Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mirror mounted turn signal LEDs?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a comment meant to stir "discussion" Laughing
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking in... Any updates?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Smile
The old uncle took a break and when he finally started to clear out the workshop he realized it was too much work to do by himself. I offered my hands long time ago but it wasn't until recently he asked me to help. Last week we could get the roof of (we need to lift the machines that way) and it seems that the truck driver is with me on mid next week to get 'em! FINALLY!

I actually found the same model on youtube. If you think it looks like a darn large thing, it's dwarf in the plastic industry.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...after days of cleaning the machine, my wife came to the workshop and said:
- It wasn't blue before.
- Nah, I've cleaned it.
- Oh.

Ok, it has been standing about ten years, but I think that the old dude hasn't cleaned the machine. Ever.
Anyway, I've been cleaning, sanding rust and painting, fixed some new hydraulic hoses and renovated a few switches. Now it looks like a machine in pretty good shape and it actually was in good shape under the thick layer of grease and dirt.
Finally I managed to hook it up to the power. I turned the main switch and *ZIP*. Complete darkness. The millisecond I turned the switch the RCD killed the main power.
Seems that I have some wiring to overhaul...

Close, but no cigar. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.

You will get it running.

Nice piece.
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping you got the machine worked out Very Happy
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, not letting this thing down...
Been replacing a few hoses, broken switches, ordered new controllers for the heaters, cleaned up a bunch of relays. And so on. A few bits and pieces left before she's running in automatic mode but I have had the machine started and almost all the electronic is fully working again. Almost... Wink
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES Exclamation
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How goes it Svenakela? Did you get the machine up and humming?
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summers420us wrote:
How goes it Svenakela? Did you get the machine up and humming?

Hoping for a 2014 update....

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys! Forgot to tell you, too much work lately. I actually almost forgot about the thesamba until new years eve when I realized I haven't been here for more than two months...

So what happened?
There were a bunch of electrical shortcomings in the system. No wonder as the machine has been stored pretty badly the last years. The machine is now running in automatic mode, but I have a few things to sort out for manual processing. Some cables and stuff needs to be replaced.
I had a moment where I almost kicked the machine out. There are three analouge heat controllers, only one is working and it's not reliable. I searched for a replacement and the only place I found was a company that renovates them and it costs 1300 USD each...
Then I realized, what about those digital controllers that sits in industry ovens and such? Out on eBay, searched for 30 seconds and found hundreds of them! I ordered four to have one in spare and I payed 100 USD with shipping. Smile

Old vs New heat controller

And with three of these made, the new sensors fits the heating bands. Smile

I hope to get it running very soon, people are knocking my door every now and then to get parts made so it's just a matter of stop doing the crappy work no one pay me to do anyway and do the fun stuff again...
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates? Is this really going to happen or are we going to just keep getting teased at something we can't get?

Looking forward to a progress report.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I haven't let this project go at all but everything is taking so much time right now.

The injection molding machine uses quite a lot of energy. I need to re-wire the workshop to not run together with the house hold that is sharing the cable right now, and then upgrade the power central to a much larger fuse.
We came to realize this after a few test runs when the main fuse popped. It simply didn't survive the power drawn from the main cable.

Re-wire the workshop to run in parallel with the house was not a big issue, but upgrading to a larger fuse is apparently a task not every electrician is allowed to do in my area so I have to wait for the power company's own personnel. And they are taking their time... Been waiting so to speak.
isachan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cheaper way to do injection molding with hot glue.
Have a look here:
http://hackaday.com/2014/05/12/injection-molding-with-hot-glue/
isachan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, 3D printing is another option...
shapeways.com
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been good all year. Will I be able to have a set of these under the Christmas tree this year?
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of waiting. Really, I want to have functional turn signal lights on my mirrors. I ride a bicycle to work frequently and the lack of a side signal that I can see makes it harder to interact with traffic at intersections. I want to make it very clear when I use my turn signals, in other words.

My turn signal lights have not yet been hooked up but I bought some lights that were meant for a diesel truck - a real one, not a pickup belonging to some yahoo that dreams he's driving a semi - and flattened a section of the mirror housing. The lights mount to that flat area on the bottom of the mirror housing.

I am buying some wiring boots to route my wires through the front edge of the doors.

Chuey
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have pictures of what you have so far, i'm interested to see what you are planning, i too want turn signal on my mirrors, i'm thinking about just drilling and sealing in a bunch of LED's.

Chuey wrote:
I got tired of waiting. Really, I want to have functional turn signal lights on my mirrors. I ride a bicycle to work frequently and the lack of a side signal that I can see makes it harder to interact with traffic at intersections. I want to make it very clear when I use my turn signals, in other words.

My turn signal lights have not yet been hooked up but I bought some lights that were meant for a diesel truck - a real one, not a pickup belonging to some yahoo that dreams he's driving a semi - and flattened a section of the mirror housing. The lights mount to that flat area on the bottom of the mirror housing.

I am buying some wiring boots to route my wires through the front edge of the doors.

Chuey

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my family got an opportunity to move abroad and so we did. My workshop is closed since the summer and converted into a storage house until I move back again. I haven't been checking thesamba since we locked up the house.

I didn't forget about the mirror LED though. I have been looking around in the US to find a smaller plastic injection factory, a part time workshop or even hobbyist that wants to make these. Even the Chinese factories are too expensive to use for this project (unless someone wants to order 6000 pairs of caps...). Unfortunately everyone I've spoken to is a fail, either they don't have the equipment to make the mold or not enough knowledge how to do it.
It's all about the price on the end product. I'm pretty sure that no one wants to buy a pair for 40-50 USD, and even with that price I have to make many to compensate the mold cost.

If someone in here has a connection to an injection company in the states, let me know.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about having them 3D printed?

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail-plastic
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: