anyway; unless it was a nos mirror.

I have some 3mm glass; could one not use a little thinner rubber gasket and a little thicker glass? Not sure how much the gasket has to do with the mirror vibrating, but may be worth a try anyway.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Stocknazi on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: