Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Thermostat failure possible?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: New Thermostat failure possible? Reply with quote

Aloha all!

I have a newly rebuilt engine (by me) that is running hot.
Its a syncro engine with all coolant componants from the syncro put into a 1983 Vanagon.

I thought the coolant pipes under the van were crossed while I did the conversion, but no, I quadruple checked out everything.

I have a brand new Wahler 80°C thermostat ( 035121113 ): the engine and expansion tank get hot real quick, while radiator stays cold for a while, then gets real hot. It is not plugged and is fairly recent.

The cold pipe from radiator to T-stat cover is cold, for a while, then gets hot all of a sudden, making me think the thermostat doesn't close properly. Is that possible, or new failures usually never happen on this type of part?

(On vanagons,it is open at rest when cold, and closes when it gets hot, correct?)

Thank you Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you've got it backwards - the operation you're describing sounds normal.

When the engine first starts, the t'stat is closed until the engine gets up to operating temperature.
(Even before the t'stat opens, coolant is available to the heaters.) Once at at it's set temperature,
the t'stat opens completing the circuit to the radiator to cool the engine.

Pretty standard automotive theory...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as you installed the rebuilt engine, you immediatly also installed a new radiator--right?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
I'd say you've got it backwards - the operation you're describing sounds normal.

When the engine first starts, the t'stat is closed until the engine gets up to operating temperature.
(Even before the t'stat opens, coolant is available to the heaters.) Once at at it's set temperature,
the t'stat opens completing the circuit to the radiator to cool the engine.

Pretty standard automotive theory...

x2

I leave the cap off the expansion tank (and I don't fill it brim full) while running the engine up to operating temp after a refill. Keeping an eye on the tank, it's pretty obvious when the t-stat opens, at least on my van... it basically burps. Laughing

T-stats can be bad out of the box; best practice is to test a new one in boiling water before installing.

Additionally, the stock t-stat is 87°C (025121113F). The 80°C t-stat is considered a low-temp alternative (used primarily in year-round hot climates). When switching to the low-temp t-stat, you should also swap the cooling fan switch to the equivalent low-temp version.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you measuring how hot? By touch or with an infrared heat gun?
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find an test old german thermostats, i'd not be trusting a chinese part.
i test every german thermostat i find, the good ones get bagged up for that rainy day Wink

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thermostat is a shockingly simple product. Yet I hear of people mentioning defective ones out of the box once in a while on other auto groups. I personally have never run across one even though I change mine out early and thus have installed way more than my share. Though I actually am picky about the source now that I think of this. When I had a Subaru, I got the part from the dealer, I get my Audi ones from an Audi parts source, etc. So perhaps because I may never have used a chain store one, I've never had an issue.

If you are out of options or causes, I'd consider swapping it out as a cheap check. Then label as a spare if it turns out to be good. What else is on your radar as a possible cause? Sometimes if you yak a bit about it, something will jump out.

PS - fully closed when cold, fully open when hot. In a pan, they don't open as much as you'd expect.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need air flow over the radiator to get cooling, no air flow/no cooling. This is where the cooling fan comes in to give you air flow at idle and at lower road speeds. Without air flow the return from the radiator will be just a few degrees cooler than the coolant as it leaves to engine heading forward to the radiator and thus the engine will slowly overheat.

An 80°C thermostat should start to open at 180°F +/- which is hot enough to burn you if you hold your hand against the block.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why I like to use behr, the whaler 80' I had in mine with less than 12k failed... and its not the first time a whaler tstat failed on me...just saying...
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody Smile

Thank you all for your input!

T-stat is NOT installed backwards.
It is not a chinese knock off, it's a Wahler made in Germany.
It's been raining here for 3 days, hurricane outside the islands, so it's hard to test anything right but it's definetely getting too hot too quick, no matter if it's idling or not :/
I read on another site that t-stat works reverse of what we think, therefore removing it would cause coolant to not flow to radiator.
So since I live in hot climate, can't I modify it to keep it open at let's say 10mm?

Thermo switch, I don't know, I didn't think about it...I'll put in the AC vanagon model , since the van doesnt have AC, big chance it's the wrong model.

Radiator is definitely not new but looks like it's been replaced.
It's the Behr model for later vans.
Cold outlet going to t-stat is the vertical one connected to the elbowed rubber hose from what I saw on the Bentley book.
Maybe I should replace it anyway... I'll go get a Behr one monday locally.

Aloha!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Hi Everybody Smile

Thank you all for your input!

T-stat is NOT installed backwards.
It is not a chinese knock off, it's a Wahler made in Germany.
It's been raining here for 3 days, hurricane outside the islands, so it's hard to test anything right but it's definetely getting too hot too quick, no matter if it's idling or not :/
I read on another site that t-stat works reverse of what we think, therefore removing it would cause coolant to not flow to radiator.
So since I live in hot climate, can't I modify it to keep it open at let's say 10mm?

Thermo switch, I don't know, I didn't think about it...I'll put in the AC vanagon model , since the van doesnt have AC, big chance it's the wrong model.

Radiator is definitely not new but looks like it's been replaced.
It's the Behr model for later vans.
Cold outlet going to t-stat is the vertical one connected to the elbowed rubber hose from what I saw on the Bentley book.
Maybe I should replace it anyway... I'll go get a Behr one monday locally.

Aloha!

If you are getting hot water coming back from the radiator then the thermostat is probably doing its job just fine.

These are bypass style thermostats, so if they are removed the system will be in the bypass (the radiator) mode continually and will not cool. Lot of engine for the last 40-50 years have used bypass style thermostats and few mechanics and owner understand them still. Manufacturers use them because bypass system just plain work better at eliminating hot spots in the engine, but people still think the solution to an overheat problem when is in doubt to remove the thermostat and then they are puzzled as to why the over heating problem got worse. The average American mind locked up on automotive mechanics back around 1950 and has only regressed since then.

If you have a radiator that is mostly clogged you will not get sufficient cooling and the coolant will return to the engine too hot. You need an IR gun to know what your return cooling temperature is, there is no easy way to determine volume that I know of. You can also slowly scan the center of the radiator with an IR gun to see if the temps are pretty even top to bottom
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the area surrounding the radiator sender to the fan, then get a couple of readings from other areas on the face of it.

See what you come up with.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll have to get an IR gun, mine is reading all over the place on an even surface at room temperature Sad

Hurricane rain is still quite strong, I might off tomorrow and this I will let you guys know following your instructions.

Cluster gauge might read unaccuraty too, bit fan turns on easily and coolant expansion tank is hot as sh%t... That's where my concern is from, it was never that hot on the previous shitty 2.1L engine running with 1.9L injection :/

Stay tuned Smile

Goodnight!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright folks,

I got an IR gun.

Those things are stupid, they read all over the place.

After 1 minute of idling from starting the engine, top hose that goes from radiator to thermostat was cold but reading way hotter than the pipe below, that was barely becoming warm.
I tested it on the firewall, same thing, hotter than the "hot pipe" that goes to the radiator.
So I did it my way, since I worked as a plumber in France and I'm working into solar installations (hot water and photovoltaic)
I held my hand onto the pipes and hoses to feel them. Metallic pipes under the van, the hot one particularly, at idle, gets hotter on the top than on the bottom, due to slow flow from water pump at idle.
They are definitely not crossed.

I didn't take accurate measurements with the gun on the radiator, but I used it to confirm my understanding of the flow.
When you face the radiator, both hoses from the engine come in from the left (passenger side).
I could feel with my finger that there is a notch half way up the radiator, on that side, telling me the radiator is actually split in half: bottom half across the whole width, and top half.
Coolant comes in bottom left, travels across towards the right (driver's side),goes up to the top half, right side, then travels across radiator towards the left (passenger side), where the bleeder sits.
then it comes back down from the (left) side of the radiator.
IR gun measurements confirmed this theory. I measured also each "fin" that goes across the radiator, on the driver's side to see if a few were clogged.Nope.

I guess it's all fine and I was worried for nothing.

I then by passed the thermo switch, which is gray and new as well in order to run 2nd speed fan.
I then went back to the engine back and accelerated by hand a little bit over idle to bring (incrrease flow) cold coolant from radiator to engine.
Temperature seemed to drop at before and after thermostat.
Temperature on the long metallic pipe were lower (120's) on the middle than by the thermostat (150's) , then WAY HOTTER (200's) prior to the water pump flange inlet.

Right underneath is the exhaust pipe (Tencent's old exhaust pipe from many years back).
This makes me think at idle increases the inlet temperature to the water pump a lot.
I will have to make a shield of some sort.

I went driving the van mostly in neighborhood hills and temperature was steady 3/4 of the gauge.
I'm so used to the Subaru or M-Tdi's temperatures, I guess that's why I'm freaking out….

All seem ok I guess.

Thank you all for the help.

Mucho aloha!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right you have me confused. The coolant leaves the coolant manifold on the right side and goes forward to the radiator, it enters the upper of the two ports on the radiator and then crosses the rear set of tubes in the radiator, enters the tank on the thermoswitch (left) side and then returns via the front tubes to the right side again. Hence it leaves by the lower port and returns to the thermostat.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since both hoses are on the same end of the radiator the coolant has to flow back and forth through the core. As Alika noted above, Vanagon radiator back and forth flow is by upper and lower halves of the core. The end tank is divided in half on the hose end, upper half and lower half with a hose to each half. Hot coolant flows from the hose end of the rad through the bottom half of the rad core. Then it goes up the tank on the temp switch end and comes back the other way through the top half of the rad core.

One of the ways that Vanagon radiators fail is that the wall between the tank halves on the hose end can crack inside the tank. This lets coolant come in one hose and go back out the other without having to pass through the radiator core. Then the coolant leaving the radiator is hotter than coolant in the radiator core.

Mark
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
All right you have me confused. The coolant leaves the coolant manifold on the right side and goes forward to the radiator correct, it enters the upper of the two ports on the radiator (correct, like on my van) and then crosses the rear set of tubes in the radiator (what's that rear "tubes?" I'm confused about that. I don't think there are "rear tubes, the radiator seems divided top half and bottom half, the passenger side ?tank? is divided in 2, forcing the coolant to go towards the thermoswitch on the driver's side:from there it has no choice other than going upwards in the driver's side ?tank?, then back towards the bleeder across the radiator), enters the tank on the thermoswitch (left) side and then returns via the front tubes to the right side again. Hence it leaves by the lower port and returns to the thermostat correct, like mine. I've asked confirmation about the elbowed rubber hose being connected to the pipe that goes to T-stat earlier in this thread as I didn't trust the drawing on the Bentley book. .

danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI that I had a new Wahler fail after 3 weeks earlier this year. I just got in one day and the temp shot straight up. Swapped it out and all is good. I've heard of one or two others doing the same recently. Maybe they had a bad batch?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danbar wrote:
Just an FYI that I had a new Wahler fail after 3 weeks earlier this year. I just got in one day and the temp shot straight up. Swapped it out and all is good. I've heard of one or two others doing the same recently. Maybe they had a bad batch?

Dang, I hope not.

Mine looks like it came from an old stock, the packaging box was a little rough, bought from a guy on ebay who had only this one for sale.

I can finally drive the van, so I will see. It's rented out friday, better be good Evil or Very Mad

Aloha all!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only use dealer thermostats. I've had too many Whaler and Behr go bad. And when some of the thermostats are behind timing belts (modern Audi's), you make sure that the one you put in is going to work correctly!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: