Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are not retreads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: 14" tire choice dilemma Reply with quote

OK I've been looking at tires all day and if I don't stop I'm going to get in trouble! ( I'm at work).
I see the Hankook RA08 185R14's for sale at Walmart for $91.00 or I can get the GT Radial Champiro VP1 205/70R14's form Discount tire direct for $67.00 ea.
Are the GT's OK for a camper with steel wheels?(It's an '87 BTW)
I prefer them only because of the price and I have that tire size on the van already. I would think the Hankooks are better but are the GT's acceptable?
What are the +'s and -'s of the size difference for a van seeing light local use and 200 mile max highway use at a time? Do both meet the minimum load requirements? seem like they do but I'm not really knowledgeable about tires so double checking. Any insight would be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions. I need to order 1 or the other ASAP unless someone knows of another in stock choice not too pricey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just traded my 185 RAO8s for GT Champiro 205/70/14s.
These 'look' smaller if aesthetics bothers you... But, so do BFG 195s.
The load rating is marginal for a loaded camper at 1509, adjusted 9%.
Mine is a lightly loaded tin top. The GTs are definitely stout at max 50 psi!
I dialed my pressure back to 42/34 and improved the ride from those harsh RAO8s. The GTs will give you a little more tread width. They were $280 OTD at America's Tire!
I think the Hankooks were a little taller than advertised because now my speedo is a little closer to the GPS.
I was so tempted to try a GoWesty 15" package but $ IS an issue and I don't drive enough miles to worry about the 420 UTOG.
Time will tell but these Indonesian tires are a real option now for bus drivers.
ScottWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: help me ... Reply with quote

I am looking to replace tires on my 1986 Westfalia van and am having difficulties. A previous owner upgraded to the GoWesty 16" package with the HydroEdge tires. So my tires are 215 60 R16.

Go Westy is recommending the Michelin Defender (supercedes the HydroEdge). But my question is whether this tire with a load factor of 95T and a maximum load of 1477 is sufficient?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" tire choice dilemma Reply with quote

ScottWesty wrote:
I am looking to replace tires on my 1986 Westfalia van and am having difficulties. A previous owner upgraded to the GoWesty 16" package with the HydroEdge tires. So my tires are 215 60 R16.

Go Westy is recommending the Michelin Defender (supercedes the HydroEdge). But my question is whether this tire with a load factor of 95T and a maximum load of 1477 is sufficient?

Back in post #1, is this information:

Michelin Defender
215/60R16 (Euro-metric)
Load range: SL
Load index: 95T
Max load: 1521 lbs. -9% > 1384 lbs.
Max psi: 44
Notes: This tire is currently recommended and sold by GoWesty (replaces the NLA HydroEdge). What GW has failed to take into account is the required 9% reduction in load rating. This tire is also standard load, rather than extra load.

Bottom line: The Defender is an underrated passenger car tire. It's unwise to use it on your camper van, but it's ultimately your choice. I had the Pirelli equivalent, essentially, of the Defender on my van and saw premature wear and, thus, replaced them with a proper-rated tire.

FWIW, you don't have to replace your 215/60R16's with that exact size. There are various sizes out there such as 215/65R, 215/55R, 205/65R, etc. See the list under 16" in post #1.

DJPJMJ wrote:
Are the GT's OK for a camper with steel wheels?(It's an '87 BTW)
I prefer them only because of the price and I have that tire size on the van already.
... are the GT's acceptable?

Yes, they meet the minimum specs.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: 14" tire choices Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I went with the Hankook 185R14's over the GT Champiro's 205/70/14's. Mostly because of the higher load rating( I have a camper) and the good reviews I see. I'm very happy with them so far. They feel sturdy and safe and vastly improved my cornering. I have not been on the highway with them yet.
Of course, you can only go up compared to the 15 year old Michelin's that were on there, scary that the lady I bought this van from recently was driving around on those. She just had no idea that old cracked tires are unsafe even though the tread is good.
hwunger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time to replace the cracking Michelin LTX's .....

only two choices in Canada .... the Hankooks not available apparently .... so down to just the Yokohama 370's, or even more expensive BF Goodrich.

ordered the Yokohamas .... get them put on Friday .... hope this works.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to shop for some new 16" syncro tires. There are quite a few SL tires that will work in bigger sizes but not many LT or C/D load tires around 28".

I see the BFG ATs, the Grabber ATs, and the Hercules Power CVs (I never heard of) but that's all I see for LT or C/D load. Is there anything else?

[Edit] I guess I'll answer my own question, but if anyone knows of other LT tires, let me know. These are not LT tires but I may go with one of them.
215/70-16: Maxxis AT-771, Geolander AT/S, Toyo Open Country AT II.
225/70-16: Mechelin LTX M/S, Maxxis MA-751, Dynapro AT RF10

[Edit2] Doing more research. Found that Hercules tires are made by Cooper which is nice to hear. One of the choices is the Terra Trac AT II and it got pretty great reviews here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1215...f96fd7f449

The Dynapro AT RF10 only comes in a 225/70 but it got great reviews too.
Another one I am considering an haven't found a back review for yet is the Mastercraft Courser AXT.

If you look at the continental site, there are really a lot of C/D load tires in vanagon sizes. The one AT tire I like though comes in smaller sizes that I want, or larger, 205R16. That is 28.9" so a little big for me but interesting. With 15" wheels, the 205R15 would be an option. Oh well. Haven't decided anything yet, still looking at my options. I am very surprised how few of the AT truck tires in 215/70 and 225/70-16 come in C/D load ratings. Even the General Grabber is a SL tire.

THe other places I have been finding other choices is tires-easy, simpletire, 1010tires.

Dave
hwunger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwunger wrote:

ordered the Yokohamas .... get them put on Friday .... hope this works.

got the job done ..... they look fine, ride is good - not better than the LTX's but they were done so time to move on .... looking forward to camping season ..... $748.- CDN out the door. not cheap - but necessary Very Happy

ps: on 15" or 16" rims you have many choices - in 14" only 1` or 2
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: what do you think Reply with quote

I have a 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg weekender tint top
I need to get some tires for the winter. Will these work?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=M...;tab=Specs
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ XL...99 load rating...max 50 psi...sounds good - I'd run 'em! Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Yokohama Geolandar 215/70/R15 Reply with quote

Yokohama Geolandar AT/S (all-terrain SUV)
215/70R15
Load range: SL
Load index: 98S
Max load: 1653 lbs.
Max psi: 51
Revs/mile: 774

I have these on my '87 Westy with a GoWesty 2.3l engine. Very nice performing tire, no rubbing.
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: what do you think Reply with quote

VwMomofthree wrote:

Jumped off and bought these at Costco today. $449.00 out the door. There was a $70.00 instant rebate.

Amazingly they are very quiet
KevinsKamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: what do you think Reply with quote

VwMomofthree wrote:
VwMomofthree wrote:

Jumped off and bought these at Costco today. $449.00 out the door. There was a $70.00 instant rebate.

Amazingly they are very quiet

What size did you end up going with?....I'm wondering if the 215-65R 16s will rub with a dia. of 27" with stock suspension....
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Tire size Reply with quote

I ended up with 205/65/15 they are really nice. I like the ride and it is really quiet!
padapuma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: BF Goodrich AT on syncro with stock 2.1 Reply with quote

I purchased the 215/70/16 BF Goodrich AT's for my GW 16" wheels. I have a very strong, rebuilt 2.1 in my syncro westy and live in the mountains outside of Rocky Mountain National Park.........boy, should I have read the great post here on revs/min and decrease in engine power.

I had Michelin Primacy 205/65/16's on my van since purchase and had plenty of power (relative to a 2.1) to tool around the national park which reaches 12,000+ feet driving elevation. Now, with these BF Goodrichs, what used to be an easy 3rd gear is now a challenged 2nd (by the time I am at the top of a long incline). Feels like I have an elephant dragging behind me. Don't get me wrong, the ride is incredible and if I had a Subaru 2.5 or larger, I would be doing flips about the quality of these. Road noise is surprisingly low, handling is awesome, etc.....just wanted to warn those out there again about the loss in power. I am going to sell these or use them for snows on my CRV if they fit (most expensive snows ever!) and buy the Suminoto's (sp?) suggested on this post for half the price. Rolling Eyes
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed these LT195/75R-14 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's on my 86 Westy. I had C rated tires and these are the D's. I am amazed at the upgrade in handling! So much more solid feeling, I am embarrassed I didn't do this earlier!

Also got a nice deal on a set of alloys, lugs and bolts, mounting and balancing for $150.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got these new tires installed a couple weeks ago
Nokian Rotiiva. 215/70R16
Pretty tight on 7.5" wide rims but no rubbing.
A lot squishier than my old smaller, E rated van tires but they are more comfortable.
I think the size looks just right too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
WP_20141212_13_48_32_Pro by buildyourown, on Flickr

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
WP_20141212_13_48_43_Pro by buildyourown, on Flickr
msmcdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: General Grabber AT2 Reply with quote

I do a lot of driving around on forest roads. Some serious 2wd off-roading. And I drive to the mountain regularly in the winter. So I am interested in a AT tire. The General Grabber AT2 for the 14" wheel is also snow rated.

My question is, it is only weight rated at 1520lb which is less than your minimum recommendation. Yet you list it as an option. I had a guy here in town also recommend it for a Westy. So how strictly should I take the weight guidelines?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tires are fine. They are LT tires. 3040 lbs (1520x2) is more than the gross axle weight rating of 2866. If you are worried about it, put as much crap as you can in your van and weight it. Just keep them properly inflated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 57

Jump to: